sazzlemcbazzle's Content

There have been 19 items by sazzlemcbazzle (Search limited from 26-November 21)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#5750 Advanced Higher Music

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 23 August 2004 - 10:32 PM in Other

Hello Again,
For the essay I wrote about a piece of music I was playing for my 1st Instrument (which was piano). I compared it with another piece of music I was also playing for the piano. So In all I wrote(compared and contrasted) about 2 pieces of Music for piano. Im sure my teacher said that it had to be on your first instrument and not your second but I could be wrong - you would have to ask your teacher. Once you get the essay finished and out of the way you feel much better!
smile.gif

#5718 Advanced Higher Music

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 22 August 2004 - 09:50 PM in Other

Hey Laura, I have just finished school and I took Advanced Higher Music as well as 3 other Highers for my 6th year.I ended up with an A. Our teacher could only give us 5 periods when we are supposed to have 7 but because AH music clashed with my higher Administration I only had 3 periods of Music (1 double period - playing/essay/inventing and 1 single period - of listening - which I must admit was just not enough as the boys mucked about and we never got anything done!). I have to say it was a pretty tough year for me but I managed to get through it!
As long as you are organised and meet the deadlines then you should be on top of things! Make sure you get well on top of your practical playing so that you are ready nearer the time of the exam.

I have to say the only reason I got an A was because my playing/inventing and essay marks were better than my listening. From the sounds of things I think you should be able to cope with Advanced higher Music. You say your theory is not up to scratch - well I have to admit my theory knowledge on the listening concepts was not great either. You said your on grade7/8 pieces which will definatley be suitable for your 1st instrument - must be 20mins long or 30mins depending on what extension you are doing. What are you doing for your 2nd instrument? because that has to be about grade 5/6 standard.

I found the essay pretty hard going and can remember having a few tantrums with paper. The essay Is probably the hardest because you have to write about a composer of your 1st instrument and compare it with another composer of one of your other pieces and then cut out bars to back up your quotes/evidence. However the advantage of the essay is that you can find lots on the internet and from books although some of the time the information is irrelevant! Your teacher should be able to help you in the right direction.

The inventing can be easier than what you expect. I know that when I wrote out my 1st draft my teacher took one look at it and told me to start again! (I was well gutted) but he pointed me in the right direction. He actually told the class to copy the chord structures from very old books and then copy rhythmns from pieces of music and make them your own by adding different key signatures, Time signatues, passing notes, dischords etc.

Do you have private lessons? because I had private teachers for the piano and clarinet and found it really useful because my teachers were able to help me play my pieces really well and it gave me more time to practice since I was so pushed for time with my other subjects.

If you want to know anything else then just let me know. smile.gif

Sarah

#5505 Can u drive!?

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 17 August 2004 - 08:17 PM in General Chat

Hey Thanks Vazza for the infromation its a great help! I might phone up my driving instructor and see what he says before deciding what to do, as im off to Uni in September and it might be best to do it next summer when i have more spare time.

Do you think your insurance will cost less as you have taken the pass plus certificate?

#5501 english results

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 17 August 2004 - 08:02 PM in Exam Results 2004

I dunno, but I want to find out now!Hmm shame Ive left school.

#5455 Can u drive!?

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 17 August 2004 - 05:45 PM in General Chat

Hey Vazza can I ask what Is involved in the Pass Plus Test as my Dad thinks I should take it. Can I also ask how long did it take you to prepare for it?

#5435 Can u drive!?

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 16 August 2004 - 08:10 PM in General Chat

Hey I passed mydriving test 1st time at the end of the July, never felt so much better. Its a great feeling knowing that you can take yourself places without having to rely on buses or parents!

#5432 Musical Instruments

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 16 August 2004 - 07:58 PM in General Chat

Hey Laura are you from Peebles?

#5431 Musical Instruments

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 16 August 2004 - 07:57 PM in General Chat

I play the piano (first instrument) and clarinet (second instrument). I've played the piano for about 14 years now playing grade7/8 pieces and I picked up the clarinet in S1 playing at about grade6 standard. I prefer playing the piano but played the clarinet while I was at school in the windband.
I like playing jazz and more modern music although I have played classical pieces too. I just sat my grade5 theory in June and passed with 83%(merit) and got an A for my Advanced Higher Music at highschool and have decided to go off to Uni in Sept to study music further.

