Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
What did u think of it?? - HSN forum

What did u think of it??

82 replies to this topic

#1 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:43 AM

I just got bak home the now, and im quite pleased as the Close Reading paper was quite straight forward, and not as hard as some past papers. Hope i get a good score. biggrin.gif
For the Critical Essay paper the choices were not bad this year, i did my essays on prose on "To Kill A Mocking Bird", and poetry on "The Horses".
I think i ve done ok, and atlast i can now relax English is over biggrin.gif ,
just another 4 to go sad.gif

cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#2 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:55 AM

Hey, close reading was good, but I wrote waay to much for the questions which left me really pushing for time towards the end. I finished litterlly as the invigilator called "time". Does 12 pages sound like too much??

Critical essays were very good. I did number 7 on "1984" and number 12 on "In Mrs. Tilscher's Class" I wrote 7 pages for number 7 and 5 pages for number 12. I think i did well with the essays (at least the first one)

Overall, I am predicted for an A (I was first in English in the prelim). Hopefully I will get an A straight off, but if not, I have enough to appeal with.

Hope everyone did well.

One down FIVE more to go!
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#3 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:58 AM

5 more to go?

I write quite a lot of pages for my critical essays too, but not as much as 12 pages for close reading.
I did questions 6 and 12 tongue.gif

cool.gif

user posted image

#4 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE ($impl¥_®i¢h @ May 14 2004, 11:58 AM)
5 more to go?

Yip, doing six highers
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#5 Bigmanstu

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:21 PM

Thank goodness thats over!

Close Reading - Couldn't have asked for more
Critical Essay 1 - had to severly twist Hawk Roosting to fit the 'corrupt' question.
Critical Essay 2 - intense emotions in Act 3 Scene 1 of R&J was alright.

I just hope I get an A and then thats english finished with wink.gif

#6 louise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:21 PM

Hey how did every1 do in the english. I done the question on setting for the novel "Cal" and done the important character for "Braveheart" but the poerty question were terrible. Close reading was not bad

#7 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:41 PM

I really struggled for time in the Close Reading and as a result i think I done really badly in the second passage and was rushing to get onto the 5 mark question ( If anyone has a copy of the paper could they e-mail me it please cos the invigilator wouldnt let me take the reading, i got the essay paper though).
The essays went pretty well- good questions for Romeo and Juliet and Old Man And The Sea.
Im pretty sure ive passed and a got a C and quite pleased, a bit dissapoined as I a was aiming for a B and everyone else seems to have found the close reading very easy and I thought passage 2 was pretty hard sad.gif

#8 GillyBaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:48 PM

As has been previously commented on, I really felt myself stuggeling for time in Close Reading and I missed out the 4-marker question on Passage 2 about "how does the writers language..." or something along those lines! I didn't have a watch and was only left with 20 minutes to do 20 marks worth of questions which really paniced me, other than that I thought the paper was rather straight forward! The drama questions were not bad although nothing I had studied came up and I felt the poetry questions were aweful! mad.gif But apart from that wink.gif! Just need to study for Maths next Friday now (lucky us! tongue.gif) Hope you all done well anyway! biggrin.gif

#9 30111987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:53 PM

thought the reading was ok

tried no 5 for sunset song, the one about admiring a character

I have failed as I tried to do an essay saying that the Sparrow in 'Sparrow' by Norman MacCaig was hero, the poetry questions were too limiting and didn't properly cover any poem we did in class mad.gif

#10 ayemckay

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Location:in a room, in a house, in a town, in a city, in a country, in a continent etc etc

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:02 PM

hey!
woooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo, english is over!
i thot the close readin was pretty good, and i just managed to finish in time!
i did question 8 for 'the lighthouse' and question 15 for 'havisham' in the essays
the first one was ok i think, but the second one i was making things up!
it also didn't help that the library(where we did our exam) had turned into a sauna!
i actually had to leave at one point cuz i thought i was going to faint!
ah well, it's over!
i'm sure everyone has done really well!
jennifer xxx

#11 Fatally Yours

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:11 PM

The close reading was okay but I didn't see much of a contrast between the UNICEF thing and the Freidmvfskgm guy.

For the essays i did no.3 for Hamlet and no.14 for "In The Snack Bar".

I've written better essays in the past though. I think it's a borderline A/B. If i get a B I'll appeal for an A with my prelim though.

