Pete's Content

There have been 329 items by Pete (Search limited from 16-January 21)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#99804 What's On Your Mind

Posted by Pete on 21 July 2007 - 06:18 AM in General Chat

http://xkcd.com/c109.html

And then it turns out they're both Tyler Durden.

#99732 What's On Your Mind

Posted by Pete on 12 July 2007 - 04:51 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Jul 11 2007, 12:13 PM) View Post
Oh my word. Someone searched for "girls pulling up skirts in public and at work" on Google to be presented with my website.

What is WRONG with people?

I'm going to IKEA now. Amy from work has got a new flat, I'm going to buy her some crap plastic cocktail glasses because I'm kind that way.

My pal has also lost weight, tuppy. Due to extreme food poisoning. Lovely!

On my old site, common search terms included "setting fire to pubes", "superglue condom", "sexy things to do with your girlfriend on a bus" and dozens of variations of things to do with hacking MySpace. And that's just the common ones. You don't want to know about the obscure ones.

#99504 Post your desktop!

Posted by Pete on 20 June 2007 - 06:53 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(tuppence @ Jun 20 2007, 06:59 PM) View Post
I knew folk were gonna comment on that tongue.gif

It's just all bebo nonsense (you've got a new comment! friend request! message! story!) so I never bother reading them. I only cleared out my inbox a few weeks ago as well!

http://pmurdoch.com/tmp/livemess.PNG

*whistles and walks away.*

Also, Hayley Williams is pretty cool. First heard Paramore when I was searching for acoustic songs on YouTube and came across them playing an acoustic version of Pressure.

#99413 Computing Notes/Resources

Posted by Pete on 16 June 2007 - 04:19 PM in Computing

The Scholar notes are pretty useful, if you don't have an account there yet your school will provide you with one after the summer. You can also just post here with anything you don't understand.

#99412 What's On Your Mind

Posted by Pete on 16 June 2007 - 01:21 PM in General Chat

Mine too. They want me to accept some sort of prize, but I'm not going to waste effort attending. I'm sure I have something planned that day anyway.

#99398 What's On Your Mind

Posted by Pete on 15 June 2007 - 12:53 PM in General Chat

I know Pi to e^\pi - \pi places ph34r.gif

#99262 Post your desktop!

Posted by Pete on 08 June 2007 - 03:57 PM in General Chat

Ah, Fedora under VMWare. Fedora 7, I take it? I have a few distros virtualised for playing around with; tried to virtualise my existing XP install on my secondary HD but it was too laggy for proper usage. Here's mine for the month of June, although it hasn't changed much: http://pmurdoch.com/tmp/desktop-june1.jpg

#99146 LOST finale coming up soon!

Posted by Pete on 03 June 2007 - 11:56 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(Scott @ May 29 2007, 11:45 AM) View Post
It wasn't as good as the 24 Season 6 finale.

Yeah, that was a good ending; I liked it for the same reason tongue.gif So was Lost, but unfortunately we have to wait until February for season 4 and until December for season 3 to come out on DVD ohmy.gif Shocking.

Spoiler
And yeah, some of the theories that are going around about Lost are absolutely ridiculous. Some of them are pretty rational and make sense, others are just crazy blink.gif

#99145 What's On Your Mind

Posted by Pete on 03 June 2007 - 11:49 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(ice_illusion)
Who is she?

It's the album art to Dizzy Up the Girl by the Goo Goo Dolls (Gotta love Wikipedia tongue.gif).

#98845 Today's Computing Exam

Posted by Pete on 28 May 2007 - 10:05 PM in Computing

16,777,216 colours is 24 bits. You're expected to be able to recognise the number of bits that you would need to give values of 65536, 16777216, etc. The picture size should have came out at roughly 17.1-17.2MB, I can't remember exactly what.

#98825 Today's Computing Exam

Posted by Pete on 28 May 2007 - 08:14 PM in Computing

Nope, that was my mistake. 64MB is the correct answer.

#98814 Today's Computing Exam

Posted by Pete on 28 May 2007 - 07:56 PM in Computing

A container file is a file in which the data could be encoded in many different ways. For example, just because you can watch some AVI videos on a PC doesn't mean you can watch all AVI videos: a different codec may be required. The file's header information lets the application know what way the data is to be decoded.

#98798 Today's Computing Exam

Posted by Pete on 28 May 2007 - 07:18 PM in Computing

QUOTE(sunnyho @ May 28 2007, 08:09 PM) View Post
BTW for question 19b(iii),
the maximum amount of memory is that 64Mb or 12Gb?
I got 64Mb but seen to be weird.

It's 12GB. The same question was in the 2005 paper.

#98775 Today's Computing Exam

Posted by Pete on 28 May 2007 - 06:00 PM in Computing

Good paper overall, Section 1 was particularly generous.

#98537 LOST finale coming up soon!

Posted by Pete on 26 May 2007 - 02:37 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(Lindsay @ May 26 2007, 09:38 AM) View Post
No, because I don't have Sky One and it makes me want to cry.

And I don't watch it online because I don't like sitting watching TV shows online. TV shows should be on the telly as far as I'm concerned.

