russellelly's Content

There have been 22 items by russellelly (Search limited from 01-July 21)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#5303 Your Results

Posted by russellelly on 11 August 2004 - 09:31 PM in Exam Results 2004

I am really happy with (all highers)

A - Maths, Physics, Computing and Mod Studs (got a Band 6 in prelim ohmy.gif )
C - English (I got a D in the prelim so I was happy to get a pass at all.

#5151 Anticipating the Results

Posted by russellelly on 09 August 2004 - 06:39 PM in Exam Results 2004

QUOTE(james1 @ Aug 9 2004, 06:27 PM)
Best Wishes all for tomorrow.

The pass rates including nos. getting A/B/C are already out in the public if you want to know your chances.

View Post

Can I ask where (I've had a look at sqa.org.uk but can't see any mention)?

I'd also pass my good luck to all for tommorow *bites nails*

#4448 What's the course like?

Posted by russellelly on 07 June 2004 - 08:17 PM in Computing

What is the deal with the whole it's not ecoonomical nonsence? It;s a public school not a private business! Anyway there's 3 people doing it in my year and we're getting shoved in the Higher class and given work whilst listening to how to do 2^3. Aarghh mad.gif They must have had a teacher timetabled to take the AH class so they are being paid to be in the staff room; great economics rolleyes.gif

And smnacd Park Mains do it (Erskine). Don't know 'bout anywhere else in Renfrewhire.

#3633 How to calculate the percentage you need for an A

Posted by russellelly on 31 May 2004 - 10:20 PM in Computing

What exactly makes up the thirty courseowrk marks? I was given a mark out of twenty blink.gif . This was made up of two oprojects (out of 10 each)

#3524 Your Thoughts on the 2004 exam!

Posted by russellelly on 31 May 2004 - 03:15 PM in Computing

cake piece of. I'm sure you can rearrange it cool.gif Definately easier than last year IMO, and only a few difficult qs

#3166 The 2004 Physics Exam

Posted by russellelly on 28 May 2004 - 04:55 PM in Physics

I thought it was quite good, the odd tricky bit, but overall I'm not going to complain. cool.gif

#2528 How did the exam go?

Posted by russellelly on 24 May 2004 - 01:35 PM in Modern Studies

QUOTE (Marty @ May 24 2004, 12:44 PM)
Paper 1 was pretty fair.
The DME was a strange one, I was struggling for background knowledge on the NHS. One I had to make up " I know from my background knowledge politicans are very manipulative"- I hope it gives the market a good laugh at least.

My Background Knowlege was
  • Founding Principles (splitting up into different areas)
  • Civil Servants already advise on health (not certain on that tho)
  • Process of how MPs/MSPs can question health policy (PM/FMQs, Debates)

#2511 How did the exam go?

Posted by russellelly on 24 May 2004 - 12:22 PM in Modern Studies

Paper 1 was good for me (I did political systems/voting behaviour, the health one on reducing inequalities and USA), paper 2 was also quite good, never touched on independant groups but it seemed quite self-explanatory.

#2395 DME

Posted by russellelly on 23 May 2004 - 11:24 AM in Modern Studies

QUOTE (equin0x @ May 21 2004, 08:01 PM)
Im doing the DME on health, my teacher seems to think that it will be on foundation hospitals, anyone elses think that?

Could be possible, ie Source on success (or lack of) in England (and Wales?), then recomend whether or not to introduce them in Scotland. I suppose it might too recent to be in it but what about banning of smoking in public places (ala Dublin)?

#2192 The 2004 Maths Exam

Posted by russellelly on 21 May 2004 - 05:30 PM in Mathematics

Was I the only person who panicked at Q1 in paper 1 - of course it wasn't all that bad I just sort of got all muddled. Overall it was OK, I got quite a few wrong but I have done the same thing as other people so it's probably one mistake being carried through which shouldn't cost too many marks. I got an A in the prelim (on the cut-off) and am really hoping for an A or B (I want to do AH as well!).
As for Paper 1 Vs Paper 2 it's hard to say - the forst page of paper2 was very easy the rest was mixed and paper 1 was a bit mixed too.

#1912 Past Paper Solutions

Posted by russellelly on 19 May 2004 - 01:07 PM in Mathematics

For 2001/2 :
http://www.madras.fife.sch.uk/maths/answer...sH02paper1.html http://www.madras.fife.sch.uk/maths/answer...sH02paper2.html http://www.madras.fife.sch.uk/maths/answers/answersH01.html

However I was looking for a site with working to see where I go wrong, can't find such a site sad.gif

#1711 Electoral Systems, Voting & Political Attitudes

Posted by russellelly on 16 May 2004 - 12:50 PM in Modern Studies

QUOTE (George @ May 9 2004, 04:28 PM)
I am currently working on a release for this topic, which will include sample essays.

