gsmushet1's Content

There have been 18 items by gsmushet1 (Search limited from 13-August 21)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#87243 Results Thread

Posted by gsmushet1 on 10 August 2006 - 01:12 PM in Exam Results 2006

1. What you got:

H Mathematics, English, Computing, Geography - A
H Physics - B

2. Did you meet your expectations: Well i expected an A in physics and a B/C in English, so i both surpassed and didn't meet my expectations lol.

3. If not will you appeal? Yeah i think i'll appeal for physics to get the straight As

4. What are you plans now? Have an unconditional offer to study aeronautical engineering at Glasgow uni, that starts in sept 2007, until then i'll work so uni is easier financially.

5. How do you plan on celebrating? Already have, lol went out with friends to a few bars round town and had a few drinks lol.

#83114 Crashing

Posted by gsmushet1 on 06 June 2006 - 07:29 AM in Biology

Any advice on crashing Higher Bio?? I was gonna take time this summer to learn or go over at least some of the SG material....but any other advice would be great too?!

Thanks

Mush....

#83113 2006 Computing Exam

Posted by gsmushet1 on 06 June 2006 - 07:27 AM in Computing

If anyone does have it could they PM me it or email it at mushet@hotmail.com

Thhanks!!

#80059 HElp day before exam!

Posted by gsmushet1 on 19 May 2006 - 01:51 PM in Mathematics

Ach nevermind, it's over now and i'm SURE of an A=)

#79902 HElp day before exam!

Posted by gsmushet1 on 18 May 2006 - 10:53 PM in Mathematics

QUOTE(Dave @ May 18 2006, 11:36 PM) View Post

i would break the bracket and get k^2 - 4x + 4x^2 this means we now have

5x2-7x+(k2-4)=0

a=5
b=-7
c=k2-4

but if you break the bracket do you not get k^2 - 4kx + 4x^2

#79894 HElp day before exam!

Posted by gsmushet1 on 18 May 2006 - 10:31 PM in Mathematics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok. How the hell do you apply the descriminant (B^2 - 4ac) to an equation like this:

x^2 + (k-2x)^2 - 3x - 4 = 0

with intentions of finding the value of k.

The question says that y+2x=k is tangent to circle x^2 + y^2 -3x - 4 = 0. And to find the value of k (7 marks) .

In the anwswer booklet it says "x^2 + (k-2x)^2 - 3x - 4 = 0 apply to descriminant"

HELP exam is tomorrow:|

#79858 What grade do you think you got?

Posted by gsmushet1 on 18 May 2006 - 09:09 PM in Physics

QUOTE(nathanm @ May 18 2006, 12:04 AM) View Post

B i think

Boundaries:

D:37
C:42
B:52
A2:62
A1:68

and as for the paper, slightly harder on 2005, but a fair paper by all accounts

edit: all are in %s

where are you getting the boundries from,?

#79258 How It Go?

Posted by gsmushet1 on 17 May 2006 - 05:39 PM in Physics

QUOTE(Betinho @ May 17 2006, 06:27 PM) View Post

QUOTE(KingBling @ May 17 2006, 06:13 PM) View Post

Can somebody please send me the paper. Pretty please. PLEASE!!

I don't have time to sit down and scan every page of the exam booklet, but I've taken some photos with my digital camera so hopefully you can make out what it says. Some of it isn't very clear, but it's the best I can do.. :/

Check your PM inbox. smile.gif

Would you be most kind to send me them also?

#76882 Memory Write/ Read Functions

Posted by gsmushet1 on 03 May 2006 - 09:36 AM in Computing

Hey, can someone please outline the steps in a Memory read and a Memory write function. Please include details of the internal registers(MAr,MDR,PC,IR) the control lines, the data and address buses etc.

Thanks!! biggrin.gif

#76439 Optimization Help!

Posted by gsmushet1 on 28 April 2006 - 08:02 PM in Mathematics

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help on this subject. I am really good with maths and find it easy to follow set procedures etc when it comes to getting answers to question. However, when it comes to optimization with differentiation, i seem to lack the abstract thought needed for it! Maybe i'm over dramatising it with the word "abstract" but when i read through examples of things like finding the dimensions of 400m of fencing that willl provice the largest area in an open space, i understand what is happening at each stage...but i couldn't imagine myself thinking in such ways during an exam.

On such example gives you a cylinder and tells you that it is being designed to hold 400 litres and asks you to find the dimensions of the radius and height that would give you that volume with but using the smallest surface area. The processes that the example go through are very weird...making up your own formulae to suit the question based on various other types of equations and eventually differentiating one of the terms to find the stationary points and then find the max/min and use that to determine the smallest surface area etc.

I'm guess that there must be some sort of procedure to answering such a question. Or at least some guidelines or things you should aim for within your working to be able to answer. So can anyone tell me how to go about thinking about a question like this?

Thanks!!

#76379 Highest mark for a nab

Posted by gsmushet1 on 27 April 2006 - 08:37 PM in Modern Studies

QUOTE(Klass Clown @ Apr 27 2006, 06:27 PM) View Post

QUOTE(gsmushet1 @ Apr 26 2006, 08:56 PM) View Post

Hey, where did you get that comic thing in your sig:))smile.gif)smile.gif) i love it!!!!!!!!!!!! i want more!

What are you talking about?
huh.gif

Lol, claire's signature has a comic in it..which is hilarious.

#76378 2 Exams

Posted by gsmushet1 on 27 April 2006 - 08:34 PM in Revision and Exams

Yeah i'm doing Higher Geography and Computing:^)..bit of a pain. My hand is going to be mutilated by the end of the day...i tend to over write for my answers in geography, as if there isn't enough to write already! I guess it isn't that bad though because it means i'm only in 4 days that month instead of 5!

#76279 Highest mark for a nab

Posted by gsmushet1 on 26 April 2006 - 07:56 PM in Modern Studies

Hey, where did you get that comic thing in your sig:))smile.gif)smile.gif) i love it!!!!!!!!!!!! i want more!

#76180 Photoelectric Emission - Help?

Posted by gsmushet1 on 25 April 2006 - 08:29 PM in Physics

you are getting it confused with stimluted emission which is when a electron falls from a high energy level to a lower one and hence the energy it loses is given off in the form of a photon.

#76093 Photoelectric Emission - Help?

Posted by gsmushet1 on 24 April 2006 - 09:31 PM in Physics

yeah...during photoelectric emission a photon is absorbed and an electron is ejected.....there is no ejection of light.

#76051 Photoelectric Emission - Help?

Posted by gsmushet1 on 24 April 2006 - 05:49 PM in Physics

It is destroyed as all of it's energy is given to the electron in the form of kinetic energy.

#76050 Highest mark for a nab

Posted by gsmushet1 on 24 April 2006 - 05:46 PM in Modern Studies

kool congrats

#75980 Photoelectric Emission - Help?

Posted by gsmushet1 on 23 April 2006 - 10:13 PM in Physics

QUOTE(jambo david @ Apr 23 2006, 04:07 PM) View Post

I'm really confused about how it works. I don't suppose anyone has time for a little explanation?

p.s. Do you guys get paid for helping us?

Well the electrons that orbit an nuclues do so at different heights from the nucleus known as "energy levels". Each level has a particular energy assigned to it. When a photon that has energy equal to the energy difference of two levels becomes incident on the atom then an electron on that level is given enough energy to move up another energy level(into excited state). If an electron in the excited state is given even more energy, then it is given enough energy to be released from the atom and is then known as a "photoelectron" which has just undergone "photoelectric emission".

I don't think they get paid:S..i'm just a random guy, not involved with the site in anyway.