Smoking

33 replies to this topic

Poll: Should smoking be banned in public places (in Scotland) (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Should smoking be banned in public places (in Scotland)

1. Yes (26 votes [92.86%])

Percentage of vote: 92.86%

2. No (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. still in 2 minds (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Oct 16 2004, 07:17 PM)
I think this might be a controversial issue but do you think that smokers should be treated on the NHS?

View Post

That's a standard question in a medical school interview.

My opinion is since the NHS is a National service provided by the government which (almost) everyone pays for through taxes then of course no one who is sick should be refuesed treatment.

The people who are currently being affected by a lifetime of smoking started when there was no health warnings about cigarettes. These people unquestionably deserve appropriate treatment, whether that happens to be palliative or curative is another issue.

People who start smoking now and who are very aware of the consequences are another issue. If there was infinite funds then of course everyone would receive equal priority. However, the world doesn't work like that. Hypothetically if there is only a enough money to treat a 10 patients and 9 come in with problems unrelated to smoking and a further 15 come in with a disease resultant from smoking (+ most probably several co-morbidities) then most doctors that I have asked say that they would treat the non-smokers first while of course trying to do what they can for the smokers. Whether that is the right way forward is open to interpretation.

As the proliferation of warnings becomes increasingly ubiquitous, people will no longer be able to complain that they did not understand the implications of smoking. Whether they want to go private for treatment is up to them.

Remember, people generally make the assumption that private healthcare is better than the NHS. What basis do they make that assumption on? True, waiting times in private care may be far smaller, but the care will be on par with the NHS, not necessarily better in most cases.

Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#22 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:24 PM

Some great points werlop!

I agree that no patient should be refused treatment.

But is it worthwhile carrying out a coronary arterty bypass for a patient knowing he/she will still continue smoking and has no plans to quit. Wouldn't it be more worthwhile spending the same amount of money to carry out six hip replacement operations?

#23 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:47 PM

I think basically one would have to analyse the situation on a case by case basis taking into account what benefit each individual would gain from having some procedure/operation carried out on them. (I love the euphemistic nature of the word "procedure"). Anyway yes you probably would try and help those for whom the most tangible benefit could be given. However, you can't (or shouldn't?) refuse to help someone because of your own view points. Sure I hate smoking and so do most sensible people, we only think we have the correct opinion, we could be totally wrong, even though in this case we aren't but you the point, just because an individual or a group takes a particular view point doesn't make it the absolutely correct view point. To use an analogy - Nazi Germany - many people serving under Hitler took his views to be correct, how many still have the same attitudes today?

Ohh I do ramble on don't I tongue.gif
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#24 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 17 October 2004 - 09:46 AM

basically from a political stand point you cannot in a "civilised society" start picking and choosing the people you treat even if its a free health service (at point of use) and your reasons for doing it are very noble and some may even say reasonable

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#25 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:44 AM

from the point of nhs treatment i think counselling is appropriate

the time is not rite tho for nhs treatment for all to give up smoking, theres already helplines and support networks in place for quitting smoking

there are more important issues the nhs has to deal with first

#26 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 17 October 2004 - 06:03 PM

Heres what I think

those who turn up at the doctors about smoking are usually those with serious issues, eg lung cancer(well maybe not that bad but u get the point), those with less serious illnesses just leave it(if they cared about their health in the first place, they wouldnt be smokin)

So on this basis, I would say that it is appropriate to treat those people, this is a moral issue as well - we cant let sum1 suffer more than sum1 else just because they smoke. I wouldnt just give them the treatment and say goodbye! I would follow up the treatment with fortnightly checkups etc, to allow me to track the progress of the smokin...have they stopped, have they smoked more.... and if they smoked more, it would be noted for the next time they need treatment (eg maybe still give the treatment, but ask them to stop smoking for a month or 2 before it to show they willl be off smokin after the treatment)

I need to stop ramblin on here! I have sooooooooooo much to say about smokin, I could go on forever, I get mixed up when I am tryin to prove a point cos when I am proovin the point, sum other point comes into my head and on it goes! lol

Shandogg

edited: my 200th post, woohoo! lol

Edited by Shandogg, 17 October 2004 - 07:27 PM.

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#27 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:53 PM

I am really happy! My mum stopped smokin at the beginnin of the week (I convinced her by saying me n my bro would give her £20 4 every month she goes without smokin)

Mite be savin her money, costin me tho! tongue.gif

But seriously, the house seems a lot cleaner and fresher!

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#28 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:20 PM

Shandogg I think you've been listened to! biggrin.gif

Smoking is to be banned in public places!!!!

#29 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:21 PM

sadly it doesn't start until spring 2006 i think they were saying

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#30 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:25 PM

Still, at least it's a big step forward.

Hopefully, it will stop people from smoking as much.

#31 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything goes really

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Nov 10 2004, 10:25 PM)
Still, at least it's a big step forward.

Hopefully, it will stop people from smoking as much.

View Post

its really minging and they shud ban it sooner but least their are considering the views and 2006 will cum round quickly hopefully!!!!
[color=Fur coat n nae "knickers"!!!!!!![/color]

#32 Shuggy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:You want to know what I do in my spare time y'mean? Nothing that can be repeated in a forum where there might be we'ans reading this dammit!

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:00 PM

People, when asked: "Would you like smoke-free public places" often respond in the affirmative because they assume pubs will continue as they are, only there won't be any smoke.

But the experience of other countries is that it shifts the entire culture of night-life - for the worse.

From all the anecdotes I've heard - and from what I've read - the most common word used to describe smoking-bans in countries that have gone ahead with this is stupid.

Have to say, I'm disappointed in the lack of liberal argument amongst you modern studies students.

#33 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:08 PM

Yeah the ban on smoking is the best thing tht Jack McConnell has ever done.

Quite stunned he actually did it!

Definately a gd decision as i dont go into places where there are smoke!

#34 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:30 PM

It's a great idea, glad it's been done!

But I do think it's gonna be hard to enforce, "smoke-free" areas at the moment are still often filled with smokers breaking the rules e.g. buses, trains, shopping centres etc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users