Private School / State School

202 replies to this topic

Poll: Which kind of school do you go to? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which kind of school do you go to?

1. Private School (3 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. State School (33 votes [91.67%])

Percentage of vote: 91.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 kirsty1988

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Relationships<br />Friendships<br />Food<br />XBOX!<br />Dancing my own way

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:34 PM

Do private schools have cool uniforms? I've seen afew students walking about with fancy kilts and blazer's around Edinburgh. I goto school in my white trainers, black pin-striped flared trousers and a black and pink Etnies hoody with the Quiksilver bag accessory lol. Wow isn't that posh! cool.gif laugh.gif
Kirsty Worsty

#152 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 21 2005, 06:36 PM)
i know why they behave like they do..because they are dragged up normally by parents that had them when they could hardly look after themselves. Not to mention the fact they are thick on a whole new league of stupidity

dont expect me to have any sympathy for that lot they believe they are better than me with all the slagging and bullying....how dare they mad.gif

View Post

Stereotyping sad.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#153 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:51 PM

i am not stereotyping if i was then i would be relating family income to NED's or something similar. I mean its a fact that you mearn your behaviour from your influences at a young age ie your parents and a NEd is a stupid person without the intelligence to recognise there short comings

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#154 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:06 PM

There used to be lots of neds in my year who came from perfectly nice households. They just wanted to fit in.

#155 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:25 PM

they aren't really proper neds though if they are just good actors

#156 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:28 PM

Ha, so that's OK? laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#157 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ Feb 21 2005, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE(chicken licking @ Feb 20 2005, 10:11 PM)
That's not nice. There parents didn't all have the money that they have because it grew on trees. They worked for it and are just reaping the rewards.

View Post

Ok....and your point is? I go back to what I said, just because someone's mummy or daddy got a place on the board of directors, why should their child receive a better education?

And no, I don't particularly want to be rich. Infact, I couldn't care less. So long as I have enough to live on, I will be content. Human greed for wealth is simply a product of the system we live in; we'd all much rather benefit ourselves than the people who really need it.

Entirely off-topic, but I also think it's a sad reflection on society when people derive enjoyment from chasing and killing foxes. More middle/upper class toffery mad.gif

View Post

So you never wanted anything? Never desired to have something. So what are you going to do with extra cash. Burn it? Or give it to the *less fortunate*

So is it fair that people who work harder aren’t allowed to have what they want and those who couldn’t care less and are living off the government should receive the same reward.

#158 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:58 PM

He will probably do what the SSP MSP's do take a wage of a "skilled workmen" blink.gif and the other £30,000 they....actually i dont know what happens to the rest of the taxpayers money that is allocated as their wage

#159 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:58 PM

Are you saying there's something wrong with doing that?

#160 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

No I never said it was wrong. It's extreme.

#161 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:39 PM

of course its wrong i mean they are using it as a gimmick

Why just a skilled worker, why not a unskilled worker or go the whole 9 yards and live off benifits because the people in these social bands are the only people who will vote SSP

#162 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:31 PM

The only people who will vote SSP are living off benefits? You're quite wrong there and its quite arrogant of you to assume that is the case. I don't understand your logic that if the SSP MSPs are going to take wage cuts - because the don't feel they need the additional salary of that of your average skilled worker in Scotland, and they are influential public figures with this going against what they stand for and their desire for greater equality - they may as well "go the whole 9 yards and live off benefits".

#163 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:42 PM

well actually its not arrogant because those living off benifits and unskilled workers are the only people that will benifit from the SSP "policies".

my logic is nothing to do with having no need for a greater wage its to do with martyrdom...they are using myselfs as objects of sympathy to stand out in the Scottish parliament. I mean really you would have to have a pretty good reason to be given money and not accept it

#164 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

Well, the SSP don't have the sort of marketing budgets the bigger parties have. I don't see anything wrong with what they do as regards their salaries. People shouldn't be criticised for not taking money - if they choose to not to take money then it isn't harming anyone. I know people who voted SSP who aren't on benefits so its not just the people who would benefit most from their policies that vote for them, rather people who want to see greater equality in Scotland.

#165 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(chicken licking @ Feb 21 2005, 09:56 PM)
So is it fair that people who work harder aren’t allowed to have what they want and those who couldn’t care less and are living off the government should receive the same reward.

View Post

Have you ever considered people don't work for a reason? Maybe they are unwell, or have children to look after. Maybe they are a single parent, or a drug user. Maybe they don't actually want to go into work just so some capitalist fat cat can get even richer.

Have you ever considered that a lot of people don't beleive in the system we live in? If someone goes out to work for a salary of under £10000 per anum, they are wasting their time. They would do better staying on benefits. And remember, no one gets unemployment benefit unless they are activley looking for a job.

And Dave, if you actually do some *factual* reading, the SSP's policies would benefit the majority of Scotland's population. The only increased taxing would be on those who are in the highest brackets of income. Although I don't agree with all they say, they are a party of the people.

And remember, the SSP aim to bring the lower living standards up, NOT the higher ones down.

#166 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:04 PM

the SSP was an extreamist coaliation of some seriously OTT parties (basically communists and extreamist labour workers party type)

This idea of equality is all very well but what it really means is tax the rich dry and spend on the poor. How is that right. Its a tough world out their i shouldn't have to pay to keep myself and my family as well as the rest of the community.

The SSP say they will only tax the rich but really the SSP have no interest in the middle class...other than for votes.

If you actually read their website its full of rubbish and nonesence jargon that actually has no meaning

#167 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

Maybe you would care to be more specific when you talk about "rubbish" and "nonesence jargon"? One minute you're saying the only people that vote for the SSP are those on benefits, the next you're saying they're only interested in the middle class for their votes?

#168 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(bred2k4 @ Feb 22 2005, 08:16 PM)
Maybe you would care to be more specific when you talk about "rubbish" and "nonesence jargon"? One minute you're saying the only people that vote for the SSP are those on benefits, the next you're saying they're only interested in the middle class for their votes?

View Post

LOL, doesn't know if he's coming or going this Dave fellow. As for the SSP being a coalition of left-wing extremists, you're waaaaay out there. Communism would never advocate taking part in the corrupt democracy we live in. Remember communism advocates a violent revolution in which the working class seize power from the ruling capitalist class.

The Labour Party deviated from their ideology of social democracy, and since, there has been no major leftist party in the UK. However, the SSP has made large inroads, gaining 6 european election seats I believe.

#169 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

No you see this is where you are wrong. However, you are correct extreame politics never work in this country...we are to good at democracy

Communism has nothing to do with revolution as a rule. People who believe in the communist ideals will use democracy to gain power if that is the only method...as in this country.

Look at 1930's franch they had no russian style revolution but they had a popular front government and a few communist ministers

#170 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 22 2005, 08:36 PM)
No you see this is where you are wrong. However, you are correct extreame politics never work in this country...we are to good at democracy

Communism has nothing to do with revolution as a rule. People who believe in the communist ideals will use democracy to gain power if that is the only method...as in this country.

Look at 1930's franch they had no russian style revolution but they had a popular front government and a few communist ministers

View Post

Actually, communism DOES involve a revolution of the proletariat. Communism was a term first used by Marx and Engels (read the Manifesto of The Communist Party). As such, *pure* communism always requires a revolution. Otherwise you speak of Social Democracy. The bourgouise are not going to simply give power up if a communist party got more votes. Hell, I would bet the capitalists would definately advocate violence as a means of repressing communism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users