anna123's Content

There have been 31 items by anna123 (Search limited from 16-August 21)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#101443 2008 exam

Posted by anna123 on 01 June 2008 - 06:40 PM in Chemistry

omg seriously!!?? my teacher was a bit weird too when I went to speak to him about the paper he skimmed through it and laughed and said "yeah...." I was like okkk what do you mean by that!! but I don't think you should worry because nearly everyone found this paper difficult I have about 12 people in my AH class and they all found it hard too so I think your teachers a bit weird too loll

#101438 2008 exam

Posted by anna123 on 31 May 2008 - 07:07 PM in Chemistry

Exactly! It was soooo much more difficult than the previous papers!! I actually thought I had a shot at a B after doing the past papers but as soon as I opened the paper on Friday I saw the first question and wanted to cry! sad.gifsad.gif I hate the SQA!!!! they better lower the grade boundaries I mean it or else I'm gonna protest! mad.gif I wish I can change my uni choices now I chose chemistry!!!! ahhhhh what the hell is that gonna be like!! I hope i get at least a C!! unsure.gif I'm still depressed since that paper sad.gif

#101431 2008 exam

Posted by anna123 on 30 May 2008 - 02:35 PM in Chemistry

How did everyone find the exam? I found it quite difficult I hated the multiple choice!! Section B wasn't too bad but there were some annoying questions. dry.gif

#101417 Exam

Posted by anna123 on 27 May 2008 - 07:46 PM in Biology

loll that is exactly the same for me! i found the multiple choice quite difficult compared to last years and the previous years. The data handling was OK but I did write like half a page for the 2 mark questions ( basically repeated myself as I was lost for words dry.gif ). For the essays I did B and I wrote more for mimicry and mutualism than dormancy. I forgot the examples for the mimicry part so I made them up!! I wrote about a butterfly and a snake ( I don't know why but I remembered reading these names somewhere) but i think that they both fit into the one type of mimicry not both :S but still looking at those cut off marks I think I miiiigggghhhhhttttt jussssssttt scrape a B if not then a C is better then nothing! fingers crossed!!

#101413 Exam

Posted by anna123 on 27 May 2008 - 07:24 PM in Biology

oh I just checked the SQA website and the whole thing is out of 125 marks.

#101412 Exam

Posted by anna123 on 27 May 2008 - 06:53 PM in Biology

Overall I found the exam OK. It wasn't too difficult but I made some really daft mistakes now that I've checked my answers against my notes! still hoping for atleast a B!! btw see the project, if that counts for 20% of the final grade, how does that work then? is the exam out of 125 marks then as the project is worth 25 marks or is the exam out of 75 and the project is out of 25?? i'm relying on my project to bring my grade up! hopefully!!

#101406 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 26 May 2008 - 08:20 PM in After School

that sounds cool! thanks i hate AH chemi as well, it's just too much to learn i mean especially unit 3 ORGANIC CHEMISTRY! ahhhh! sad.gif

#101404 Pioneer communities

Posted by anna123 on 26 May 2008 - 08:17 PM in Biology

Pioneer species usually lichen, moss or algae, are the first species to occupy a new habitat, starting new communities. They have rapid reproductive strategies, enabling them to quickly occupy an uninhabited area. They can also withstand harsh environment conditions such as dessication.

As the seeds are light, they can be dispersed by wind. This is efficient as there is a higher chance of survival as the seeds are carried to new habitats to colonise.

Hope this helps!!

#101393 advanced higher biology 2008

Posted by anna123 on 26 May 2008 - 10:32 AM in Biology

QUOTE(Chas @ May 25 2008, 09:54 PM) View Post
There are 270 cells in interphase and in total there are 90 cells in mitosis so the mitotic index=90/270x100=33%.

The answer is C, 25% ( marking scheme)

remember interphase isn't involved in mitosis so for the 2007 paper there are 360 cells in total including interphase. Then divide the total of the other phases except interphase by the total so in this case it's 90/360 x 100 = 25%.

#101386 advanced higher biology 2008

Posted by anna123 on 24 May 2008 - 08:34 PM in Biology

well actually the marking scheme says that the answer is B , 10% and I've figured out how to do it.
interphase is not involved in mitosis ( 2 stages interphase and the mitotic phase) so what you do is you add the number of cells in total in this case there are 500 cells in total including interphase. then you divide the total of the other phases excluding interphase by the total in this case 50/500 x 100 = 10%. This also works for the other 2 questions.

#101378 advanced higher biology 2008

Posted by anna123 on 23 May 2008 - 05:45 PM in Biology

i really don't understand the 3 and 5 end carbon chain stuff! how are you supposed to recognise it? q4 in the m.p part of 2006 is really confusing me. also how do you work out the mitotic index? i dont seem to remember doing that in class or reading about it in my notes? q5 2004 mp, q2 mp 2005 and q2 2007. can someone please explain? thank you!

#101372 advanced higher biology 2008

Posted by anna123 on 23 May 2008 - 02:13 PM in Biology

thank you!

#101360 advanced higher biology 2008

Posted by anna123 on 22 May 2008 - 01:26 PM in Biology

i keep getting the wrong answer, does anyone know how to do this?

Energy expenditure can also be measured by indirect calorimetry.

