Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
What did u think of it?? - HSN forum - Page 3

What did u think of it??

82 replies to this topic

#41 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ May 14 2004, 06:22 PM)
well i did question 1 for macbeth and question 8 on The house with the green shutters which possible im the only person in my class to do so because the poetry question was the same as the one in the prelim - which i got a terrible 14/25.

The close reading was pretty good i actually was finished with a lot of time to spare unlike most folks so don't sure if thats good or bad. Same happened for the critical essays but that was a quick hand and spent the last 20mins fixed wierd sentence and handwriting

Actually quite pleased all in all

a terrible 14/25, calm yourself. Not great no, but nothing to be ashamed off.

#42 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (sparky @ May 14 2004, 06:22 PM)
And I certiainly don't agree it was one of the easiest, looked about the same standard as last years, and really it was still all difficult work on the day, not everyone will have done as well as they have thought, and some will do better than they have thought.

The Close Reading was intended to be much easier this year as well as the marking scheme for the 2004 Close Reading.

The pass marks will definitely be inflated, sorry to point that out.

#43 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 14 2004, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (sparky @ May 14 2004, 06:22 PM)
And I certiainly don't agree it was one of the easiest, looked about the same standard as last years, and really it was still all difficult work on the day, not everyone will have done as well as they have thought, and some will do better than they have thought.

The Close Reading was intended to be much easier this year as well as the marking scheme for the 2004 Close Reading.

The pass marks will definitely be inflated, sorry to point that out.

Stop being the killjoy mate. dry.gif

#44 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:32 PM

Sorry, I didn't want to build people's hopes up so they are gutted in August. But this is definite and not an opinion about the marks.

#45 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:35 PM

I was thinking the same myself and I was going to write anger/ annoyance but I thought that could be conceived as two possible answers and an unfair advantage in gaining the mark. It would be very harsh if they didnt accept anger.
I'll send you it but its in 3 parts mate, and how do I find outyour email?

#46 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 14 2004, 06:08 PM)
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. After comments from centres across Scotland this was one of the easiest English papers ever! Lucky you!

However it is likely that because of this the proportion of people getting A's B's and C's will not change. The pass mark will rise at least to the priori according to exam insiders that means for an A at least 70% and that's surprisingly not easy especially due to strict marking in critical essays.

I'm not sure if this is true!

First of all the markers haven't even seen the candidates papers yet; they don't know how everyone is done.

Secondly, the SQA only work out the pass marks in July after seeing all the marks and working out boundaries. It seems you are jumping a few months ahead of yourself!

#47 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:04 PM

indeed if the whole country thinks this is easy then maybe their is a possabilty in what you say but ally is right its far from concrete. Just the fact some people found the ideas in passage 2 difficult could blow your idea out the water.

Anyway the critical essays could bring the pass mark of the close reading down just to get the right balence of A's B's and C's in overall terms

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#48 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:06 PM

Wait and see in August then! tongue.gif

It will take me a while to get throught the marking scheme.

But I'd imagine for the first question:

1 mark for the correct definition of paranoia: something along the lines of an irrational fear
2nd marks for justification from passage: the short questions convey the sense of drama but the petty questions of overdramatisation conveys the unneccessary worry of such a simple everyday event.

#49 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:08 PM

Lots of people are having problems with the UNICEF question 11 one. I think this could have been becasue no parameters of where the information was was given becasue i thought it was actually quite easy and i aint no genious at these particular things

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#50 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

I will look at Q 11 now, I have briefly looked at the tone question and am sceptical as to whether the tone is anger in itself.

#51 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 14 2004, 06:25 PM)
I'm not sure if that is acceptable for "anger".  My teacher said on answering questions on tone dont use anger, happy or sad as they are often vague.  Disgust is too strong a word for this answer.

Have a look at the marking schemes, even for close reading it is very objective marking for questions on tone with little leaway.

Official SQA Answers for English 2003 Close Reading Exam clearly state:

4( b ) angry justified by, eg: "risk their lives",
obscene sums", traffickers of human
misery", ...

So I think the word angry is a perfectly suitable word to use!

#52 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:13 PM

I did no 5 on "Sunset Song" Lol brilliant novel, 'mon the Scots!

I twisted qu 15 for Hawk Roosting. I thought that the hawk was quite corrupt as he seemed to think that he ahs the right to use others, that he is perfect and unkillable. Anyone else think this is right or do that kinda thing? Probably messed it up but a B would do me nicely but a C and I would need to repeat ohmy.gif(

A lot of people found the Close Reading hard. When you think about it there will always be people finding it extremely hard and extremely difficult. The cut offs won't go up too much I hope, so please be nice markers!!!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#53 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:17 PM

OK this is a preliminary answer but I will look into it later and edit this post.

You will lose both marks if you use any main words on the passage for this. Try to gloss on the key words for the contradiction.

One mark for the point of UNICED report. One mark for the contrast with Furedi's.

In short, UNICED are saying we have nothing to worry about whereas Furedi says we need more protection:

Essentially the UNICEF report shows that Britain's children are not in significant danger, in general. They are much less likely to become involved in incidents than other countries. This contasts Furedi's point of view that paranoia is required for the children to be safer and that parents should be even more cautious.

As I said I will look into the tone one tonight but I think it is too general for the information given and that if you did you may struggly to support it for 2 marks than lifting en-bloc from the passage. This was acceptable for 2003 given the different tone of passage.

#54 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:21 PM

In short, UNICED are saying we have nothing to worry about whereas Furedi says we need more protection:

Essentially the UNICEF report shows that Britain's children are not in significant danger, in general. They are much less likely to become involved in incidents than other countries. This contasts Furedi's point of view that paranoia is required for the children to be safer and that parents should be even more cautious.

I got it the other way around I think. Furedi says that children are being mollycoddled too much basically but UNICEF reports suggests that they are not as our children are safe due to the cauious attitudes which British parents have. Well in more detail obviously but along those lines.

The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#55 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:28 PM

OK I have read both passages properly, just as well too.

That's correct, thanks for pointing that out purple stars.

One mark for saying that Furedi thinks parents are being over-protective towards their children e.g. by driving them to school even at such short distances.

The second mark for UNICEF suggests that children in Britain are safer than counterparts but not because of parents attitudes. The last line in the paragraph points this contradiction out:due to the driving example pointed out by Furedi justifying why they are safer.

#56 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:43 PM

I would hate to get my hopes up, but I reckon I should have a C. I though the poetry questions were poor, but luckily I wasn't relying on them.

As a small point is your overall grade broken down on your certificate. And if so into which sections and is it broken into grades or bands etc?

Chris

#57 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:51 PM

Russel for National Qualifications (Int2, Higher, AH etc) you only get an overall grade on your certificate. No breakdown like SG and no bands on the certificate.

A good tone to have commented on is frustrated!!! The analysis would be that the charities, for example, are hypocritical that they say that parents are being over-protective and at the same time tell parents not to leave their children on their own in open places.

They might accept annoyed and possibly (angry) if the examiners are generous. I think they are wanted you to use as much of the three points in that paragraph for the tone.

#58 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:55 PM

No only your school/college knows what bands you get.

In your certificate you only get the Grade you achieved, and also a list of the Units you passed.

#59 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:56 PM

Woops didn't see the above post.

#60 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 14 2004, 07:51 PM)
Russel for National Qualifications (Int2, Higher, AH etc) you only get an overall grade on your certificate.  No breakdown like SG and no bands on the certificate.

Cheers for the info cool.gif I think I'll stop reading this board as the more I read the more answers I read which I didn't get unsure.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users