#12 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:13 PM

i thot passage 1 of the close reading was fine, the 2nd one was a lot more challenging, i didn't really get the idea behind it! and i was pretty pushed for time too

as for the essays, i did no 1 on Hamlet and 8 or Tess, so i think that went alright

i was hoping to do poetry but the questions didn't fit

#13 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:23 PM

Hey!!!
English exam is OVER!!!!!! Way hey!!!!
I think the exam wasn't too bad, well not as bad as i expected!!
I nearly ran out of time in the close readin so i was kinda panicin!!! i never really got wot the 2nd close readin passage was about either!
The essays were the same it was 11.45am and i was still on the first essay!!!!!!
But i managed to finish the second essay thank god!!!!!
Lol!!! smile.gif

#14 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:27 PM

I think most people were pushed for time with the close reading, i was it took me longer to do the questions on section 1, and i only had about 15 mins to do section 2, i didnt really get wat the passage was about either, i just tried to hurry and get on to the last question the 5 marker on both passages.

cool.gif

user posted image

#15 broxibabi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:21 PM

Im a bit worried actually....but thats me! I always do this after everything,I panic after that I havn't done it well! I thought the Close Reading this year was really fair, its been much worse other years so if I failed that one ill be really upset. As for the questions,I twisted quite a bit in the novel, I done number 8 and had to make a bit of change! As for poems,that wasnt that bad,i done number 12 and I think I gave it a good shot anyway. Just wait and see now! My English teacher had a go at me though afterwards for not doing a question that we went over the other day...could have been doin without that after!

#16 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:31 PM

I thought overall the whole exam was quite fair.I was pushed for time in the close reading.I think I missed about 2 questions about 2 marks each.In the essays I did question 3 for Romeo and Juliet and I focused on Juliet's soliloquy.For the cone-gatherers I did 7 and made half of the response up about me liking the book (i HATE it!)But I suppose I won't know till august and I don't like to think of how well I did till I get my results.

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#17 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Fatally Yours @ May 14 2004, 01:11 PM)
The close reading was okay but I didn't see much of a contrast between the UNICEF thing and the Freidmvfskgm guy.

For the essays i did no.3 for Hamlet and no.14 for "In The Snack Bar".

I've written better essays in the past though. I think it's a borderline A/B. If i get a B I'll appeal for an A with my prelim though.

Wooooooo!!! I done the same for "In The Snack-Bar." Q 14!!

Anybody do no.2 for Romeo and Juliet, rebelling against authority.

Well the close reading was not too difficult, could have been worse, I finished but my last few answers were poor. Good luck folks! Hop you done well.

#18 onlycowdenfanhere

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (30111987 @ May 14 2004, 12:53 PM)
I have failed as I tried to do an essay saying that the Sparrow in 'Sparrow' by Norman MacCaig was hero, the poetry questions were too limiting and didn't properly cover any poem we did in class mad.gif

I chose "Sparrow" aswell and I chose the same question - 15. You haven't failed, calm down! Well...if you have twisted it properly u'll be fine. Because technically he does become a "mock" hero. You'll be fine. I went straight up to my teacher after the exam, she said question 15 was the right one to do and if you have answered it correctly, I should get 14 at least!

Done "Marrakech" for question 11. Gift really. Close reading was alright, could of been harder. Passage 2 made no sense though. I thought they were both for the ideas of that Fredivn bloke! Had 10 mins to go with 3 questions left. Rushed it to get to the 5 mark question. I'm needing a B, got 51% in the prelim. Here's hoping the markers want to be nice.... unsure.gif

#19 Carlo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:23 PM

Hello!
One down, 5 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought the close reading was ok, but like many others it seems, I was pushed for time!
I hated the woman in the first passage and thought that the first passage was a lot better!
I did "The Great Gatsby" for prose (the setting question) which was what I was hoping would come up but the poetry questions were really shit!
I did the heroic one for Journey of the Magi but I dunno how its turned out sad.gif sad.gif
Did anyone else write about Journey of the Magi?

#20 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:31 PM

What did everyone get for that UNICEF question?

I didn't understand that , as it seemed to be the same.

Also what did everyone write for the last question. A lot of my friends wrote about like 1 and a half page on that on the point of view and facts, but I'm sure that would have to be Analysis? Or maybe not?

I also agree that the second passage seemed quite crap, which is quite common. They usually always pick one good passage and then some really bad passage to cancel it out.

O well! It wasn't too bad - I'm hoping for an A!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users