Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Microsoft Word - HSN forum

Microsoft Word

15 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:23 PM

Right I had to re-install my Windows a couple of weeks ago and now I need microsoft word to look at those Reports on the subjects.

Does anyone know what CD it should be on or where I could download it?

#2 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:38 PM

a) No, I don't know, but you could likely get it on one of those file sharing programs if you want to risk getting it illegally. Aside from that you could pay for it.

b) You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the PA reports. If you can use Word, then it's news to me, and I'd consider it because Acrobat Reader eats my memory and takes an exponential time to load.

#3 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:53 PM

You can buy Microsoft Office from places like PC World but it's bloody expensive. My wee brother wants the Mac version and it's, like, £80 or something like that.

Have you tried asking round your mates and see if any of them have the disk? Just borrow it. We get it from my uncle who was daft enough to go out and buy the thing. tongue.gif

#4 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:28 PM

Its such a struggle trying to do an essay on Word Pad. Bahhh

#5 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:14 PM

Hello,

Have you considered OpenOffice.org?

It's a free integrated package with most of the features of word, excel etc. It's really good and doesn't take too long to download if you have a broadband connection.

You can buy Microsoft Office from places like PC World but it's bloody expensive. My wee brother wants the Mac version and it's, like, £80 or something like that.

Lindsay, may I recommend AppleWorks for your brother? Granted, it's not as advanced as Microsoft Office, but it's a fantastic integrated package (which means you get word processor, spreadsheet, database etc... all in one package). It's only £65 and it's 100% worth the money. I have been using it for 2 years, and so far, it can do everything I've requested of it. I don't think I can recommend it enough!

Also, please note that OpenOffice is also available for Mac, however you need to be running Mac OS X.

#6 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:42 AM

What about £120 in WHSmith for the Student & Teacher Edition of Office 2003 - Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint?

You get a free Lexmark printer as well.
user posted image
user posted image

#7 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Oct 3 2004, 08:14 PM)

Lindsay, may I recommend AppleWorks for your brother?  Granted, it's not as advanced as Microsoft Office, but it's a fantastic integrated package (which means you get word processor, spreadsheet, database etc... all in one package).  It's only £65 and it's 100% worth the money.  I have been using it for 2 years, and so far, it can do everything I've requested of it.  I don't think I can recommend it enough! 

Also, please note that OpenOffice is also available for Mac, however you need to be running Mac OS X.

View Post

He already has AppleWorks, he prefers Word. No idea why, AppleWorks is great for things like Spreadsheets and databases, but he wants Word.

I think he's just bored now that he's saved up for the Super Computer and has nothing else to save for myself. tongue.gif

#8 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

why does he prefer it because of schools that line Mr Gates' pockets but actually office and filemaker, which was part of Claris that started making Works, is the ultimate package for Mac. Yet fearfactor is correct you don't really need the power of office for home use but exams i feel in admin tend to be written for the student using office.

You should understand of course that as a budding programmer myself i am totally against illegal copying of software that leds to inflated prices and bankrupt software houses but i sure i can make an exception with microsoft even if they does give millions of dollars to AIDS charities.

ie someone on the planet that you know must already have it on disk like how did you get it in the first place

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#9 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 4 2004, 05:04 PM)
even if they does give millions of dollars to AIDS charities.

View Post

Don't forget the swanky new Computer Science facilities Mr Gates paid for at Cambridge.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#10 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:47 PM

I hate Microsoft.

They steal other people's ideas:

I think it was Apple that was one of the major companies to offer an online music store? What has Microsoft recently anounced?

Microsoft has been copying the Macintosh OS for decades. The Macintosh OS is much more advanced that Windows and yet Windows is the more popular choice?

Microsoft are in no way innovative.

Yes - I'm an Apple fan.

