Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
What did u think of it?? - HSN forum - Page 2

What did u think of it??

82 replies to this topic

#21 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (ally @ May 14 2004, 04:31 PM)
What did everyone get for that UNICEF question?

I didn't understand that , as it seemed to be the same.

Also what did everyone write for the last question. A lot of my friends wrote about like 1 and a half page on that on the point of view and facts, but I'm sure that would have to be Analysis? Or maybe not?

I also agree that the second passage seemed quite crap, which is quite common. They usually always pick one good passage and then some really bad passage to cancel it out.

O well! It wasn't too bad - I'm hoping for an A!

I only had the time to write about 5 lines. sad.gif

#22 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:39 PM

I really hope the percentage to get an A is low this year aswell.

Does anyone know what it was in 2001?

I know that it was 64% last year and 65% the year before!

#23 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Stirling Bhoy @ May 14 2004, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Fatally Yours @ May 14 2004, 01:11 PM)
The close reading was okay but I didn't see much of a contrast between the UNICEF thing and the Freidmvfskgm guy.

For the essays i did no.3 for Hamlet and no.14 for "In The Snack Bar". 

I've written better essays in the past though.  I think it's a borderline A/B.  If i get a B I'll appeal for an A with my prelim though.

Wooooooo!!! I done the same for "In The Snack-Bar." Q 14!!

Anybody do no.2 for Romeo and Juliet, rebelling against authority.

Well the close reading was not too difficult, could have been worse, I finished but my last few answers were poor. Good luck folks! Hop you done well.

I did that question for romeo and juliet - it was gift!

the exam was excellent... but now i'm worried the cut offs are going to go up because everyone else found it easy.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#24 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Martin @ May 14 2004, 04:46 PM)

the exam was excellent... but now i'm worried the cut offs are going to go up because everyone else found it easy.

I do agree that the exam was really good this year aswell.

I also agree with your concern because every1 seems to have done wonderfully well in Paper 1 (not that this is a bad thing! - just that it makes it harder to get an A). It seems that they (examiners) finally buckled under the pressure over last years exam.

But then again the Critical Essays questions weren't the best! The poetry questions were awful.

#25 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:14 PM

I never knew that the pass mark for an A was as low as tht in the last few years!
.....Maybee there is hope for me yet!

#26 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:17 PM

I agree the poetry questions were pretty poor I thought. I done q12, a poem in which the passing of time was important, and done that on Journey of the Magi, since it emphasises his dillema as he is still affected by it years after! Anyone else do this?

I also done q3 on intense emotion for R and J, done Act 3 Scene 5 where J has the argument with her parents.

The close reading I am very good and didn't find the paper really hard at all!
for the UNICEF question the contrast was, that the frank guy said that we shouldn't be driving our children to school as in countries like germany etc they don't do this, but UNICEF published a report saying we should drive them to school as children in this country are amongst the safest in the world. Thats what I wrote anyway.

Don't think I'll get an A, but I'll hope for a B, if I get a C I'll need to re-do it, but at the moment English is over! tongue.gif And thats a relief...
Mark

#27 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:31 PM

I'm not saying if I done well or not, I'm just waiting till August. What date is it this year?? Last year it was the 12th my b/day dry.gif

#28 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:35 PM

Just remember all you people who are saying it was easy that this is an extremely bad group of people to use as the basis for deciding whether or not the papers were good.

We are probably a smarter than average group of people as we are talking about the exams hence taking them seriously.

I know people who though it was AWFUL difficult.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#29 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (werlop @ May 14 2004, 05:35 PM)
Just remember all you people who are saying it was easy that this is an extremely bad group of people to use as the basis for deciding whether or not the papers were good.

We are probably a smarter than average group of people as we are talking about the exams hence taking them seriously.

I know people who though it was AWFUL difficult.

That is very true, good point.

#30 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:38 PM

I was only expressing my opinion, and my strong point is the close reading, personally I felt I let myself down in the essays and I could probably have written them differently, especially the poetry ones but hey lets just wait to the 10th August before getting carried away!
Mark

#31 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (sparky @ May 14 2004, 05:38 PM)
I was only expressing my opinion, and my strong point is the close reading, personally I felt I let myself down in the essays and I could probably have written them differently, especially the poetry ones but hey lets just wait to the 10th August before getting carried away!

Yeh my point, no need in getting carried away, dry.gif still looks like it could be a bad b/day for me. sad.gif

#32 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:03 PM

I know many people don't want to get into a debate about answers but did yous all get it was an angry tone and the use of " I am sick of" and " I am fed up of" as back-up?

#33 fraser1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:08 PM

I found the close reading to be resonable - only getting stuck on the last question as i didn't fully understand it.
the critcal essays went o.k! i did q3 for "Macbeth" and 14 for "To a Mouse".
I got a B in the prelim so lets hope !!

Good luck to everyone else!!

Fraz cool.gif tongue.gif huh.gif

#34 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (ally @ May 14 2004, 04:39 PM)
I really hope the percentage to get an A is low this year aswell.

Does anyone know what it was in 2001?

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. After comments from centres across Scotland this was one of the easiest English papers ever! Lucky you!

However it is likely that because of this the proportion of people getting A's B's and C's will not change. The pass mark will rise at least to the priori according to exam insiders that means for an A at least 70% and that's surprisingly not easy especially due to strict marking in critical essays.

#35 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

I don't need an A in it anyway, I only want a B, but theres no point speculating!
We will all find out 10th August!
Mark

#36 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (Marty @ May 14 2004, 06:03 PM)
I know many people don't want to get into a debate about answers but did yous all get it was an angry tone and the use of " I am sick of" and " I am fed up of" as back-up?

Yep exactle my answer!!

#37 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

And I certiainly don't agree it was one of the easiest, looked about the same standard as last years, and really it was still all difficult work on the day, not everyone will have done as well as they have thought, and some will do better than they have thought.
Mark

#38 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

well i did question 1 for macbeth and question 8 on The house with the green shutters which possible im the only person in my class to do so because the poetry question was the same as the one in the prelim - which i got a terrible 14/25.

The close reading was pretty good i actually was finished with a lot of time to spare unlike most folks so don't sure if thats good or bad. Same happened for the critical essays but that was a quick hand and spent the last 20mins fixed wierd sentence and handwriting

Actually quite pleased all in all

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#39 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:25 PM

Nice one StirlingBhoy- it comes as no surprise the two Celtic fans get the right (hopefully) answer biggrin.gif

#40 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:25 PM

I'm not sure if that is acceptable for "anger". My teacher said on answering questions on tone dont use anger, happy or sad as they are often vague. Disgust is too strong a word for this answer.

Have a look at the marking schemes, even for close reading it is very objective marking for questions on tone with little leaway.

I haven't seen the paper yet, but from what you are saying a possibly tone is disapointment or annoyance.

Does anyone fancy sending me a copy. Perhaps I could answer specific questions as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users