Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Personal Statement Advice - HSN forum

Personal Statement Advice

12 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 05 October 2004 - 03:02 PM

Seeing as most people (including me!) will probably be in the process of writing their personal statements, I thought I would post some advice I've read and received on writing a personal statement. Remember that your personal statement could be the deciding factor whether you get a place at your chosen course(s) so it's vital that you make it pretty decent.

Feel free to post any advice you have aswell. smile.gif

Your Personal Statement
If you are using UCASapply your personal statement should be a maximum of 47 lines - one word over and it is automatically deleted! Try leaving a line between each of your paragraphs as indenting is not possible. The only editing options which are available are underlining, bold type and italics. UCASapply sets your personal statement to a default size 12 and font Times New Roman.

Remember to ask your teachers, friends and family to look at your personal statement so that they can give you constructive critisicm on it.

Make sure you relate everything you write to your chosen course(s).

What should it include?
Your personal statement might follow the following format:
  • Why you want to study your chosen course(s) - most important
  • Career aspiration
  • Relevant work experience or conferences attended
  • Extra-curricular activities (e.g. Duke of Edinburgh Award; Young Enterprise etc.)
  • School activities which you are involved in (e.g. Head Boy/Girl; Prefect; Commitees etc.)
  • Hobbies, interests etc
  • Conclusion about why you should be picked
You may also want to include information about your chosen subjects this year, e.g. how experiments in Chemistry have developed you manual dexterity etc.

Things to avoid
Some things you may want to avoid are:
  • Quotes from novels.
  • The good ol' 'I was interested in [insert course here] from the age of 6' thing.
  • Starting sentences with 'I'.
  • Giving information which is already on the UCAS form (you don't need to list the subjects you are taking for 6th year).
  • Using long, pompous phrases: it just sounds pretentious!
  • Lying: you will in one way or another get caught out!
  • When writing about your work experience write what you gained from it; not just what you saw.
  • Using colloquial language.
Remember the personal statement is about you so avoid irrelevant things. Make it as personal as you can.

Useful ResourcesI hope that helps you. smile.gif

Please note that since I am in no way an expert on Personal Statements, the advice given above is opinion and is not fact.

#2 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:58 PM

Who are you kidding , u r an expert on everything! wink.gif
Thanks for the advice but I already did mine!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#3 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:29 PM

Very good advice!

#4 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:39 PM

these are actually very useful. Thanks ally!

#5 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:49 PM

all youve really got to do is tell everyone all wonderful you are

It worked for me laugh.gif

#6 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:31 PM

the biggest problem I am finding is cutting down on characters dry.gif

#7 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

Do you think you should try to appeal to the admission tutor's sympathy (if you have genuine circumstances/background). Or let them know atleast, to sort of "put your efforts into perspective."

#8 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Sep 20 2005, 07:33 PM)
Do you think you should try to appeal to the admission tutor's sympathy (if you have genuine circumstances/background). Or let them know atleast, to sort of "put your efforts into perspective."

View Post

Perhaps you could ask for any things like that to go in your reference.

Some universities have special schemes you can apply through. For example Cambridge has the "Special Access Scheme" where people who are from "non-traditional backgrounds" or who have special circumstances can make these things known and perhaps receive a lower offer.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#9 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:26 PM

Ah yes.. I'm thinking of applying through the Special Access scheme. My second choice is Imperial though lol. And Imperial has possibly the toughest degree in the UK. Anyway... I guess I'll just mention it to sort of give a frame of reference.

#10 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:54 PM

had the best line ever in my reference.

"He is confident enough about himself to engage in banter and conversation with staff on any topic."

laugh.gif come on. banter!! pure genius

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

Haha, nice one! biggrin.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#12 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping <3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

Here are a few sites i found to do with writing a personal study
Sorry if they have already been mentioned !!

Personal Statement

Personal Statement 2

The 2nd one is the best i think

Hope they can be of some help to someone !!

*~* Pam xxx *~*
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#13 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

Ok, its back to the old stuff for me.... and by that I mean that I'm free to help with personal statements. If you wish me to review a personal statement you have already written feel free to email me. If you need advice on personal statements then please PM me.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users