Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The USA - HSN forum

The USA

5 replies to this topic

#1 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:33 PM

Has anyone completed the USA topic yet? We're just about finished it so will be doing the NAB soon, it seems a pretty straightforward topic, just a lot of figures to remember as usual!
Have to say I dont like the essay writing though, it seems worse than English as there is so little time to write everything you intend to.
Whats everyone elses' views on this, anyone having any problems?

#2 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:41 PM

I'm finding it rather boring, don't really like the class. It's a shame since I like the subject sad.gif

#3 Shuggy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:You want to know what I do in my spare time y'mean? Nothing that can be repeated in a forum where there might be we'ans reading this dammit!

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(natalie1062 @ Oct 11 2004, 07:33 PM)
Has anyone completed the USA topic yet?  We're just about finished it so will be doing the NAB soon, it seems a pretty straightforward topic, just a lot of figures to remember as usual!
Have to say I dont like the essay writing though, it seems worse than English as there is so little time to write everything you intend to.
Whats everyone elses' views on this, anyone having any problems?

View Post

The time is far too short; the actual exam is worse, I'm afraid - I think it works out at about 18mins per answer...

#4 angela_bonjela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:20 AM

I'm sitting the ethnic minorities in USA nab tomorrow. I find the course easy enough to follow but i'm finiding it difficult to remember facts and figures. Also, even though I do the learning, that is only good for outcome 1 questions which test your understanding. I find outcome 2 questions difficult as you need to think beyond the answer which is where I'm getting stuck. Any advice?

#5 Shuggy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:You want to know what I do in my spare time y'mean? Nothing that can be repeated in a forum where there might be we'ans reading this dammit!

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(angela_bonjela @ Jan 24 2005, 11:20 AM)
I'm sitting the ethnic minorities in USA nab tomorrow. I find the course easy enough to follow but i'm finiding it difficult to remember facts and figures. Also, even though I do the learning, that is only good for outcome 1 questions which test your understanding. I find outcome 2 questions difficult as you need to think beyond the answer which is where I'm getting stuck. Any advice?

View Post

Yup - if you're having problems remembering stats, the key thing is:

1) Don't try to remember too many, 'cos you'll just forget them on the day

2) If you can't remember on the actual day, don't make them up; instead use approximations. E.g. instead of trying to remember a precise stat like 73.2%, why not just say, "nearly three-quarters" etc. Same with dates: if something you want to refer to happened in 1987, fo example, just say, "the late eighties" and so on.

On the EV question: treat it like a conversation where there are always more than one possible points of view. If, for example, you're studing for a question that might say something like, "PR is more democratic than FPTP" - Discuss - don't just research about PR, remember arguments of people who do not agree that PR is more democratic. This can be done for every topic.

The structure for EV is much the same as that for the DME:

Make the point/use the example

Show an awareness that there are arguments against this

Refute the arguments against

#6 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:56 PM

I found the USA section quite easy. The Essays are not as bad as the english ones as I find it easier to get the marks in Modern Studies (as you don't seem to ned to write anywhere enar as much). However, Figures (through past experiance) are very, very valuable and (accorind to my teacher, who marks for the SQA) "stand out" at the markers showing them that you know your stuff.

We worked it out in class that for the essay Questions it is 17 and a half minutes for each question, but it is the DME you need to watch - 1 hour 20 minutes for 30 marks!

Good luck when the NAB comes
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users