The following information was gathered as an individual ran on a treadmill for 20 minutes:

Volume of air breathed out in 20 minutes = 600 litres

Inspired air contained 20% oxygen, while expired air contained 16% oxygen.

4.8 kcals of energy are released for every litre of oxygen used up.

How many kilocalories of energy were expended during the 20 minutes?

#101355 advanced higher biology 2008

Posted by anna123 on 22 May 2008 - 11:52 AM in Biology

lol omg same here! the enviroment stuff is ok it's just learning all the names which i still get confused with niches and aestivation! physiology is simple as i did human biology last year so it's sort of similar but i just dont understand the DNA stuff and i hope the essays are based on unit 2 if its about the dna profile then i'm just gonna cry! sad.gif

#101354 Carbon Fixation Cylce

Posted by anna123 on 22 May 2008 - 11:48 AM in Biology

to be honest i'm not really sure but i found some stuff hope it helps!! sorry

Three turns of the cycle, using three molecules of CO2, produces six molecules of G3P. However, only one of the six molecules exits the cycle as an output, while the remaining five enter a complex process that regenerates more RuBP to continue the cycle. Two molecules of G3P, produced by a total of six turns of the cycle, combine to form one molecule of glucose.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C004535/calvin_cycle.html

#101344 Carbon Fixation Cylce

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 05:54 PM in Biology

from sqa:

Coverage of the Calvin cycle should be done in such a way that the number of carbons is accounted for
throughout the cycle with indications of the position of entry of (a) carbon dioxide which is accepted by
the 5-carbon compound ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate (RuBP) and (b) hydrogen which is accepted by the 3-carbon compound glycerate 3-phosphate (GP). It should be stressed that these reactions, which require ATP and hydrogen provided by the light dependent stage, essentially involve the reduction of carbon dioxide to form carbohydrate.
Candidates are not required to name intermediate chemical compounds except GP (PGA) and RuBP (RuDP).
Mention should be made of the fact that the major biological molecules in plants (eg proteins, fats, carbohydrates, nucleic acids) are derived from the photosynthetic process.

1. A five-carbon sugar molecule called ribulose bisphosphate, or RuBP, is the acceptor that binds CO2 dissolved in the stroma. This process, called CO2 fixation, is catalyzed by the enzyme RuBP carboxylase, forming an unstable six-carbon molecule. This molecule quickly breaks down to give two molecules of the three-carbon 3-phosphoglycerate (3PG), also called phosphoglyceric acid (PGA).

2. The two 3PG molecules are converted into glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate (G3P, a.k.a. phosphoglyceraldehyde, PGAL) molecules, a three-carbon sugar phosphate, by adding a high-energy phosphate group from ATP, then breaking the phosphate bond and adding hydrogen from NADH + H+.

3. Three turns of the cycle, using three molecules of CO2, produces six molecules of G3P. However, only one of the six molecules exits the cycle as an output, while the remaining five enter a complex process that regenerates more RuBP to continue the cycle. Two molecules of G3P, produced by a total of six turns of the cycle, combine to form one molecule of glucose.

#101343 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 05:34 PM in After School

ok now thats made me feel a bit better, thanks purple star! i just keep thinking that its going to be the same as school because our teachers say that adv chemi is the same as what you would do in 1st year of uni which is why my whole class thinks that its going to be just as dull and confusing at uni!

#101340 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 03:24 PM in After School

loll yh well anyway good luck nd hope u do well in the rest of your exams! smile.gif

#101338 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 03:20 PM in After School

loll english teachers are weird

#101334 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 03:00 PM in After School

all right klkl. i'm sure everythings going to go fine dont worry about it. and advanced chemistry and biology are really challenging. especially the organic chemistry topic OMG! it goes on forever its so boring and i find it really hard to study it...but thats just me lol so dont worry about it.

#101330 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 02:50 PM in After School

loll well in that case everyones a geek! aww thanks, and i hope you get good grades too smile.gif i hope i get in. So i take it your in 5th year, are you thinking of advanced higher chemistry and biology as well?

#101325 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 01:59 PM in After School

lol am daft! i hate chemistry yet find it fascinating! lol yup i have a conditional offer for both

#101323 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 01:47 PM in After School

i'm going this year spoony hopefully fingers crossed but a dont know cos of maths i know i messed up. i've applied to chemistry with drug discovery and applied chemistry but i'm not sure about the career prospects. i dont even know why i'm going for these courses :S as i hate advanced chemistry!! its awful!

#101322 Exam 2008 Post Mortem

Posted by anna123 on 21 May 2008 - 01:42 PM in Mathematics

ok it's official i messed up paper 2 completely!! i got the 1st question right soo full marks there!! but i hate vectors as i dont know how to find the coodinates at all! so i made them up and followed the procedure and i got 81 degrees for the angle so am hoping i get marks for the procedure! on top of that i'm a complete idiot!! i got 0.85 radians but then scored it outt! arghhhhhh!!! nd the circle question i knew i had to substitute 4-x but i didnt!! thats another 5 marks gonee and number 6 didnt do it at all!! im just waiting for my rubbish grade now and i wont be surprised! sad.gif

#101290 chemistry

Posted by anna123 on 20 May 2008 - 06:02 PM in After School

anyone going for a chemistry course at strathclyde? which one do you think has better career opportunities?