thebizwiz's Content

There have been 18 items by thebizwiz (Search limited from 09-August 21)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#77518 course outline

Posted by thebizwiz on 08 May 2006 - 10:46 PM in Business Management

Hi Folks

I have just created another topic for the skeleton CC-MS has sent me.

You can download a PDF version of the skeleton from this topic.

Link here.

Regards

James Brown (a.k.a. TheBizWiz)

#77517 CC-MS's Course Outline

Posted by thebizwiz on 08 May 2006 - 10:44 PM in Business Management

I have attached the following PDF to this topic:

Higher Business Management Revision Skeleton, by forum poster CC-MS.
[attachmentid=188]
Regards

James Brown (a.k.a. TheBizWiz)

Attached Files

#77177 course outline

Posted by thebizwiz on 06 May 2006 - 12:16 AM in Business Management

QUOTE(cc-ms @ May 3 2006, 11:08 PM) View Post

I have made myself a course outline from my "how to pass" book with what i need to know so i can easily go down and revise what i dont know. I would post it up but i dunno how to attach teh file and a copy and paste ruins the paragraphs etc.
Can anybody show me how to?

Hi there

You can email the file to me if you like, and I'll edit it so that the paragraphs run properly.

Regards

James

#53213 Some Problems

Posted by thebizwiz on 07 September 2005 - 10:24 PM in Business Management

To be honest with you I doubt a company could benefit from economies of scale if they were getting smaller, unless they were changing business practices, e.g. they used to have 3 production plants and are selling 2 off to only have one, where all their materials get delivered to, etc.

I'd check that if I were you... ask your teacher what he/she's on about!

James

#52912 Some Problems

Posted by thebizwiz on 05 September 2005 - 10:55 PM in Business Management

Good evening William.

Welcome to the Higher Business Management subforum, and congratulations on your first post on HSN/f.

I'll deal with your first point to begin with.

Let's say company A sells 50,000 products each year, which are exactly the same specification as each other. Company B sells 10,000 products, and they're all completely different to each other - "one-offs".

In order to make their product, Company B has to buy each individual component separately. Whereas Company A can buy in bulk.

It's this "bulk-buying" that leads to economies of scale.

The basic idea behind it is that Company A can benefit from economies of scale because they're buying in bulk. It's cheaper to buy 50 of the same item at once as opposed to just 1 of them. The seller may provide discounts for buying in bulk, and so on.

Now on to your second question.

It's perfectly fine for bookshops to sell books. What they're doing is providing a service to the consumer, i.e. selling them the product.

If you think about it, businesses in the primary sector extract raw materials. Businesses in the secondary sector manufacture a finished product from the raw materials. The service sector provides the service to the consumer, which in this example is selling the book to the consumer.

If you're unsure about this, I refer you to my Course Notes, on Page 3, in the section that's headed up "Sectors of Activity".

If I can be of any more help please feel free to e-mail me.

#49260 Mobile Phones

Posted by thebizwiz on 14 August 2005 - 07:50 PM in General Chat

I was 13 when I got my first phone. It was an old Nokia 909.

user posted image

When I was 14/15 I got a Motorola aM3180

user posted image

16 and I had a Nokia 3310

18 and I got a Sony Ericsson K700i

user posted image

Progress... lol

Mind you, my contract's up in October, so I'm not sure which one to get next.
Least it won't be as bad as the first "brick" I had.

#45943 Favourite Killers Song

Posted by thebizwiz on 29 July 2005 - 09:51 PM in General Chat

Smile like you mean it (doo doo doo, doo doo doo, dooooooo) has to be the best one.

Although when you're Disco-Dancing in The Garage in Glasgow on a Thursday Night it has to be All These Things That I've Done.

James

--------------------

I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

#45942 Jokes/Funny Stuff

Posted by thebizwiz on 29 July 2005 - 09:48 PM in General Chat

My God some of these jokes are wonderful, and some of them are completely awful.

Needless to say I've made a hard copy and I'm taking it into work tomorrow.

#45712 Welcome to Higher Business Management

Posted by thebizwiz on 27 July 2005 - 11:39 PM in Business Management

Welcome to Higher Business Management!

