Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
STUDY THEME 4 - THE ELECTORAL SYSTEM - HSN forum

STUDY THEME 4 - THE ELECTORAL SYSTEM

12 replies to this topic

#1 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything goes really

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:49 PM

hI I AM CURRENTLY DOING MODIES AND FINDING IT TEDIOUS. i AM SITTING A NAB NXT WEEK AND I AM REALLY REALLY WORRIED. The nab will be tested on study theme 4 the electoral system, however i am stuck on what questions might be asked as its an analysis question!!!!!!!!.

Do any of you know what i might be asked in the anyalisis part as it wwould be a great help and it would be much appreciated.

Paul cool.gif
[color=Fur coat n nae "knickers"!!!!!!![/color]

#2 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:02 PM

Well i cant really memeber but the one in the exam was along the lines of:

"Examine which voting factors have more influence over the way people vote."

So u just pic 2 or 3 things eg. The press, social class, ethnic backgroung and asess which ones r the most influencial.

Hope th helps, any more questions dont hesitate to ask me! tongue.gif

#3 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:10 PM

Hi well this is an analysis question and its on the electoral ststems. So i was wondering if you could outline how i would answer an anyalisis question and if you can remember any. It will probs be along lines of fptp stv and ams.

Paul wink.gif

#4 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:38 PM

Well if it something about the voting system briefly outline the system which you are using but dont use too much time doing this as time is quite tight! Also remember to put in as many examples as possible it always gives u extra points especially if they are recent. Also at the end remeber to come to a conclusion as that is crucial to the whole thing. Its basically just an argument which u have to chose and they persue throughout the answer.

#5 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:43 PM

I found the electoral system / voting behaviour quite a nice and easy unit, although I did fine in the nab the question i was given was the only possible question that could be given that I didn't revise.. dry.gif

#6 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 11:27 AM

My NAB is on nov 1 and i am quite worried!!!!! i think it will prob be on an electoral systemm - FPTP - PR - AMS - STV.
What was ur nab question on this unit plz.

#7 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 17 October 2004 - 07:52 PM

My question was Describe the advantages and disadvantages of FPTP, but I think your teacher is allowed to pick any question from the unit they want..

#8 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Justboy @ Oct 17 2004, 07:52 PM)
My question was Describe the advantages and disadvantages of FPTP, but I think your teacher is allowed to pick any question from the unit they want..

View Post

I know it will be a descriptive so do u have 2 write 5 points for and five points against to get full marks

#9 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Paul!"£$%^&*11 @ Oct 20 2004, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE(Justboy @ Oct 17 2004, 07:52 PM)

View Post

I know it will be a descriptive so do u have 2 write 5 points for and five points against to get full marks

View Post

No u will neva have enough time to do tht! i think about three of one and two of the other will be fine if they are explained with examples.

#10 smurph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:49 PM

on the electoral systems nabs they can only really ask two different questions.
1. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of FPTP
2. Describe factors which influence voting behaviour

thats all they can really ask you, all you have to do is make yourself some notes and read them over and over, its the only way to learn it. it is really quite crappy and boring but if you can get this question sorted you are pretty much guarenteed about 8/10 marks!

#11 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(smurph @ Oct 26 2004, 12:49 PM)
on the electoral systems nabs they can only really ask two different questions. 
1.  Describe the advantages and disadvantages of FPTP
2.  Describe factors which influence voting behaviour

thats all they can really ask you, all you have to do is make yourself some notes and read them over and over, its the only way to learn it.  it is really quite crappy and boring but if you can get this question sorted you are pretty much guarenteed about 8/10 marks!

View Post

I think it will probs b on fptp but 4 10 marks i don't know how much to write
i have learned 5 for and 5 against will i be able to write tht much and wil i get the amrks if i just briefly describe them???

rolleyes.gif

#12 smurph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:55 PM

Well for a question like the advantages and disadvantages you should write something along the libes of:

There are many advantages and disadvantages with FPTP, however in recent elections it has become apparent that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. FPTP is a system where a party can achieve a majority in the commons without actually receiving the majority of votes. this was seen in the recent election with labour receiving 42% of the votes but actually gaining 63%(i think, its been a while) of the votes. this is a major disadvantage as the views of the people are not being reflected in the commons. however FPTP does keep a very strong link between the party and the constituents. this is a very important factor as many constituents, especially older people feel a strong bond with their Mp is paramount in getting their opinons felt in parliament. FPTP also insures that small extremist parties do not get voted into Parliament, leaving only major parties with the chance to be elected in large numbers. However this has seen hudge opposition from many small parties such as the greens, who are not being represented with the % of votes they receive in parliament. This was seen in the 2001 election where greens receieved 5% of the vote but only 3% of the seats in parliament. This again doesnt represent the wishes of the people, proving to be one of the major downfalls of FPTP.......

Sorry, rambled on a bit. But if u base your argument in that type of form then you are almost argueing with yourself and gaining marks all the time. It is very important to put in examples, even if they arent right, make them up! But make sure you have some flow to it and it isnt just basic hardcore facts, put them in to back up what you are saying! Dont worry about it, you pick up alot of marks in your DME.

good luck with your NAB!

#13 Shuggy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:You want to know what I do in my spare time y'mean? Nothing that can be repeated in a forum where there might be we'ans reading this dammit!

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Paul!"£$%^&*11 @ Oct 7 2004, 06:49 PM)
hI I AM CURRENTLY DOING MODIES AND FINDING IT TEDIOUS. i AM SITTING A NAB NXT WEEK AND I AM REALLY REALLY WORRIED. The nab will be tested on study theme 4 the electoral system, however i am stuck on what questions might be asked as its an analysis question!!!!!!!!.

Do any of you know what i might be asked in the anyalisis part as it wwould be a great help and it would be much appreciated.

Paul cool.gif

View Post

If it's analysis then it won't ask you to "describe". You will be asked to discuss either FPTP or PR or both. At the heart of the issue is whether - and to what extent - FPTP/PR can be "undemocratic". FPTP can be considered "undemocratic" because it produces minority governments (no government since 1945 has received more than 50% of the vote); it "punishes" third and fourth parties (e.g. in 1997, the Tories got 17% of the vote and no seats in Scotland and, therefore, doesn't represent minorities very well); and it leads to very strong governments that can then press ahead with unpopular legislation (e.g. Maggie Thatcher and the "poll tax").

PR (like the AMS system in Scotland) tend to produce coalitions that typically represent 60%+ of the electorate. It also allows better minority representation (Greens, SSP and Tories in Scottish Parliament, for example). But it's too simplistic to say that, therefore, PR is more "democratic"; there are a number of problems with it, including: coalitions that produce a programme of legislation which will contain elements that no-one voted for (e.g. the compromise over student fees cooked up by the Lab/Lib Dem coalition after the first Scottish elections); gives too much power to minority parties that might be extremists (e.g. Israel, which uses a very pure form of PR); it can put too much power in the hands of the party machine (by the use of lists); it can produce instability (av. duration of a government in Italy = 1 year); and it can produce a change in government without anyone casting a vote, as happened in Ireland a few years back (the Labour party withdrew from a coalition with Fianna Fail and teamed up with Fine Gael).

In reality, both systems have there advantages: in divided communities (N. Ireland, Belgium, Holland, South Africa) PR is probably more appropriate but it lacks the advatage of being able to facilitate a complete "regime change", as in the UK and the US.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users