• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Listening How do I get better at it???

djh1878

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:50 PM

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone knew any good websites for improving my listening before the exam. unsure.gif Can you download the past paper listening passages anywhere? It just seems a bit pointless reading a transcript to do a listening paper.

If not, any other ideas?

bred

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:00 PM

My teacher last year made a cassette for people in my class with loads of past listening exam/exam type extracts/conversations. I listened to it and practiced writing down as much as I could possibly translate for each one.

Discogirl17

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:53 PM

You could also practic with the advanced linguaphone french tape collection available from libraries.

xpurple_starsx

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

I know that websites to practice listening do exist but I don't have their addresses, maybe you could ask your teacher?

I've always had a bit of trouble with the listening. My teacher taught me to write down the word I thought I heard and see if I can get a meaning that way. read the question and have an idea what the answer could be. If you can't get anything for that question at least you might have an educated guess to put down. Sorry I can't think of anything else!

superstar

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:04 PM

Also in the exam if you dont no wot a word means and think that it mite b the answer rite the french down then when the listening is finished then look it up in the dictionary!

bred

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

French rap radio station "Skyrock" (you can listen online):
http://www.skyrock.com

st-and Paul

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

A good way to practise French listening is to get French films, put on the english subtitles and try and follow what the actors etc are saying. Try this again, until you feel that you are following the plot in French language without subtitles. Listening ot native french speakers is the best possible way of improving your listening skill because natives speak a hell of a lot faster than you will get in the listening exam. It also prepares you for Uni french (if u are brave enough to do tht), where you are given language classes in French by a native tutor.

bred

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

I completely agree. My dad improved his French no end by watching French TV/films.

Amo

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:02 PM

Even by changing dvds such as the simpsons to french can help- my teacher even reccomends putting french subtitles on and see if you can follow the subtitles.

st-and Paul

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

That is more likely to improve reading and vocab skills rather than actual listening skills. In French further on when you receive language classes in French given by a native, the hardest thing is not to relate french vocab to english vocab. It is (in my opinion) harder to follow what the native actually says, if they are unclear in their pronounciation etc then you dont stand a chance. I have spoken with quite a few natives like this and the hardest thing is to hear the word clearly, then you can think "what is that in English?" In school French they are a bit more understanding of this, but if you try to achieve better listening skills than those needed at Higer level then you will improve no end. And at school where you dont have the luxury of 2 spoken French tutorials a week with a native, the only way to do it is to watch films in French. The thing with having French subtitles is that you will still have the simpsons speaking in English, it helps but it isnt quite the same.

smb

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

I've got my listening prelim on tuesday.

And I just CAN NOT do listening, its impossible and I'm getting worried about it. I have lots of papers to practise with tapes but I've tried adn they talk so damn FAST mad.gif

I think the fact that I have done french through open learning and not really heard much spoken fench throughout the year hasn't helped.

Right does anyone want to come to Edinburgh and sit the paper for me be kind and give me some tips. smile.gif

st-and Paul

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

I study French at University. I can help if you need it still, I get two language classes with a native twice a week and this is conducted entirely in French and because of this my listening skills have improved. I skipped Higher French and did the equivalent of a AH last semester for my first semester module Fr1011 so I dont know how the Higher paper is structured, if you tell me what its like, ie how many times (if applicable) do you get to hear the extract etc; length of questions etc then I will try and help you.

loved-up-loon

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:21 PM

I know its a bit late this year considering the exam is tomorrow but for everybody doing french next year. buy the course notes! it comes with a CD and has listening exercises and has helped me. Is it just me or does anybody get a fright and jump whenever the guy on the tape says "now listen to the second recording" Cause its been so quiet for the two minutes everybody forgets whats going on!(or at least i do!)

cc100

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(loved-up-loon @ May 15 2006, 03:21 PM) View Post

Is it just me or does anybody get a fright and jump whenever the guy on the tape says "now listen to the second recording" Cause its been so quiet for the two minutes everybody forgets whats going on!(or at least i do!)

LMAO! You'd think I would have stopped that after 6 years of French, but no. I nearly jumped out of my skin in the Higher cos I was concentrating so hard. Think I let out a shriek once, too. laugh.gif

loved-up-loon

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

I think everybody does, they should tell you how long it is before the second listening starts! and the voice just makes it worse!

smb

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

LOL aye, its similar for music.

A couple of weeks ago, a boy in my class shouted out "M-MMAM!" after one of the gaps huh.gif laugh.gif

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic