Dave's Content

There have been 19 items by Dave (Search limited from 25-May 21)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#102023 The School Day

Posted by Dave on 01 May 2009 - 01:02 AM in New Sixth Years

8?? thats pretty unusual is it not?

my school finished at 3.15. So by the time you leave school I would be in bed having a nap!

#102022 Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted by Dave on 01 May 2009 - 12:59 AM in General Chat

yup

#101945 Grade Boundaries

Posted by Dave on 23 April 2009 - 12:04 AM in English

a prelim exam is an exam written by your teachers. The grade boundaries which they will use are the guidlines set out by the sqa namely:

A - 70%+
B - 60%-69%
C - 50%-59%

#101848 So what has changed?

Posted by Dave on 23 March 2009 - 09:05 PM in General Chat

you are a legend shaz biggrin.gif

#101843 Talks

Posted by Dave on 19 March 2009 - 12:46 AM in English

In an interview your appearance/body language is the first thing that the interviewee sees and in that second they have decided on their opinion on you. Even before you have said a word!

The rest of my post above goes on to explain why I know this as I take interviews for my company on a very regular basis. I have been through training on taking interviews and the fact that people judge by appearance before someone sits down was discussed. It's nature.

Basically in short if I am interviewing for a position in sales say and you come in dressed like a ned or something then I am not going to hire you. Regardless of how well you answer the questions. The same has been known to happen for people with other "unattractive" physical qualities

#101842 HELP

Posted by Dave on 19 March 2009 - 12:41 AM in Computing

ok calm down

what do you need help with exactly. General advice would be:

Get past papers and do the questions on the material you have done.
Read your notes
re-write what you remember again and again
read textbooks

#101830 Talks

Posted by Dave on 15 March 2009 - 10:56 PM in English

well interviews is something you might want to talk about. There is a figure somewhere that says we make up opinions on people in less than a second. its human nature. I lost out on a job once because my hand shake was weak. I am now the assistant manager in that shop lol. So that would be a case study right there if i was someone important.

If it was my talk I would probably start by talking about what we do normally and what our human reactions is in these events. Then explain the pros and cons of this. Then finish with a suggestion on how the situation could be fixed and what the advantages of this would be.

#101821 Distance Learning

Posted by Dave on 12 March 2009 - 12:42 AM in General Chat

I don't know what highers you are looking to do but look at kilmarnock college website and go to the e-learning part. They offer a range of HND, HNC and higher courses online

#101813 2008 Exam!

Posted by Dave on 09 March 2009 - 12:10 PM in Business Management

what they mean is that after the exam, someone puts up there answers online. The validity of the answers published is not guaranteed and is simply someone opinion

#101795 Please help me in choosing web hosting

Posted by Dave on 27 February 2009 - 01:18 AM in General Chat

I ran a website last year and at the time 1and1 were the cheapest out there and the company was popular with the people on my course. However, I got into a disagreement with them over money and in the end they sent bailiffs to my door so i can't recommend them.

Best thing to do is to get on the forums and see what opinions people have. Generally, there is a flavour of the month because of some limited term offer. I would just go with that one at the end of the day everything is pretty similar from one company to another in terms of what they provide and for how much. The biggest difference between customers is their customer service. This you can only gauge from current customers and lots of research.

#101789 So what has changed?

Posted by Dave on 23 February 2009 - 12:26 AM in General Chat

QUOTE (bred @ Feb 21 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see there is a new "anti-terror" law prohibiting photography of police in the UK. What next?

what? no way! what are they police or gods??

Never been a fan of these new age interviews with team work and stuff but needs must i guess. In my part time job i do a lot of hiring and firing and dealing with employee performance its not much fun and it is even harder if you are having to deal with people who are your friends outside of work. Might try M&S myself next year we shall how things go

#101776 So what has changed?

Posted by Dave on 17 February 2009 - 12:32 PM in General Chat

its been a while boyo. Capitalism always wins even if we let muppets run the banking sector!

#101771 Notes

Posted by Dave on 11 February 2009 - 05:04 PM in Computing

Do Learning Teaching Scotland do a pack for AH computing? They are generally the people who come up with materials to support SQA qualifications

#101770 Computing & Info Systems - whats the difference?

Posted by Dave on 11 February 2009 - 05:01 PM in New Fifth Years

computing includes looking at computer systems (data representation, hardware, applications), software development (programming, and development lifecycle) aswell as things like networking and multimedia. The computing course is about looking at the science in a fairly low level in short

Information Systems on the other hand is an in depth look at a particular area of IT namely databases and large storage of huge databases which would be used in a business setting (generally). In this course (which I should point out I didn't take at school level but have looked at in university) you look at database design and the different implementations of them besides other things

#101769 So what has changed?

Posted by Dave on 11 February 2009 - 04:57 PM in General Chat

wht was the interview process like? I have the interview for shop floor person is tough going. Certainly when I applied she asked me a couple of questions, decided I wasn't confident enough(which to be fair was probably the case back then) and said ok we will phone you

#101695 So what has changed?

Posted by Dave on 23 January 2009 - 02:36 AM in General Chat

depends what you are going to be doing I guess. Luckily I have a year or so to wait so I am hoping its all blown over by then. I think most companies are still running grad programmes anyway since they will need talented fresh blood after forcing all the older more expensive staff out the door this year.

#101689 UCAS POINTS - REALLY CONFUSED

Posted by Dave on 19 January 2009 - 04:10 PM in After School

the points system is there to have a cross border system of equivalence in higher or further education. It allows universities in england wales and ireland look at what you have achieved and decide on an offer to give you. IF your not wanting to go to a non scottish uni then its not really important.

#101688 So what has changed?

Posted by Dave on 19 January 2009 - 04:06 PM in General Chat

oh i thought about doing that once

#101679 So what has changed?

Posted by Dave on 12 January 2009 - 03:01 AM in General Chat

I have popped back for a nosey aswell. I see Paul is back now he has grad and I know sharon looking in on the place once in a while, looks at what she wrote back in the day and hides from the embarrassment.

My update is I am in my 4th year of a five year MEng in Computer Science. I can't decide wither or not to leave uni after my under graduate course or continue on for a phd. It would be another 3 years before I left uni if I did that and I dont want to be that guy who never gets a real job but becomes a professional student. I have expensive tastes in cars and the like which need satisfying! The time has flown in really and I have to say uni is a good laugh and looking back I can see school was too restrained and structured for my liking.

In the unlikely event someone wants computer studies help I am always willing to answer.