Introduction

Business Management at Higher is split into two key areas:
  • Business Enterprise
  • Business Decision Areas

You will study a total of eight topics, and will sit eight separate NABs during the course. There are tree sub-topics in Unit 1, and five sub-topics in unit 2.

Don't let the assessments put you off... if anything you're better-off because you have to revise smaller chunks of the course!

Useful Links

The arrangements document for the course can be found via the SQA's website, where a specimen question paper can also be found.

Useful links to websites who can offer extra information during the course can be found via HSN > Resources > Links.

Revision Notes

Higher Still Notes has revision notes for Higher Business Management which are available via HSN > Resources > Notes.

The Course

Whether you are in Fifth or Sixth Year at high school, you will reap great benefits from studying this subject. If you are 'crashing' this subject in Sixth Year it's worth mentioning that plenty of students who do so end up with A grades. Although the subject follows on from Standard Grade, it is very easy to pick up at Higher and you will have no problem with the course - everything you need to know is in the notes and is examined in the NABs.

The aims of the course are to:
  • Develop an understanding of the importance of business and enterprise in contemporary society
  • Develop the ability to analyse the ways in which different organisations achieve their objectives
  • Develop an understanding of the contribution of different individuals to the overall
    achievement of the organisation’s objectives
  • Develop an understanding of the internal structure of organisations and how this may influence their activities
  • Develop the ability to analyse the key functional areas of organisational activity
  • Enable candidates to understand the interdependence of the various activities undertaken by businesses
  • Enable candidates to manage resources and use information in a range of contexts
  • Develop problem solving, decision making and analytical skills
  • Develop the ability to assess the contribution which information and IT can make to the effectiveness of decision making in different types of business
  • Provide a foundation for future education and training.

Course Content

In Unit 1.1 you will study:
  • The role of business in society
  • The types of business organisations
  • The types of business objectives
  • The role of enterprise and the entrepreneur
  • Stakeholders
  • The factors affecting the operation of a business
  • Business as a 'dynamic activity'

In Unit 1.2 you will study:
  • Sources, types, and the value of information
  • Examples of IT
  • Use of IT in business
  • Types of business software

In Unit 1.3 you will study:
  • Decision-making
  • SWOT analysis
  • Problems with the structured decision-making models

In Unit 2.1 you will study:
  • Grouping of activities
  • Functional activities within an organisation
  • Aspects of organisational strucutre

In unit 2.2 you will study:
  • The marketing concept
  • The marketing mix
  • Target markets
  • Market research

In Unit 2.3 you will study:
  • Cash flow
  • Financial reporting
  • Ratio analysis
  • Budgets

In Unit 2.4 you will study:
  • Changing pattern of employment within organisations
  • Training and staff development
  • Recruitment and selection
  • Employee relations
  • Legislation

In Unit 2.5 you will study:
  • Inputs, processes and outputs
  • Distribution and delivery
  • Types of production
  • The factors affecting quality.

External Assessent

The external exam, as in previous years, will last 150 minutes.

Section 1 is worth 50 marks. Knowledge and understanding, problem solving and decision making will be assessed through a case study or interpretation item of about 750 words, which will explain a situation facing an organisation or organisations. It will probably be based on a magazine or newspaper article, lthough it could be hypothetical. There will be a number of mandatory questions related to it and candidates may be required to assume a management position and make decisions necessary to solve problems.

You may be asked to:
  • Analyse the information given and identify the problems
  • Identify and assess constraints
  • Devise solutions and make recommendations
  • Justify their recommendations.

Section 2 is worth 50 marks, and is an extended response. The main purpose of this section will be to assess knowledge and understanding. You will be
required to answer two questions from a choice of five, each being worth 25 marks. Questions may be sub-divided into two or three parts.

Sixth Year Students

While your school may let you 'crash', it is recommended that you have passed one or more of the following subjects:
  • Standard Grade Business Management at Credit level
  • Intermediate 2 Business Management, or
  • The component units of Intermediate 2 Business Management
And
  • Standard Grade English at Credit level, or
  • Intermediate 2 English or its component units.

Performance Criteria (Unit 1)

OUTCOME 1
Analyse business enterprise in contemporary society.
  1. Comparison of the types of business organisation in the UK and their organisational objectives is accurate.
  2. Comparison of the relative influence of key stakeholders on different types of organisation is accurate.
  3. Interpretation of factors affecting the operation of business enterprises is accurate in terms of their impact on an organisation.