#5420 Probelms and Complaint

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 16 August 2004 - 05:42 PM in Exam Results 2004

Hey I had friends who were doing Advanced Higher Art and when they received their results were totally shocked cause most of them got lower than predicted. Many were predicted A's and got lower - B's and C's. I only know 1 person so far from about 25 who got an A. From what I was hearing they were complaining that the some people who got C's for their art work were exceptionally better than others and did not feel that they deserved such a low grade.

#5193 Your Results

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 10 August 2004 - 07:48 AM in Exam Results 2004

QUOTE(ally @ Aug 10 2004, 07:36 AM)
Hey,

Well Done!!!

Can I ask what you were predicting to get?

Anyway, I'm still awaiting my results but good luck to everyone else!

I think a D is between 40%-49%?

View Post

hey well i was predicting to get two As and thought i would get two C's for english and Administration so it was a pleasant suprise to see that i got two B's instead.

#5187 Your Results

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 10 August 2004 - 07:35 AM in Exam Results 2004

Post arrived at 7.30am
Oh my god im well chuffed, i got A for AH music, A for Higher Home Economics, a very suprising B for Higher english and a B for Higher Administration (they must of lowered the cut off marks).
hope everyone else has done as well as they expected:)

#5172 Anticipating the Results

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 09 August 2004 - 09:34 PM in Exam Results 2004

get my post between 7.30 and 9.00, depends on the postmans mood! Hope i get two A's and two C's if im lucky

#5164 Anticipating the Results

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 09 August 2004 - 09:20 PM in Exam Results 2004

hey i am definately getting worried for my english and admin results tomorow. unsure.gif eek

#3934 Higher Home Economics

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 03 June 2004 - 07:03 PM in Other

Hey, anyone else got Higher Home Economics (Lifestyle and Consumer Technology) exam tomorow or am I just only one of few to sit the paper?-Suppose most people shall be sitting Business Management in the afternoon - Goodluck to those people - i went through the pain of it last year.

I hope there isnt many questions on the food acts in the paper, apart from that I hope the paper is a doddle. smile.gif

#3039 Higher Music

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 27 May 2004 - 07:34 PM in Other

Got my Advanced Higher Music listening tomorow then the practical playing on tuesday and wednesday ahh. Then i have higher home economics paper to sit on Friday! No rest for the wicked eh? sad.gif

#2857 Uni

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 26 May 2004 - 05:42 PM in General Chat

Music at Napier Uni, Edinburgh

#2855 Uni

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 26 May 2004 - 05:30 PM in General Chat

Im going to Napier - Edinburgh to study Music, can't wait to go there as I really like the city lots! Theres so much to offer and chooose from!

#2633 Where are you going?

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 24 May 2004 - 09:34 PM in Course Choices

Im going to Napier University in September to study Bmus Honours in music but i am not sure if thats the course i really want to study.
I kinda choose this course because i thought that if i didn't try it for the 1st year then i might regret not knowing what it was all about - and that i may even enjoy it! I also applied to study other courses such as e-business and consumer studies but in the end accepted for Music.
The thing is i dont know if i am doing the right thing or not! Im scared i wont cope cause im rarely away from my house! I dont know if im mature enough either!
How do you really know what you want to do?
On the other hand i know that i cannot wait to get away from home as i am absolutely sick of my parents (as most people my age are) and them constantly putting pressure on me. (although they disagree)
Im thinking perhaps my opinon shall change after my exams. You just get so fed up and you kinda think all the negative stuff!

Ahh Help! unsure.gif

At least i know i can relax more since i dont really need to pass any of my exams this year although it would be nice, otherwise my 6th year would have been a waste of a year of my life! rolleyes.gif

#2111 Higher Music

Posted by sazzlemcbazzle on 20 May 2004 - 07:48 PM in Other

Hey i am an 6th year student who for some reason decided to take Advanced Higher Music. First think you need to know about taking Music of any level (probably mainly higher - especially advanced higher) is that you must be organised and must be able to manage your time.

Advanced Higher this year has been really demanding for me and it does not help that I have only had 3 periods of it at school and had to catch up in my own time/study periods. Int2/Higher/AH all involves two instruments, listening and inventing. Although you also have to write a 1500 word dissertation on a composer relating to your solo instrument. The difference is that each level is a step more demanding.

One thing I must say is that if you want to do well at Higher music, learn your concepts (i still struggle with the listening - but am predicted an Advanced Higher A as my inventing, essay and practical playing is all really good - which brings your grade up). Also if you are playing two instruments, trying and get some form of teaching outwith class periods. eg instrumental lessons or private lessons as they shall benefit you when it comes to playing the pieces according to whats written on the page!