I don't want to know what happens, you can't tell me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I watch movies (and Lost biggrin.gif ) on Sky Anytime and it kinda gets annoying sitting at a screen doing nothing for two hours. I could connect it up to my TV, but that requires effort.

It will come out on DVD soon though, do not worry. And it's been scheduled to end in 2010, ABC said they're going up to season 6 then calling it quits (48 episodes) so that people stop thinking that they're dragging it out as long as they can.

#98438 Photo Thread

Posted by Pete on 23 May 2007 - 10:14 PM in General Chat

Yeah, but it's only the cheerleaders and jocks that die. So long as you're relatively geeky, you'll end up going postal and annihilating the killer and getting the girl. I mean, I live in a big old spooky house in the middle of a forest (Yeah, weird :/) and we have no jocks or cheerleaders. I think that proves my theory tongue.gif

#98406 Scientology

Posted by Pete on 23 May 2007 - 05:30 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(dondon @ May 23 2007, 12:40 AM) View Post
However, Jedi(ism) is

Yeah, but something like 10,000 people put it down on the census form tongue.gif I doubt that'll happen with scientology for a long time, but being a Jedi myself I'm a bit biased on that front
QUOTE(tuppence @ May 23 2007, 12:44 AM) View Post
Because it's a cult. Innit.

I've heard loads of people describe it as a cult. Not sure if I agree with it or not. Tom Cruise may just be an alien anyway.

QUOTE(Lindsay @ May 23 2007, 08:56 AM) View Post
You want to relax? Do yoga!

When I want to relax, I go outside and get some fresh air. I live in the middle of nowhere, so it's pretty peaceful when you want to go out for a walk or whatever. Good for clearing your head; I'm not much of a "meditation" person.
Anything you have to pay money for I wouldn't call a religon.

It does make you wonder where all the dosh goes, though.

#98397 Computing 2007

Posted by Pete on 23 May 2007 - 04:59 PM in Computing

Well, looking through the past paper book there used to be a Computer Programming section which they've gotten rid of in the new arrangements. I'd assume that the difference you're noticing is the lack of repetitive "What does readable/maintainable/reliable/robust mean" questions (They're still asked now, right enough) and other programming-oriented questions.

#98394 Computing 2007

Posted by Pete on 23 May 2007 - 04:48 PM in Computing

Doesn't mean the older past papers are irrelevant, though. The substance of the questions is still much the same ("What is -14 in 8-bit two's complement", etc.), only the overall layout of the paper has changed.

#98387 Higher Biology

Posted by Pete on 23 May 2007 - 03:45 PM in Biology

Most likely not. Biology is a write-on paper rather than the likes of English and Maths where you write on seperate sheets, so you can't take it home and work it out later. Schools get an extra few copies of the papers though, so somebody may have worked them out already and just not posted them as of yet.

#98345 Scientology

Posted by Pete on 22 May 2007 - 09:42 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(Lesley @ May 22 2007, 10:10 PM) View Post
I remember when Katie Holmes was pregnant the papers were going on about how scientology-minded ladies in labour weren't allowed make a sound. Is this actually true? Is that even possible? Fortunately enough i've never been in labour, so can't describe the pain but apparently it is absolutely AWFUL. (can't wait!)

It's true. Apparently if the first thing a child hears is his mother in pain, then it "damages" the child.

#98334 Scientology

Posted by Pete on 22 May 2007 - 08:44 PM in General Chat

You can read up on it on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ May 22 2007, 08:45 PM) View Post
I am one of The Church of Scientology's first members in Glasgow and the techniques for meditation which they taught me transformed me from a 5 F student to a 5 Band 1 A's candidate. I think everyone on this forum would benefit immensely from exposure to Scientology, with an open mind untainted by the media's bias.

While that's an interesting turn of events, what may have worked for you will not work for everyone else.

#98027 What's On Your Mind

Posted by Pete on 18 May 2007 - 10:04 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(xClairex @ May 18 2007, 10:46 PM) View Post
hehe gonna go paintballin after the exams should be good even if i do get covered in bruises lol

Paintballing is fun but until now I've never had enough time to go. I'll probably round up a group of friends over the summer or something.

#98025 What's On Your Mind

Posted by Pete on 18 May 2007 - 09:42 PM in General Chat

QUOTE(xClairex @ May 18 2007, 10:21 PM) View Post
friday night and im stuck in sooo cant wait until exams are over i can have a social life again smile.gif

I lacked a social life of any sort to begin with, so I don't have that problem tongue.gif

#97959 Computing 2007

Posted by Pete on 18 May 2007 - 10:21 AM in Computing

QUOTE(sparky @ May 18 2007, 10:58 AM) View Post
A lot of the times where questions asked you to give a network topology - the SQA never accepted 'Mesh' since it costs too much to have all the hardware. I remember that from doing all the past papers - some 4 years ago now I reckon! lol

Yeah, I kinda disagree with that. A topology is a topology, and if you can justify it you should get the marks. For a test we did once a friend of mine wrote tree topology as one of the answers when it was perfectly acceptable, yet the teacher claimed that it "does not exist" dry.gif