OUTCOME 2
  1. Assessment of different sources of information is accurate in terms of their reliability and value for particular business enterprises.
  2. Assessment of the main types of information technology is accurate with respect to their uses in business and their costs and benefits to business enterprises.
  3. Assessment of the uses of business software is accurate in terms of its potential applications to business activity and its costs and benefits to business enterprises.

OUTCOME 3
Analyse the process of decision making in a business enterprise.
  1. Analysis of different types of decision is accurate and related to the objectives of an organisation.
  2. Analysis includes an accurate explanation of the role of managers in decision making in an organisation.
  3. Analysis includes the development and evaluation of a suitable SWOT analysis for a business enterprise.
  4. Analysis includes a reasoned justification for conclusions drawn from the SWOT analysis.

Performance Criteria (Unit 2)

OUTCOME 1
Report on the internal organisation of business enterprises.
  1. Analysis of organisational structure is accurate with respect to the grouping of activities within an organisation.
  2. Internal organisation of a business enterprise is analysed accurately and related to different forms of organisational structure.

OUTCOME 2
Analyse marketing decisions.
  1. Evaluation of the role and importance of marketing to business is accurate and makes reference to product and market orientation.
  2. Analysis of the marketing decisions of an organisation is accurate with respect to its marketing mix and target markets.
  3. Evaluation of the product mix of an organisation is accurate and makes reference to new product development and ways of prolonging the life of existing products.
  4. Analysis of reasons for market research is accurate and makes reference to market research techniques.

OUTCOME 3
Interpret financial information used in business.
  1. Interpretation of cash flow information is accurate and related to possible cash flow problems.
  2. Appropriate financial ratios are used correctly to accurately interpret the performance and liquidity of a business.
  3. Explanation of budgets is accurate and refers to their role in monitoring and controlling business activities.

OUTCOME 4
Analyse human resource decisions.
  1. Explanation of the main stages in the recruitment process is accurate and related to the requirements of a business enterprise.
  2. Evaluation of the selection process is accurate and makes reference to selection methods and their effectiveness in securing a suitable appointment for a business enterprise.
  3. Analysis of employee relations in a business organisation is accurate and makes reference to employee representation.
  4. References to current legislative requirements affecting the management of human resources in business enterprises are accurate.

OUTCOME 5
Analyse operations decisions.
  1. Analysis of the importance of purchasing to a business is accurate and makes reference to the factors which influence purchasing decisions.
  2. Analysis of factors affecting the quality of operations of an organisation is accurate with respect to organisational and customer requirements.
  3. Analysis of different types of production is accurate with respect to the product or service produced.

Summary

Higher Business Management is a very interesting course, which is full of theory and makes use of your practical skills. I hope that in studying this course you will learn a great deal about the business environment, as well as being awarded a good Higher pass in doing so.

It's been two years since I sat the exam, however all the information is still fresh in my memory.

I went on to take the Advanced Higher course in 2004, and passed with flying colours with an A grade.

Remember that if you ever need any help with the course, it's always at hand here at HSN/f, and if no one's around to help you feel free to email myself, the moderator, who can hopefully point you in the right direction.

Good luck with the course and I wish you every success in the future.

#45681 HBM Archive 2004-2005

Posted by thebizwiz on 27 July 2005 - 11:10 PM in Homework and Revision Help

I don't think we should be winding each other up?

It's all fine and well having a joke about something, but lying about something as important as this is a bit much.

#33317 HBM Archive 2004-2005

Posted by thebizwiz on 03 June 2005 - 03:51 PM in Homework and Revision Help

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the actual questions in the exam? I sat the paper 2 years ago, but I'm just interested to see what the questions were like this time around. It'd also help me answer anyone else's queries on the subject, since my idiot brother didn't bring his paper home with him!!!

#30596 HBM Archive 2004-2005

Posted by thebizwiz on 30 May 2005 - 09:16 PM in Homework and Revision Help

Hi

Don't Panic!

The AHBM exam is easy if you get the technique right.