In the meantime, you might want to read this MORI report on the influence of the media. It offers a different slant to the "SUN WOT WON IT" argument.

I hope to have some more links over the next week or so. If you have any comments, or other good links, please chip in smile.gif

Good link biggrin.gif

'Fraid I don't have much to contribute tho unsure.gif

#1708 Exam Revision

Posted by russellelly on 16 May 2004 - 12:40 PM in Modern Studies

We only did 1 study theme in section 1 (Voting behaviour) and the bare minimum to pass the other NAB (hush hush don't tell the SQA wink.gif ). For Interntional Relations we did USA and China. I'll look over China but only use it if an America question is unanswerable.

#1568 What did u think of it??

Posted by russellelly on 14 May 2004 - 08:13 PM in Higher English Exam 2004

QUOTE (james1 @ May 14 2004, 08:10 PM)
Don't worry about it. Although these answers are not the official SQA ones they are specimen, likely solutions. Examiners giev credit where it's due. Mind you only the PA will have the provision marking scheme. It will be changed many times before the bulk of the marking finally gets underway after the meetings.

I am going to stop with the answers now as I have realised I should really ask the admin since they wren't happy about it before and deleted posts about me posting exam answers. I was suspended! dry.gif

Don't worry i have no prob;em with people posting their answers or opinions on the answers. Perhaps it would be best to have a seperate thread discussing this?

#1561 What did u think of it??

Posted by russellelly on 14 May 2004 - 07:57 PM in Higher English Exam 2004

QUOTE (james1 @ May 14 2004, 07:51 PM)
Russel for National Qualifications (Int2, Higher, AH etc) you only get an overall grade on your certificate.  No breakdown like SG and no bands on the certificate.

Cheers for the info cool.gif I think I'll stop reading this board as the more I read the more answers I read which I didn't get unsure.gif

#1557 What did u think of it??

Posted by russellelly on 14 May 2004 - 07:43 PM in Higher English Exam 2004

I would hate to get my hopes up, but I reckon I should have a C. I though the poetry questions were poor, but luckily I wasn't relying on them.

As a small point is your overall grade broken down on your certificate. And if so into which sections and is it broken into grades or bands etc?

Chris

#1470 That was ok

Posted by russellelly on 14 May 2004 - 01:39 PM in Higher English Exam 2004

You'd struggle to commplain about that - it seemed pretty fair. I did OK in both papers I reckon smile.gif

#1354 How many texts are u all revisin??

Posted by russellelly on 13 May 2004 - 08:28 AM in English

1 play (the Crucible) 1 novel (One day in the Life of Ivan denisovich) and 1 poem (Snake by DH Lawrence) and a scond poem as a last resort (Your Attention Please by Peter Porter)

#1126 Structuring Essays

Posted by russellelly on 09 May 2004 - 02:22 PM in English

Thanks a lot Allan!

Woiuld you have the synopsis built into the intro or as a seperate paragraph (or can you do either?)

Again cheers,

Chris

#1087 Structuring Essays

Posted by russellelly on 08 May 2004 - 01:29 PM in English

As if we didn't know the exam is around the corner, and I am still scoring around 10 for most critical essays. It's always 'good as far as it goes, but too short'. My problem is by the time I have written 2-3 main paras i have ran out of stuff to say. In the prelim I finnished each essay within about 35 mins. I usually look at one technique per paragraph ie para 1 charaterisation, para 2 theme, para 3 symblolism. Is there any better way of organising my essays so they become long enough to get up to the 12 mark?

Cheers

Chris

#1035 ARGH just over a week to go!!

Posted by russellelly on 05 May 2004 - 07:32 PM in English

VERY nervous, wishing it would be all over and that decent questions come up!

Very best of luck to ALL here

Let's not panic, and remember if it doesn't go to plan don't get too upset about it and stay focused on the exams you are still to sit - once you've left the room there's nothing You cna do about it, before you enter the room you still have some control smile.gif

#478 MS Higher

Posted by russellelly on 14 April 2004 - 12:46 PM in Modern Studies

This is my site which is based on Standard Grade Credit level, but much of the content is relevant for Higher as well - www.revisemodstuds.co.uk