• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced Higher History

keith

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:11 AM

Ok, in our school we're allowed to take Advanced Higher History without having had to have taken either Standard Grade or Hgher. I thought Advanced Higher seemed interesting, as its on Japan in our school. I was wondering if I'm in over my head though taking it at Advanced; will I be out of my depth when I start the course?

$impl¥_®i¢h

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:36 PM

Hi Keith, i dont really know much about the Higher/Adv Higher or even SG History course, as i picked Geography, but i have some info on Adv Higher History, which gives you an overview of the course.

History: Advanced Higher

Why History?

This course is designed to add to the breadth and depth of your knowledge and understanding of historical concepts through a chosen historical context.

It also aims to develop your skills in evaluating events and sources and making judgements. The historical research unit will enhance your skills in planning, researching, preparing and presenting an independent study.

Entry to the course

This is at the discretion of the school/college but you would normally be expected to have attained the following:

Higher History units or course.

Course Outline

The course is made up of two units, Historical Study (80 hours) and Historical Research (40 hours) and 40 hours flexible time.

Historical Study

In this unit you will be required to

apply knowledge and demonstrate understanding of historical developments, events and issues
explain, analyse and evaluate historical developments, events and issues
evaluate complex sources with reference to their provenance and context
evaluate complex sources with reference to their wider historical context.
The work of the unit will be based on one of the following topics:

Northern Britain from the Romans to AD 1000
Scottish Independence: 1286-1329
The Renaissance in Italy in the 15th and 16th centuries
France in the age of Louis XIV
Georgians and Jacobites: Scotland 1715 -1800
The Economic Development of Britain 1820 - 80
‘The House Divided’ : USA 1850 - 65
Japan : From Medieval to Modern State1850s – 1920
Germany : Versailles to the Outbreak of the Second World War
South Africa 1910 - 84
Soviet Russia 1917 - 53
The Spanish Civil War 1931 - 39
Britain at War and Peace 1939 - 51

Historical Research

This unit requires you to carry out an in-depth study of a historical topic and write a dissertation on it. The dissertation should be around 4000 words and have an introduction, development and conclusion. This work will enhance your research and presentation skills and encourage the more sophisticated skills of

source analysis
sustained reasoning and independent study.

Core Skills

H Problem Solving (Critical Thinking, Planning and Organising)

Assessment
Units are assessed internally by your teacher/lecturer in accordance with SQA guidelines. The award is based on a written examination, set and marked by the SQA and by external assessment of the dissertation.

Progression

Successful completion of this course may lead to:

A Scottish Group Award at Higher in

Arts & Social Science

Education (HNC/HND/Degree); Employment in

Arts, Social Science & Religion
Law
Libraries, Museums & Archaeology

Hope this helps.

cool.gif

broxibabi

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

sad.gif did anyone sit Advanced History today?! How did anyone fine it that did?
The first paper was ok for the essays...but the second paper was horrible...I thot I was going to cry in the exam!!! I think I could have failed sad.gif Wot does everyone else think?

hssc11045

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:02 PM

Our school did field of study 6....the house divided 1815-1865 and overall i think i did ok but i gotta say that the questions were not the easiest with my teacher sayin they were pretty hard and tricky to answer with some questions being to specific to do a good answer on. What does everyone else think...and were the questions generally difficult for all sections??

dehny

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:58 PM

its actually Germany: Versailles to Nuremberg Trials

dehny

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:41 PM

im wondering if anyone knows of a site where we can view extended pieces of Goldhagens work? i refuse to buy his book as its wildly biasd and ignores several glaring points, but i need some of his stuff for research purposes

bred

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:05 AM

AFAIK you can't view his full works online for free. The following links might be of some use to you though:

Two historian's partial summary of a discussion of Goldhagen's work by Goldhagen, Browning, Bauer, and others at the Holocaust Research Institute of the Holocaust Memorial Museum

Goldhagen on Hitler's Willing Executioners

dehny

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(bred @ Aug 4 2005, 09:05 AM)

thanks anyway, already had those laugh.gif was hoping someone knew where i could get a full copy of Hitlers willing executioners for free as its not worth the money

dehny

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:21 PM

what would be a good question for my dissertation thing i have to write,

my topic for the year is germany: Versailles to Nuremberg

strengths are: emphasis on hitler, nazi foerign and domestic policy and the financial policies of the Weimar governments

bred: I've sent you a PM

dehny

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

How long should an ideal Hypothesis be for the dissertation?

bred

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(dehny)
how do you like this question

To what extent is there a need to differentiate between the physical and psychological demands made on the German people by the Versailles peace Treaty

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to when you say "physical" demands - economic crisis?

dehny

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

as in the phsyicla demands made on the economy, land, etc, its ok i can do the question its just a stinker

bred

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:11 PM

Would you call economic troubles physical demands though? More like fiscal demands are they not!?

dehny

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(bred @ Oct 14 2005, 10:11 PM)
Would you call economic troubles physical demands though? More like fiscal demands are they not!?

View Post

they are physical demands when the german people have to work themselves harder to pay off the reparations

bred

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

Yes, fair enough.

bred

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

Dehny, I don't know if you got your hands on the full text of Hitler's Willing Executioners. There is an excerpt on the following page - "Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust" - that may interest you if you have not yet read it: http://www.historyplace.com/pointsofview/goldhagen.htm
You may also wish to take a look at the following thread: http://www.simaqianstudio.com/forum/index....wtopic=5021&hl=

dehny

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Dec 27 2005, 09:51 PM)
Dehny, I don't know if you got your hands on the full text of Hitler's Willing Executioners. There is an excerpt on the following page - "Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust" - that may interest you if you have not yet read it: http://www.historyplace.com/pointsofview/goldhagen.htm
You may also wish to take a look at the following thread: http://www.simaqianstudio.com/forum/index....wtopic=5021&hl=

View Post

yeah ive read it thanks though

wasnt worth the bus trip up the road to borrow it hehe

bred

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

So, can the 4,000 word dissertation be on any topic?

dehny

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Apr 20 2006, 04:44 PM) View Post

So, can the 4,000 word dissertation be on any topic?

nope set questions, at least i think so, theres a sheet of accepted dissertation titles but im dont know if you can come up with your own

bred

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/NQ_History...List_June05.pdf seems to clear it up.

• (2 Page %s of %s)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic