Was your appeal successful?

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Was your appeal successful? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Was your appeal successful?

1. unsuccessful (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. FAIL >> C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. D >> C (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. C >> B (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. B >> A (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. downgraded (specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:57 PM

Hey, just outta curiosity, I am wondering how generous the SQA were this year in givin out appeals. This will allow us to draw sum conclusions at the end of the poll, feel free to add your own conclusions!

(PS What subjects did u appeal for and what were u upgraded, downgraded to?)

Thanx!
Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#2 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:58 PM

I was upgraded from an B to an A in AH Maths
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#3 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:28 PM

I went from a B to an A in Higher Physics.

And my English appeal was unsuccesful. But that didn't surprise me, I did bugger all in English last year.

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:00 PM

i tried to get an appeal for physics but didn't because they felt i didn't have enough evidence after the prelim ie: no second prelim covering all 3 units

Not exactly my fault is it. What is my fault of course is not getting enough marks in the first place to get an A outright

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:13 PM

Quite a lot of people in my school got their appeals, which included:

Chemistry - B to an A
English - C to a B
Craft and Design C to a B

Can't remember any more just now.......

#6 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:44 PM

In My AH Maths class, 3 people got upgraded from C to a B, I got uprgraded from B to A, one stayed at B, and 1 stayed at A....out of 6 ppl, 4 got an upgrade....wot happened to this 10% rule which states only 10% of the class can submit an appeal. This annoyed me cos in AH Art, the teacher was under the impression that he could only appeal for 1 person (and appealed for 2 at a chance) so didnt appeal for me cos the priority was to those who failed.....but then Maths gets 4 appeals out of 5!

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#7 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

Any1 fancy drawin any conclusions?

I can bout AH Maths - the exam must have been hard, as they were generous with the appeals in my class.

do u think they were generous / not generous with appeals overall?

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#8 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:17 PM

I don't think there is a "10% rule". I have heard however that less than 10% of appeals are successful. That's not based on any particular subject, that's over all subjects. He may have just decided there was no point in appealing, ie. you passed at a certain level before by the skin of your teeth, so he reckoned it'd fail.

#9 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Infinite_Dreams @ Oct 13 2004, 11:17 PM)
I don't think there is a "10% rule". I have heard however that less than 10% of appeals are successful. That's not based on any particular subject, that's over all subjects. He may have just decided there was no point in appealing, ie. you passed at a certain level before by the skin of your teeth, so he reckoned it'd fail.

View Post

nope, there is a 10% rule, thats wot he told us, he was only able to appeal for 10% of the class, we were told this in Guidance as well. And he definitely wanted to appeal for me as I was predicted and A and only got a C#

shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#10 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:45 PM

Yes there is definately a 10% rule although I'm not 100% sure of what it actually is.

Infinite_Dreams here are the success rates of appeals over the past few years:

2000 - 43%
2001 - 38%
2002 - 40%
2003 - 45%

Does anyone know the success rates of appeals for this years exams?

Overall, in my school I would say the majority of people didn't get their appeals. Only a couple of people did.

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:21 PM

I was the only person in my year to have a grade for english upgraded on appeal.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

yes there is a 10% rule and it simply means that the SQA will only accept appeals for upto 10% of a class.

however, there is a get out cloze where the teacher writes a little letter of why more than 10% of the class performed worse than expected.

Thing is some teachers have issues adn do silly things like believe the SQA wink.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 14 2004, 04:40 PM)
yes there is a 10% rule and it simply means that the SQA will only accept appeals for upto 10% of a class.

however, there is a get out cloze where the teacher writes a little letter of why more than 10% of the class performed worse than expected.

Thing is some teachers have issues adn do silly things like believe the SQA wink.gif

View Post

Yeh, my art teacher was supposed to rite a letter explainin y he had to submit more than 10% for appeals...dont kno if he did tho
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users