Stupid periods

88 replies to this topic

Poll: do u think periods such as r.e and p.s.e shud be used 4 study otha thn pointless work (76 member(s) have cast votes)

do u think periods such as r.e and p.s.e shud be used 4 study otha thn pointless work

1. yes (34 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

2. no (24 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

3. it already ahppens in my skool (18 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything goes really

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:15 PM

these periods are pointless they wud be more beneficial to higher+ pupils 2 do hw or study do u agree??
[color=Fur coat n nae "knickers"!!!!!!![/color]

#2 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:03 PM

5th and 6th years don't get RE unless they pick it
6th years get a free period instead of PSE

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:06 PM

5th and 6th year don't do RE at my school but we still have PSE which i can't stand but only because of the rubbish course which is the same for every year in the school.

As for RE in my school its a joke but i reallly is a must because we must educate children about other races to teach children to respect other races and generally engrain a feeling in these children that racism is wrong and so is extreamism which are the major problems in todays society

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:06 PM

I get RE in my school and to be fair I don't really see the point. To be honest I don't feel that anything was really learned from last year (where each lesson involved removing a period of a subject each week, and alternating the subject switched each time). It was a welcome break from working hard however, but still... Many people didn't show any interest, many messed about, and many just didn't bother turning up. It was hit or miss as to whether what we learned on that day was interesting. Discussions and stuff were often alright, but on the whole not much was learned.

It didn't exactly prevent me doing well though my five highers, and most to all people should be able to cope with a period a week. I'm at a Catholic school so it's kind of assumed that you do some sort of religious and moral education, and that's fair enough in my opinion.

#5 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:42 PM

i agree that the class are badly run/designed but that has to change not the idea of having them in the lower school

#6 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:30 PM

At my school we don't get R.E or PSE in 5th/6th. Although I think we got 4 hours worth of pse in 5th year ( spread over the year, health talks/ sex talks etc. )

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(strosek911 @ Oct 13 2004, 07:03 PM)
5th and 6th years don't get RE unless they pick it
6th years get a free period instead of PSE

View Post

I think this is bad, 6th years need PSE for help with filling in UCAS forms, personal statements, other types of work, how to apply and get a job, working abroad, careers guidance etc however I agree with the RE thing!

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 13 2004, 09:06 PM)
5th and 6th year don't do RE at my school but we still have PSE which i can't stand but only because of the rubbish course which is the same for every year in the school.

As for RE in my school its a joke but i reallly is a must because we must educate children about other races to teach children to respect other races and generally engrain a feeling in these children that racism is wrong and so is extreamism which are the major problems in todays society

View Post

Now the course for PSE shouldnt be the same for every year, particualry for 5th and 6th year this is very important for the same reasons I mentioned above! I agree with u about RE but I go to a catholic school and that hasnt been in our course since first year, cureently we r doing "The Christian, Humanist and Materialist views of long term and short-term happiness".

QUOTE(Infinite_Dreams @ Oct 13 2004, 11:06 PM)
I get RE in my school and to be fair I don't really see the point. To be honest I don't feel that anything was really learned from last year (where each lesson involved removing a period of a subject each week, and alternating the subject switched each time). It was a welcome break from working hard however, but still... Many people didn't show any interest, many messed about, and many just didn't bother turning up. It was hit or miss as to whether what we learned on that day was interesting. Discussions and stuff were often alright, but on the whole not much was learned.

It didn't exactly prevent me doing well though my five highers, and most to all people should be able to cope with a period a week. I'm at a Catholic school so it's kind of assumed that you do some sort of religious and moral education, and that's fair enough in my opinion.

View Post

I agree with you about RE and I also am at a Catholic school however we had seperate RE periods so that it didnt interfere with our subjects, I dont think schools should replace a period of a qualification type subject with RE but I do agree we should do RE! People shouldnt mess about but should learn in an interesting way instead of the traditional rubbish we r stuck with!

QUOTE(Justboy @ Oct 14 2004, 05:30 PM)
At my school we don't get R.E or PSE in 5th/6th. Although I think we got 4 hours worth of pse in 5th year ( spread over the year, health talks/ sex talks etc. )

View Post

This is bad! Again 5th /6th years need PSE!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#8 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

I see where you're coming from about educating CHILDREN in other religions but we're 6th years now, so 16 or 17, is there really any need for it now?

#9 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:05 AM

by 16/17 views on other religions are already formed. When I was at School, the 5th/6th years don't get RE (and don't think that we can choose it for Higher etc.) but we had PSE but once we had done the UCAS form, it was one of the most pointless periods ever. The only good thing was that we got out earlier biggrin.gif

#10 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:34 PM

I think that PSE is needed for 6th years for ucas n stuff although our teacher is crap and doesn't help us at all!!

R.E i duno cause we never really got proper R.E as the teacher at our school is always off, but wen we did have it i thot it was okay, so i dont think it wud bother me still doin R.E. I feel reallys orry for R.E teachers as they must have a really hard time with all the arogant people who take the p**s the whole time.

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:07 PM

i had PSE today all about citizenship i was sitting there and now i feel its useless i mean totally a wate of time. We had a discussion about what was a good citizen and noone had any idea it was all talk about right to free speech = do what you want and we all have no right to judge. ie we shouldn't punish people for doing the "wrong thing" which means we should have no rules: its crazy blink.gif

#12 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:13 PM

We don't get PSE periods as such in 6th year. But some weeks we have meetings during the period where we should get it, to discuss UCAS forms, personal statements.

I think this is adequate, as really you've learned all the stuff in PSE over the last 5 years. If we need any help with application forms etc we can go and see the careers teacher during this period.

Mark

#13 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:21 PM

sounds best

anyway found out the topics this year for PSE at my school

citizenship
bullying
alcohol
sex ed
joy riding
after school

all very samey apart from joy riding and citizenship which is new for all year groups i hear

#14 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:02 PM

In fifth year a regular RE period was dropped and it was basically integrated into a 4 period course in PSE. Now, in 6th year we dont have RE or PSE, ofcourse you can take up RMPS if you like.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#15 Hell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:17 PM

In my school we don't have PSE and RE at core level in fith year rolleyes.gif , however we still have to do IT or Workig with Others and PE. I took Working With Others, I think that it's a bit of a waste of time but on the other hand it gives you some light relif,It's nice to have an easy class you don't have to think mutch about once a week.

#16 lorna_04

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:55 PM

We dont have PSE, but the whole of 6th year has a free period 1st on a monday which can then be used for any talks we have from universities, committee meetings with our year head/Captains etc.
However as exam time draws nearer, i would imagine this period will be made free for studying.

#17 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:08 PM

free period for the whole year blink.gif

thats quite something is it not really busy and not that great an idea or do you like it

#18 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:32 PM

everyone in 6th year has thursday 5/6 off, unless they do psychology. needless to say everyone else just goes home.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#19 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:40 PM

I have 6 free periods in the week, in different slots each day. On thursday it's last period so I get to go home at around 2:35pm, it's great biggrin.gif

#20 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Justboy @ Oct 25 2004, 04:40 PM)
On thursday it's last period so I get to go home at around 2:35pm, it's great biggrin.gif

View Post

Thts da same as me but i also have it first thing on a tuesday but i go in them as i am not meant to go home in private study! Its crap as on a Thursday its like a James Bond mission to get out o school without any teachers seeing us! cool.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users