But he saved the best for last. In a ground breaking decision, Jobs announced an alliance with Microsoft. In exchange for $150 million in Apple Stock, Microsoft and Apple would have a 5-year patent cross-license and, more importantly, a final settlement in the ongoing GUI argument. Microsoft agreed to pay an unreleased sum of additional funds to quiet the allegations that it had stolen Apple's intellectual property in designing its Windows OS. Microsoft also announced that Office '98, its popular office package, would be available for the Mac by years end.

Apple has become dramatically more successful over the last 6 years. It's released the iTunes music store - a great success, along with the iPod, which it's sales have been phenominal. Also, in the last 6 years, has released three major revisions of the iMac. It's also created a superior Operating System in comparison to Windows. It is built on Unix, which again is very popular. Oh, and this new Operating System has had 4 major releases (10.0, 10.1, 10.2 (Jaguar) and 10.3 Panther).

They have also anounced:
  • The PowerMac G5 - at the time, the worlds fastest computer.
  • iPod Mini, available in 5 different colours
  • New software, i.e. Final Cut Pro, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, etc..

Lol, I could go on and on, but I'm just trying to say that Apple has done a lot for itself in the last 6 years.

What has Microsoft done? Released a new version of office and an OS - whoppiedoo.

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:56 PM

not to forget the super cool G5 imac that just I saw a picture of last week as i totally agree with you except for a few things

The iTunes music shop has a slight down side - they download as MP4 tracks that cannot be ripped so can only work on computers and the iPod not any other portable Mp3 player

now to slightly swallow my pride, Windows has done a majorly good things for the industry in when the open aritechture came out for Pc's they made dure the operating system used was his operating system and that has more or less stayed ever since so now Joe Bloggs can set up a software house and produce software for a large number of people. this would never have been possible if each manufacter used different operating systems

However, the tactics used by the company are very aggressive and wholely unfair but there you go

#12 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

why does he prefer it because of schools that line Mr Gates' pockets but actually office and filemaker, which was part of Claris that started making Works, is the ultimate package for Mac.

Can't be that reason as all the computers in our school are imacs or emacs just about!

Apple were just about gone when they decided to launch the imac and what a decision that was! It brought them back, and really they are starting to be more of a rival to Microsoft. Apple now has more powerful software than ever before, and it's success in developing the worlds fastest computer is very impressive, something Intel haven't yet matched!

I like Apple, but I still use Windows at home huh.gif
Mark

#13 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:22 PM

I'm no Apple fan, but Microsoft do steal ideas:

a) Graphical User Interface/WIMP - originally made by Xerox by accident. Microsoft didn't come up with it themselves...
b) DOS - Made by a private programmer who let them use it for free...then make mega-bucks.
c) Wireless joystick (the X-Box...) They decided to work on one as soon as Nintendo brought theirs out for the Gamecube.
d) Internet Explorer was a rip-off of Netscape. IE is superior, however.

I'm sure there are loads more, but these are the only ones that come to mind right now.

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE(Infinite_Dreams @ Oct 4 2004, 09:22 PM)

View Post

Do you know if Mozilla Firefox is any good by the way? Is it much better than Internet Explorer?

#15 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 07 October 2004 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Oct 7 2004, 12:06 AM)
QUOTE(Infinite_Dreams @ Oct 4 2004, 09:22 PM)

View Post

Do you know if Mozilla Firefox is any good by the way? Is it much better than Internet Explorer?

View Post

It may not be as "feature rich" (cough M$ style euphimism cough), but it is STANDARDS COMPLIANT, ie it will work with all webpages that are coded correctly.

IE may allow more but its very functionality means that it flies in the face of many standards, creating a headache for webdevelopers.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:02 PM

actually i thought we were all agreed that IE was not even close to netscape its just that we all have no option but to use it if its free

How can you not like mac's i mean i do programming and when you start using the operating system directly in your programs its very complex and i sometimes get the feeling Windows was never fully designed before they started coded, leaving a bitty rubbishy mess! mad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users