Go out to WHSmith and get these small cue card things. Give it a title - e.g. the Neo-Human Relations School, and write down all you know about it in bullet points.

If you get into the habit of thinking about things like that it'll help you!

The most important thing to do is NOT mix up all the theorists and theories. If you feel as though there are too many theories, restrain yourself to a few 'commonly-used' ones - i.e. don't even bother about Handy's theory, and have less emphasis on Drucker's theory.

You'll know yourself by looking at the previous papers the types of things that come up.

At least you've completed the Business Investigation. That's probably the hardest thing about the course - trust me.

With regards to the Current Business Environment, have a flick through the business section of The Herald or even BBC News Online ... look for current stories that may relate to the course, e.g. the EU Constitution being given the two fingers by France.

For Part 3 - Change - I'd be looking for you to think about the whole process of change. Relate it to yourself when you're studying. You're hypothetically employed by Bodge-it, and the business has a high staff turnover, unhappy customers and is making a loss. Managers decide that the organisation needs to change in order to improve and survive!

Part of this change process involves changing the way in which you carry out your work. What might you feel? Hostile? Almost certainly. Think of it that way, create a scenario in your head and try to see it from all angles. That's a really easy way of being able to remember it in an exam.

What are you going to remember more easily? 5 paragraphs of text from Page 97 of the notes, or a scenario in your head?

If you chose the former, great! But if you can't remember it all, relate it!

Hope all of this helps, and if you experience any pre-exam questions/panicking just email me!

Happy to help

James

#26913 HSN Meet-up

Posted by thebizwiz on 23 May 2005 - 08:41 PM in General Chat

I think Martin only wanted a meet because there would be alcohol involved! ha!

#26902 HBM Archive 2004-2005

Posted by thebizwiz on 23 May 2005 - 08:27 PM in Homework and Revision Help

I'd just like to ask DiscoGirl if she's had the opportunity to create a wallchart for marketing?

I think this would be a great idea and would be very helpful for future students.

#26899 HBM Exam - Revision Help

Posted by thebizwiz on 23 May 2005 - 08:22 PM in Business Management

The Higher Business Management exam is scheduled for 3 June 2005.

There are no guarantees as to what will come up in the exam, although hopefully you've chosen your revision topics carefully and will be able to answer your chosen questions.

From now onwards the Forum will have a dedicated Exams topic, which will be pinned at the top of the Business Management board. You can click into this and communicate with everyone else taking the course this year.

I would encourage you all to keep going in and out of this topic, as there may be people out there having the same problems with the same questions ... a problem shared is a problem halved, and no doubt other users will be online and willing to help you.

If you do need any further help before the exam, feel free to email me.

Good luck from the whole team at HSN, and we hope that you get the marks you deserve.

#26895 HBM Archive 2004-2005

Posted by thebizwiz on 23 May 2005 - 08:11 PM in Homework and Revision Help

Yes, as ermdeviation said, there's a full set of revision notes on HSN - just click onto Downloads and follow the instructions.

They're all lovingly prepared by me, and have been verified by a teacher.

Good luck with your exams!
James

#22088 HBM Archive 2004-2005

Posted by thebizwiz on 11 May 2005 - 10:56 AM in Homework and Revision Help

If it's a brief question with little scope, and they're looking for a brief answer, give them a brief answer.

If there's great scope in a question, they want you to open up more, give more examples, and so on. Do so!

Read the question carefully for guidance.

#22026 HBM Archive 2004-2005

Posted by thebizwiz on 10 May 2005 - 07:52 PM in Homework and Revision Help

I would completely disagree with anyone who says 'write in bullet points' for this kind of exam.

Look at the official marking schemes - you may get one mark for a point, and another mark for developing on the point. You can't get the mark for developing the point if you just write a couple of words!

I honestly can't understand how people expect to pass this exam by just writing in bullet points.

With regards to them 'taking marks off' for using bullet points, they probably don't, but they should do as a deterrent.

How can you show an examiner you know what you're talking about, and have a lot of in-depth knowledge in a subject, if you just write:
• Functional grouping - where you group by departments

I'm not saying this to worry everyone, but be honest, if you were asking for advice from someone would you be happy with a yes/no answer? You want as much detail as possible.

If you can write about something, write about it. Don't just bullet it!