Stupid periods

88 replies to this topic

Poll: do u think periods such as r.e and p.s.e shud be used 4 study otha thn pointless work (76 member(s) have cast votes)

do u think periods such as r.e and p.s.e shud be used 4 study otha thn pointless work

1. yes (34 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

2. no (24 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

3. it already ahppens in my skool (18 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:47 PM

we had to do PSE and RE right the way through school.

RE = 2 periods a week in sixth year.

Ended up we'd either be down in the town centre or in the common room. Had a huge fight with the teacher basically telling him to F off because it was so crap.
user posted image
user posted image

#22 lorna_04

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Justboy @ Oct 25 2004, 03:40 PM)
I have 6 free periods in the week, in different slots each day. On thursday it's last period so I get to go home at around 2:35pm, it's great biggrin.gif

View Post

6 free periods, that all! I've got 11 and the only time i can can get home early is friday at 2.30.
How many subjects u doin this year??

#23 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:03 PM

6 is the norm at my school because you are made to take 4 subjects

I however have 9-10 free periods depending if you see paired help as a free period this is because my 4th subject is AH physics at another school

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#24 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:44 PM

Not fair! sad.gif
I only get 4 free and i am not even meant to have tht. I am doin 2 crash highers a higher and an Int 2 this yr!! mad.gif

#25 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

We get PSE by extraction in S5 and S6 (taken out of classes when they want us - happens only about 4 or 5 times in the whole year). RE we don't get unless it is picked.

At our School S6 students will have a minimum of 18 teaching periods (out of 30) a week in class and the other 12 are to be used "constructivley" (revision, extra tutoring, community involvement, prefect duties, assissting in junior classes and so on)
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#26 bassmanyoowan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Music, Computer games, my bad (craprock.co.uk), partyin, n' protestin'

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:42 PM

Why would you not want these periods?

Its a good hour(ish) to laze about and do nothing!

#27 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:55 PM

Sadly my 'free' periods have turned into 'study' periods now that the prelims have begun. sad.gif

#28 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:56 PM

yes but your not always doing nothing there is usually some idoit trying to tell you about some pointless rubbish, we were doing study skills before we left i hate it i mean if i cant study properly by now i would be a hopeless case

#29 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:55 PM

Imagine a women past her sell by date preaching the ways of 'you know what'. It becomes ludicrous...as she not only imparts her knowledge to us but takes us on journeys on her 'helicopter'...barmy (I love her really)...

#30 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:22 PM

laugh.gif i remember in 3rd year having a health nursey person from "the clinic" coming to talk to us about abortion and other nasties of teenage life (her words not mine) it was really wierd to talk to this old old fat women

I say talk but not one person spoke for the whole periods it got to the stage when for 10 mins straight she looked at us and we looked at her rolleyes.gif

#31 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:02 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'll probably be a little off-topic.
RE is done badly because although it teaches the fundamentals of a few mainstream philosophies quite well, when it teaches about religion, it does it all wrong. It is more concerned with small aspects of religions, and you don't actually get taught what the religion truely is, you merely examine random aspects...

PSE is different in 5th and 6th to the other years. I didn't get any PSE in 3rd year for some reason. In 5th and 6th year, the PSE course is aimed at helping us move out of school easily, although alot of it is utterly useless. Thankfully the fire bell rang during the recent talk on stress management biggrin.gif Anyway, my point being that PSE is actually made different in 5th and 6th year. Sometimes they merge the two years into one PSE session, meaning the 6 year-ers get repeat PSE's, and sometimes 6th gets stuff like UCAS which isn't dealt with in the 5th year pse stuff.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#32 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(herbeey @ Mar 19 2005, 11:02 PM)
I haven't read the whole thread, so I'll probably be a little off-topic.
RE is done badly because although it teaches the fundamentals of a few mainstream philosophies quite well, when it teaches about religion, it does it all wrong. It is more concerned with small aspects of religions, and you don't actually get taught what the religion truely is, you merely examine random aspects...

PSE is different in 5th and 6th to the other years. I didn't get any PSE in 3rd year for some reason. In 5th and 6th year, the PSE course is aimed at helping us move out of school easily, although alot of it is utterly useless. Thankfully the fire bell rang during the recent talk on stress management  biggrin.gif  Anyway, my point being that PSE is actually made different in 5th and 6th year. Sometimes they merge the two years into one PSE session, meaning the 6 year-ers get repeat PSE's, and sometimes 6th gets stuff like UCAS which isn't dealt with in the 5th year pse stuff.

View Post

I beg to differ. I go to an RC school. I think where RE goes wrong is that they do teach you the religion but yet not in the right way. They don't teach you about other religions, about tolerance etc. They don't teach you why something is a rule in the church and therefore are not allowing you to make your own opinion. Basically I think our problem with RE is the complete opposite of yours.
Additonally 5th and 6th year PSE classes should not be merged.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#33 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:19 PM

I agree with you very last statement very much so.

Just to clarify what I was saying about RE; I believe that they don't teach the essence of the religions, and I also believe they should teach all of the very main religions in more depth.

#34 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:29 PM

Yeh I think your right. I think Catholic schools are the worst though. You get taught the same syllabus every year.
Before anyone starts saying I'm racist or whatever I'm not. I'm purely talking about my experience of my religion.

#35 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:38 PM

If the school is a 'religious' school (I can't think of a better name for it), then it is fine for it to put emphasis on it's religion, but definitely should teach about other religions too. Ignorance of other peoples' beliefs leads to bad things.

#36 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:56 PM

yes exactly so of the teaching in some of the single religion schools could actually be quite dangerous

#37 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:58 PM

Dangerous- I take that offensively. I do think I should have been taught more about other religions (luckily I learnt about this in primary)- those who are mature and are taught one religion will be tolerant and understanding of all religions. Those who are not mature are dangerous though, whether they are taught about one or many, neds have usually made up their mind before hand.

#38 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:06 PM

If people aren't taught to respect other religions and why they should respect them religious and racial hatred can build up. What about anti-semitic and anti-Muslim incidents, even groups like al-Q'aeda? People who may be seen as "mature" in their society and are taught about only their religion aren't necessarily tolerant and understanding of all religions.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#39 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:35 PM

what i was saying is that there is a definete feeling in private single religion schools that they are the best and have the best way of life etc

this sort of teaching can in opinion only led to trouble

#40 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

Well ok true. All I am saying is that not all single religion schools are like that and saying they all are is in fact racist and therefore very hypocritical of you. I do accept some single religion schools are like that but it is in the minority, its the class case of letting a few bad apples spoil your opinion of the whole bag.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users