Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
NAB - Unit 1 - HSN forum

NAB - Unit 1

25 replies to this topic

#1 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:29 PM

Has anyone had their unit 1 NAB yet? If so how did u find it and what are the main topics which have to be learned for it?

#2 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:37 AM

I am doing my NAB the week after the October break.

#3 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:48 AM

I did chemistry last year and got 25/30 for my unit 1 NAB. It was ok but I felt really bad on the day which made it seem more difficult than it actually was at the time. The hardest questions are the calculations because they often take a while to sink in as to what you're actually doing.

#4 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:39 PM

Try the practice one on the Scholar as it is an IDENTICAL format to the NAB you will sit. Generally if you do a good bit of studying for them, and a few sample questions their fairly ok.
Mark

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:18 PM

The Unit 1 NAB as far as I can remember covers loads so yes do try and do the one on scholar but revise everything, I got 28/30 in my Unit 1 NAB last year so dont worry its not too hard it just seems like that at the time
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#6 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:29 PM

Lol I only got 21/30 so im a bit worried now! Never studied the unit in depth so made a few theory errors but hopefully its sumthing i can sort out.
My problem is the calculations I just cannot apply myself and basically have no idea whatsoever about how to go about them...can anyone recommend a good revision/step by step guide to solving chemical calculations?
It would be much appreciated,
natalie xx

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:34 PM

i don't know all i remember is that chemistry problems are very easy in that they all follow a set pattern of perhaps an initial problem then proportion to get your answer at least thats the way i did them

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:57 PM

Well what I noticed, while doing ancient past papers as part of my revision for the final exam, was that all the NAB questions had came from them! cool.gif

So try and get your hands on them - it will be a bit difficult though!

QUOTE(natalie1062 @ Oct 11 2004, 08:29 PM)
My problem is the calculations I just cannot apply myself and basically have no idea whatsoever about how to go about them...can anyone recommend a good revision/step by step guide to solving chemical calculations?
It would be much appreciated,
                                             natalie xx

View Post

Hi I've posted some stuff on the thread entitled Higher Chemistry Equations. All the equations you need for Higher are there, I believe. If you know of any others please post them on there. I've also went through a few examples on there.

I tend to work with Equations better than the proportion rule, but find your best way of doing them and stick to it! smile.gif

If you would like to post any questions you need working out, I'll be happy to provide you with a step by step solution to the question. cool.gif

#9 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:53 PM

If you want to practice for any A/B level tests, check out This File

It has questions of that standard, and it is likely that your A/B tests may contain questions out of this file. Our Unit 2 and 3 A/B tests were taken almost whole from that file.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#10 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:55 PM

we've still not even been given a date for our unit 1 nab

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 16 October 2004 - 04:25 PM

My class is having it on October 26th - but it's October 28th for me as I'm going to the Edinburgh Visit Day on the 26th.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#12 kirsty1988

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Relationships<br />Friendships<br />Food<br />XBOX!<br />Dancing my own way

Posted 23 October 2004 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(natalie1062 @ Oct 2 2004, 03:29 PM)
Has anyone had their unit 1 NAB yet?  If so how did u find it and what are the main topics which have to be learned for it?

View Post

Mine is this Tuesday, but i'm not too sure how I'm gunu do. Good luck everyone!
Kirsty Worsty

#13 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:05 PM

Hey everyone don't worry about it. Just make sure you know everything in the unit and you will be fine.

NABs aren't things to make a big deal about, they are really quite simple - they are at "C" level therefore most people get fairly high marks in them. At the end of the day you only need 18/30 to pass so even if you don't score highly it isn't the end of the world.

Most people in my class got around at least 26/27 with many scoring higher, so don't worry about it. You should do fine (if you do some preparation work).
user posted image

#14 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:57 PM

Can anyone tell me anywhare to see a trial NAB except from Scholar because my school lost my password.

Or could someone post one here.

Thanks.

#15 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 04:02 PM

lol.

I don't think that would be possible; posting a NAB on here.

Unless if it was decided that a practice one should be made...

#16 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:32 PM

In your NAB your first question will have a box with around 8 words in it. There will be 4 sentences with gaps. Use the words in the box to fill in the gaps.
Next you will have some multichoice questions relating to the unit. These are fairly easy and if you look at past papers you will find some of the NAB quesions in them.
Finally you will have a number of extended response questions/calculations to do.
user posted image

#17 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:18 PM

I can't find any past papers in shops I don't think they have been released yet.

#18 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:09 PM

They have been released and have been for a month I think.

Try WHSmiths, Waterstones etc..

#19 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:12 PM

No you won't find NAB practice papers but you will find Chemistry previous exams.Where abouts have you been trying?I'm redoin chemistry this year (arg...I missed passing by a smidgen!) and I still have to redo the NABs (I've passed them too),grr arg.We're nowhere near doing our NAB,we're still on elevation of melting and boiling points.Dunno when we're sitting ours....we had a loooooooooooong discussion about it today.

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#20 Wee_Stephi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Goin out with mates havin a laugh; chilling; goin shoppin; seeing the bf when av got one hehe :P; getting drunk (A)

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:28 PM

Ive got my unit one nab a week on friday, we are doing a practice nab on monday and going over it on wednesday before we do the real one. Ppl who have already sat theres now how did u find it ?

user posted image

x-stephi-x@hotmail.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users