blueheaduk's Content

There have been 27 items by blueheaduk (Search limited from 21-January 21)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#31692 Advanced Higher Chemistry 2005

Posted by blueheaduk on 01 June 2005 - 01:03 PM in Chemistry

For MC 15 im pretty sure it's A.. As A is only true when it's pH 7.

#31516 Advanced Higher Chemistry 2005

Posted by blueheaduk on 31 May 2005 - 11:37 PM in Chemistry

I thought it was okayish... I didn't get a chance to study any of the organic stuff so it was all from memory. Units 1 and 2 were good though. On 13ci, was the molecular formula just the same as the empirical formula above? Or am I way off there.. :S

#25350 This years exam

Posted by blueheaduk on 19 May 2005 - 10:42 PM in Chemistry

I feel the same! I've got a solid week to study chem in though so im hoping to get a lot done then... I'm so unfamiliar with the coursework I'm not entirely sure what could come up, but I'll get back to you on that in about a week biggrin.gif

#17397 errors in graphs

Posted by blueheaduk on 01 April 2005 - 03:22 PM in Physics

Where the vertical lines drawn on the highest and lowest x-values cut the two "worst lines". You just read it off the graph.

#17229 Qualitative/Quantitative

Posted by blueheaduk on 29 March 2005 - 10:21 PM in Chemistry

Cheers guys

#17186 Qualitative/Quantitative

Posted by blueheaduk on 29 March 2005 - 07:19 PM in Chemistry

I was looking at the investigation write-up guidelines and the results section has information split into two categories: quantitative and qualitative. I'm not sure how to differentiate ebtween the two in terms of how I would write up different experiments.

#17179 Qualitative/Quantitative

Posted by blueheaduk on 29 March 2005 - 07:03 PM in Chemistry

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between the two is. Could someone enlighten me? smile.gif

#17148 Mind Test (3 of 3)

Posted by blueheaduk on 29 March 2005 - 06:00 PM in General Chat

Lol! Iiinteresting

Its like a gardening thing is it not? For like making the soil nicer :S

#17144 Mind Test (1 of 3)

Posted by blueheaduk on 29 March 2005 - 05:51 PM in General Chat

9 :/

#17143 Mind Test (2 of 3)

Posted by blueheaduk on 29 March 2005 - 05:51 PM in General Chat

OMG ohmy.gif

#17142 Mind Test (3 of 3)

Posted by blueheaduk on 29 March 2005 - 05:50 PM in General Chat

Red and wrench ohmy.gif But half right's still impressive! ph34r.gif

#17073 errors in graphs

Posted by blueheaduk on 28 March 2005 - 08:14 PM in Physics

Ya the parallelogram thing is the centroid method lol. I can't remember exactly what to do with it either. I thiiiiiink its soemthing like:

1) Take an average of all the x-axis points you have and the y-axis points you have then plot that as a point. This is the centroid. Draw a straight line from the origin through this point (it should resemble something similar to a best fit line).

2) Look for the point which is furthest above your centroid line (ie most erroraneous) and draw a line parallel to the centroid line through that point.

3) Do the same again but for the point furthest below the centroid line.

4) Draw a straight vertical line through the largest and smallest x co-ordinate points so that you now have the parallelogram.

5) Find the gradients of the diagonals of the parallelogram (ie the bottom left of the parallelogram to the top right, and the top left to bottom right)

http://www.hitsomebody.com/centroid.gif

(The diagonals are the green line and the pink line)

6) Let these two diagonal gradients be m1 and m2

7) The uncertainty in the gradient is given by

user posted image

Where n is the number of points on the graph (excluding the centroid).

The uncertainty in the itnercept is found by noting where the two 'worst lines' (diagonals) cut the y axis. let these be c1 and c2.

The uncertainty in the intercept is given by:

user posted image

#16718 errors in graphs

Posted by blueheaduk on 21 March 2005 - 04:21 PM in Physics

Not entirely sure what your graph is about, but if it crosses through the origin the centroid method may be the way to go. There's information on that in the SQA uncertainties sheets.

