Stupid periods

88 replies to this topic

Poll: do u think periods such as r.e and p.s.e shud be used 4 study otha thn pointless work (76 member(s) have cast votes)

do u think periods such as r.e and p.s.e shud be used 4 study otha thn pointless work

1. yes (34 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

2. no (24 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

3. it already ahppens in my skool (18 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:43 AM

we are losing a period in gaelic each week cuz we're on a rotation sorta thing wiv pe, re and psed.....its soooo pointless....we're already behind on the course as it is sad.gif

#62 south lanarkshire jag

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:34 PM

we have PSE days ie one day for health one day for citizenship etc

so effectively we lose a week of the time table

#63 princess

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

At our school you don't get PSE or RE in 5th or 6th year. I think 1st to 4th years should get these subjects but PSE is much in need of some sorting out. When i had it from 1st to 4th year we basically done hardly anything. It is useful when you do stuff though but the subject needs to be more organized. For those of you who still get PSE in 5th/6th year I agree it should be a study period or something. At least that would be more benefitial.

#64 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

but do the government not put pressure on schools to teach us about drugs, alcohol etc so they have to show that they are doing something and too be fair would you actually use it for study, in my S.E class our teacher let us just study alot in 6th year but most people just sat and had a wee chat, nobody did much work

#65 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:10 PM

At my school pse and re stopped at the end of 4th year, thats probably why there were so many people that got pregnant though

#66 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:26 PM

lol maybe it is because up round your way there is nothing else to do: no tv, radio, shops, carry outs, cinema hehe sorry

sex educationa t school was pretty useless though i felt

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#67 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:51 PM

I always thought they should teach useful things in S.E like about mortgages and real life stuff that would come in useful

#68 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:58 PM

actually thing about there being nothing to do is probably right, and they kinda started sex education a bit too late for some people in our class, because there was a rumour that at least 2 people had been pregnant

#69 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:39 PM

In my School you get Sex Education, and Drugs Abuse education from first year untill fourth year, in PSE, and Sex Education in fourth year RE, along with Higher Biology you get some sort of Sex Ed, dunno what though, only know this as the Head of Biology MUST be Catholic, in a Roman Catholic School, which mine is, for that reason.

In fifth year RE we are taught about Morals, Human Rights, something about hapiness, and philoshy type stuff, a diffrent teacher for each one.

In Sixth year RE so far it's been more of a getting to know your class thing, but there has been serious things kind of, like last week there we somehow got into a discussion about me not being a Catholic, despite me being baptised, etc, and talked about the 7 Deadly Sins and all that, dunno how we got there though blink.gif

In 5th year PSE it is, actually i wouldnt know, my class never did anything when i was there.

In 6th year, your split into two groups, UCAS and Non-UCAS

In the UCAS section you basicly have a wee meeting with the UCAS woman about what you want to do, and if the grades you require are achievable, work on your Personal Statement, fill in your UCAS form, and normally any Fith/Sixth year assemblies happen then aswell.

#70 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:31 PM

in a catholic school all promoted staff must be catholic

but dont get me started on ur catholic schools grrr

#71 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

Sorry but you are wrong, only RE Teachers, Head of Guidance/Pastoral Care and Head of Biology are required to be Catholic, and possibly the Head Teacher, other than that, the rest don't need to be Catholic, as we had a Protestant Head of Music as an example for more than five years, un till the position was abolished, and the Art, Music and Drama departments were merged.

EDIT: Just get started on Catholic schools anyway, i would love to hear what you have got to say smile.gif

Edited by John, 06 November 2005 - 04:21 PM.

#72 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:00 PM

What's keeping you Dave?

#73 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:54 PM

i dont think there should be catholic schools, islamic school, jewish school or any type of religious school its just wrong

Education should be about giving an unbiased set of facts about life and academia but with a twist of bible and mass and what god has to say on the issue

I agree that people think having single demonination schools leads to racism because the students are too sheltered and having there own religion drummed into them

#74 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Nov 7 2005, 06:54 PM)
i dont think there should be catholic schools, islamic school, jewish school or any type of religious school its just wrong

Education should be about giving an unbiased set of facts about life and academia but with a twist of bible and mass and what god has to say on the issue

View Post

Those two statements are contradictory, firstly you say Denominational schools are wrong, then you say Education should be mixed with the bible and mass, where as mass only happens in Denominational Schools.

And you get taught unbiased facts in Catholic schools, as there is only two Subjects which will differ in a Catholic school to that in a Non-Denominational school, are RE and Higher Biology, although Biology wont be diffrent enough to have a large enough effect to cause damage to the course the pupils are being taught.

Further to the support for Catholic Schools, it allows a parent of a child to choose to give their child an education in their religion. There are also protestants, sikhs and muslims, Agnostics(possibly more as well) at my school, and their parent's have sent them to a Catholic school as it encourages Spirituality. We also have Aetiests, but they aren't sent to Catholic schools for encouragement of spirituality, for obvious reasons.

QUOTE(Dave @ Nov 7 2005, 06:54 PM)

I agree that people think having single demonination schools leads to racism because the students are too sheltered and having there own religion drummed into them

View Post

I disagree with this, as i have seen racism equally in both Catholic and Non-Denominational schools. Being taught in either school doesnt cause racism, it is forces outside of school which cause this, such as a childs upbringing. Within school , Catholic School or not, you are strictly taught to love and respect everyone, no matter what race, religion, where they come from, etc.

Catholic Schools do not drum Catholacism into their pupils, yes they focus on Catholocism about 60% of the RE course 1st to 3rd, the rest of the time spent in RE is Sex ed, philosophy, morals and human rights education. You are given a teaching that does it's best to open your minds to the world, not close them.

#75 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:47 PM

see that was a typo i obviously meant to say WITHOUT bibles and masses and priests

I do know that people of faith send there children to catholic schools because its basically the only thing they can get for free (which btw i think is wrong) the point still stays the same. The point is religion has been added to education and that can only be a bad thing

#76 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Nov 7 2005, 09:47 PM)
see that was a typo i obviously meant to say WITHOUT bibles and masses and priests

I do know that people of faith send there children to catholic schools because its basically the only thing they can get for free (which btw i think is wrong) the point still stays the same. The point is religion has been added to education and that can only be a bad thing

View Post

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

i do not agree

#77 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:41 AM

When I looked at the title of this topic, I was like wtf? blink.gif I thought it was going to be a rant from a female HSN member about periods. laugh.gif laugh.gif

#78 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:43 AM

exactly what i thought originally, and I'm quite dissapointed actually! laugh.gif

#79 *sofax*

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:playing the fiddle, swimming, music, the OC, Will and Grace and going out with friends. Not that there is much to do here!!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

That would be quite funny actually!! haha!! All us girls having a good moan!! tongue.gif
*a wee drop of heaven*

x sophie x

#80 south lanarkshire jag

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:15 PM

too much information

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users