Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
HBM Archive 2004-2005 - HSN forum

HBM Archive 2004-2005

382 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:31 PM

I've found a website which gives some notes for all levels of Business Management:

http://www.tt100.biz

#2 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, my teacher mentions it quite often. Haven't bothered with it yet.

#3 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:11 PM

oh dear i know that site well - my teach gets us to do case studies etc off o there! its pretty good tho!
user posted image

#4 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:35 PM

She really annoys me wen we do that..well actually she annoys me all the time! How bad can a crash higher be than wen u have a teacher who is really crap and thinks you have dun it b4!

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:44 PM

O I know what u mean!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#6 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Nov 23 2004, 07:31 PM)
I've found a website which gives some notes for all levels of Business Management:

http://www.tt100.biz

View Post

Thanks ally, i will take a look to see wat its like.

cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#7 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:35 PM

Just to clarify:

Higher Business Management Links (HSN) - this is a series of links which have been recommended to me by teachers and also from Ann Miller's HBM revision notes book [updated].

Biz/ed - Business Management notes and related articles from Standard Grade to university levels.

The Times 100 - now in its 9th Edition with companies such as Nissan, McDonalds, and Coca Cola providing the background for a variety of case studies and related questions. Also an extremely useful glossary. Well worth a look.

Hope this helps.

JB

*** HSN Moderator ***
user posted image
user posted image

#8 mmackie17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Location:Huntly, a small quaint town in Aberdeenshire, located in the north east of Scotland.
  • Interests:I like reading. I know, don't tell me...boring, but anyway, my main interest is probably playing games on the Playstation2. I guess I should also say revision is an interest of mine. But it's not. Anyway, I might not change this for a while, so I'll get it over with. Merry Christmas to everyone!!!...OK.....let's not freak myself out too much.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:56 AM

I think the prelim was fine, but I really didn't like the essay questions, so I had to guess some of the parts. What the hell is corporate culture?

#9 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:23 PM

I thought it was really straight forward, but I did zero studying for business management so doubt my results will be great. I give it an 9, as there was no surprises.

#10 Scott_Cameron

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Lesse now...<br /><br />I have an *obsession* over A/V hardware and Tails. Yes, that guy from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. XD I'm also very much into Computing hardware of any kind. ^^ I've been a gamer ever since I got that NES when I was 3 and a half years old, and I'm quite into Art and Anime. ^^

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:13 PM

I think the prelim was fine, but I really didn't like the essay questions, so I had to guess some of the parts. What the hell is corporate culture?

I'm not currently sitting Business Management at the moment, since I sat it last year, so my memory may be a little shaky. Forgive me if any of the following is somewhat incorrect.

I feel it is always a good idea to exemplify in order to explain something. A suitable case study for "Corporate Culture" would be McDondalds. When a customer enters a McDonalds outlet, no matter where, he/she expects a certain pre-defined standard. They expect the employees to dress a certain way, the employees to act a certain way, the customers to be treated a certain way. Hence, it could be said that McDonalds has it's own set of policies and / or rules for how it's staff are to behave; their "Corporate Culture".

#11 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, mcdonalds is the example I use for corporate culture, really easy to remember. Oh, and Scotts defintion is fine.

#12 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:54 PM

Is it hard to finish it in the time??? I am quite worried bout that!

#13 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:46 PM

actually, yeah, i found time quite hard. I spent time planning my "essays" though, just so I didn't need to think as I wrote. However, the girl beside me seemed to finish in like the first one and a half :/

#14 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:30 PM

When it comes to Business Management, there's never any surprises or trick questions. They can't ask you something you've not covered.

As long as you stuck to a revision plan and learned everything on the syllabus you should have been fine.

Hope that you've all done well, and good luck for when you hear your results.

JB
user posted image
user posted image

#15 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:29 PM

thanks, I hope i've done well, would make me feel good. But the main point i've got from prelim is that I am capable of doing well in final exam.

#16 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:28 PM

That's good to hear, justboy.

As I said, it's all down to practice.

The most important thing you've got to remember in a Business Management exam, at any level, is to name and explain. I had that drummed into me for four years, and it must have worked, because I got an Advanced Higher A for the subject.

What's the big idea behind name and explain? Well I'll let you into a little secret.

This is what the marker's looking for:

Not only making the point, but developing on it!

In some papers the marking instructions may quote: "1 mark for making the point, 1 mark for development of the point". This will imply that by you just making reference to the fact that product, price, place and promotion are the four elements of the marketing mix, you're losing out on half of your mark for that question.

I'm not saying it's the same for every question; indeed some questions may just say "Name the four elements of the marketing mix". If it does, just name them. If it says 'describe' or 'explain' or 'analyse' please do so!

It doesn't matter how vast your knowledge is of the subject, it's all down to technique. You could blag a question on 'quality circles' by just thinking about it for a few minutes, and if you got the technique right and answered the question properly, you'd get the marks for it. If you knew all about 'quality circles' and could go into great deal about it, that's wonderful. BUT, bear in mind that the examiner's looking for a specific answer - don't go off on a tangent and start talking about other forms of quality control and so on. Stick to the point, keep it as brief as possible, while including all the important points.

Hope this helps everyone, I really do; considering I spent 10 minutes writing this when I've got 2 hours to rewrite my Property notes!

JB
user posted image
user posted image

#17 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to use it in final exam. I sort of used the idea of name and explain during prelim for most questions.

#18 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:15 PM

thanks for the advice thebizwiz, some good stuff there!

I've got my prelim on wednesday. Teacher has given us a sheet of stuff to revise so obviosuly that'll be a advantage. I find the subject not to bad to be honest, the only thing that gets me is the amount of material we've to learn, but that's life! I did a practise case study the other day and got 42/50, which i was pleased with considering the one i did before that i got about 30 or something! so thats quite a confidence boost!
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#19 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:12 PM

mine's aint til the 22nd.

the notes on here are really good, as are the chemistry ones - great revision for my exam this thursday

#20 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:06 PM

Got a B in my prelim (Missed an A by 3 marks). I found it to be not bad, but some parts in the essays can be quite tricky (As some of the questions in the essays can be easy, then they'll throw some uber solid question right in the middle worth 8 marks to catch you out!).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users