#15306 Matrices

Posted by blueheaduk on 23 February 2005 - 11:15 PM in Mathematics

I had 3x3 matrices in the prelim, and we had to go through a routine of finding the answer with the 1/determinant and the adjugate and all that. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it, did it near the start of the year so I'd say youguys will be okay with it by the exam smile.gif

#14408 Prelim Build-up

Posted by blueheaduk on 12 February 2005 - 12:24 AM in Mathematics

I got 69% in mine, quite annoyed at the near A miss, but still pretty good going considering I crammed the course into the 2 days before biggrin.gif Top score in my class was 97% ohmy.gif But he was always gonna breeze AH Maths.

#12871 Prelim Build-up

Posted by blueheaduk on 27 January 2005 - 11:44 PM in Mathematics

Looking at Scott's prelim....

I thought binomial expansion at AH was only to (x+y)^7, the first question goes to ^10 on that paper. Have I been misled?? ohmy.gif

#12260 Advanced Higher Physics

Posted by blueheaduk on 18 January 2005 - 05:22 PM in Course Forums

Don't look at me smile.gif

#11866 Windows Vs Mac?

Posted by blueheaduk on 10 January 2005 - 12:00 AM in General Chat

Thanks for all the replies smile.gif

You say that there is limited software availability on the mac? Are there any particularly major every day programs (from a windows user point of view), or indeed any programs that might be needed for uni, that wouldn't work with a mac? I totally agree with the cuteness thing btw, very sexy piece of kit biggrin.gif

Definately sounds worth looking into, thanks for all the info smile.gif

#11840 Windows Vs Mac?

Posted by blueheaduk on 09 January 2005 - 06:04 PM in General Chat

I remember seeing a thread around here discussing macs, can't remember where it is though, so I'm sarting a new one biggrin.gif

I've only ever used a windows machine in my experience with computers, but with university and all that coming up next summer I'm thinkign about getting a laptop. Could anyone help me find the differences between a normal windows laptop and a mac iBook? Whats the Mac interface like as well? Is it as user friendly as windows? (Harhar) tongue.gif Any advice would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

#11682 Learning Outcomes

Posted by blueheaduk on 02 January 2005 - 12:33 AM in Chemistry

Oooo nice one mate biggrin.gif Very helpful smile.gif

#11036 Gcse/a-levels Vs Int2/higher?

Posted by blueheaduk on 09 December 2004 - 10:30 PM in New Sixth Years

Soo...for medicine (which I'm applying for btw biggrin.gif)

English students get 2 years to do 3 subjects, of which their grades only count at the end of the 2 years to get entry...

Meanwhile, Scottish students have 1 year to do 5 subjects, and universities look at those grades only and generally ignore 6th year work (for medicine)

Um :S

#10973 Gcse/a-levels Vs Int2/higher?

Posted by blueheaduk on 09 December 2004 - 12:22 AM in New Sixth Years

Ah thanks for clearing that up. smile.gif

So...um...how are you?smile.gif

#10916 Gcse/a-levels Vs Int2/higher?

Posted by blueheaduk on 08 December 2004 - 09:11 AM in New Sixth Years

Ah, thanks for the info biggrin.gif

Just thought it a little strange on prospectuses, ie. for medicine the entry requirement for most universities is AAAAB at higher, however from A-levels the requirement is usually AAB. :S

#10905 Gcse/a-levels Vs Int2/higher?

Posted by blueheaduk on 07 December 2004 - 11:02 PM in New Sixth Years

I really didnt know where to post this, so sorry if I'm ruining the kewl 6th year vibe cool.gif tongue.gif

Whats the difference between the english qualifications and the scottish ones? Just seems strange that 5 Highers are the equivalent of 3 A levels :S Can anyone offer any sort of insight? Cheersies smile.gif

#6459 Considering Dentistry?

Posted by blueheaduk on 19 September 2004 - 11:41 AM in Course Choices

QUOTE(natalie1062 @ Sep 9 2004, 06:47 PM)
Yes the uni was impressive.  What grades have you got at the moment?  Chemistry is the only subject I need to pass this year!

View Post

AAABB :/ But I phoned up glasgow admissions on the day of the exam results and she said if I do well this year I should make the interview stage smile.gif Gonna check out Dundee this coming wednesday, should be an interesting comparison.