Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Course Notes - HSN forum

Course Notes

27 replies to this topic

#1 andy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:30 PM

Hey, dose anyone know if there are any course notes being published for Adv. Maths? Last year I bought the Leckie and Leckie ones for Higher and they really helped smile.gif Or dose anyone have a book that they would recommend?

Cheers
Andy

#2 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:49 PM

Leckie and Leckie have recently released Adv. Higher Mathematics past papers. Obviously these aren't course notes, but they should help with revision!

Hope this Helps.

#3 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Sep 27 2004, 07:49 PM)
Leckie and Leckie have recently released Adv. Higher Mathematics past papers.  Obviously these aren't course notes, but they should help with revision!

Hope this Helps.

View Post

leave the notes....use the ones u get off ur teacher

wot u really have to focus on is exam papers, that is wat will get u a good pass..no joke!

Shandogg

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#4 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:56 PM

I don't know of any notes published specifically for AH maths, probably due to the relatively low uptake.

We have some very basic revision notes covering the main points, but the document is still in production. I would expect that it will be available well before the exams, but it depends entirely on how much free time we have.

As Shandogg says, the past papers will be really important in your preparation for the exam. Before then, it's important to keep on top of the work and get as much practice as you can. Hopefully by the time of the exam, all the most common methods will be second nature.

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:21 PM

Well yeh but some of us only get jotter notes which are really vague and only learn through practice. While practice is very important I would also like some sort of notes. Yes scholar is good but some more simple more condensed revision notes and particularly one condensed wall chart with formulas like the quotient and product formula etc, ones that arent easily worked out by applying higher knowledge. That sort of stuff. Just some revision notes would be great.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#6 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:21 PM

I always found that for maths, doing examples is the best way to learn the stuff! Notes are useful, but you always write a note at the start of a new topic and a few examples, I find that is enough.

Past papers are the best way to revise, for just about any subject at any level!

The whole wall-chart thing has never really grew on me, because once doing a good few examples who tend to know all the formulae. Maybe that is just me tho - revision is a matter of personal taste.

However if notes are in production, then I ain't saying they wouldn't be appreciated.

Edited by sparky, 28 September 2004 - 08:23 PM.

Mark

#7 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:06 PM

I don't know if any of your teachers do this, but my Adv. H Maths teacher puts a chunk of theory on the board from the top of his head. We copy this in to our theory books and he also does a few examples with it. I feel it's really good, the theory isn't too technical like you might find at Scholar so, its easy to take in. The examples he does usually start off with a really easy one, then a really hard one, then we do the exercises in the book.

Unfortunately, if your teacher doesn't do this, you have to rely on other resources, such as books, which can often be too technical.

I got my copy of the Adv. H Past Papers today - very dissapointed - it only has 12 pages!!!

#8 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:17 PM

My teacher has a big folder thing full of notes that she has made up and uses year after year. They are put into hte easiest form possible and, in my opinion, are excellent notes. She then gives us examples, easy to hard, then lets us do examples from both our TeeJay books and textbooks. I'm so pleased i've got her she is an excellent teacher.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#9 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:50 PM

I got my copy of the Adv. H Past Papers today - very dissapointed - it only has 12 pages!!!

Hmmm...I don't think I'll buy them this year if I can avoid it. Since theres not been any book published previously, then I think my maths department will just hand them out to everyone. (Probably won't : and he'll get us to order them!) lol

Seems a bit too early with AH Maths for past papers. Although we have been given a few questions from them, to show us that they are not all A/B Q's.
Mark

#10 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(sparky @ Sep 29 2004, 07:50 PM)
Since theres not been any book published previously, .....

View Post

Your wrong here! There has been one book produced for AH Maths, "Advanced Higher Maths Pratice Papers" author Peter Westwood, Publisher Hodder Gibson

This book is really really good....although it is really difficult...u get used to the harder ones, so by the time your exam comes, its relatively easy! it has

2 Practice Unit Tests for each unit

2 Prelims containing units 1 and 2

6 Practice exam papers in the new format, not like before when it was unit 1 and 2 in first paper and unit 3 in second paper

Solutions and answers to the most of the papers, but not all as the ones they choose demonstrate the techniques needed in others

Question Frequency Chart, to show u how often types of questions appear and also where to find them in the book

3 pages of AH Maths Formulae (one of the best parts of the book!)

I RECOMMEND BUYING IT ! It worked wonders for me!!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:43 PM

Your wrong here! There has been one book produced for AH Maths, "Advanced Higher Maths Pratice Papers" author Peter Westwood, Publisher Hodder Gibson

Oops, my vague-ness has got me in trouble again. I meant this was the first year in which a past papers book has been put together on AH maths by leckie and leckie.
Mark

#12 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(sparky @ Sep 30 2004, 05:43 PM)

Oops, my vague-ness has got me in trouble again. I meant this was the first year in which a past papers book has been put together on AH maths by leckie and leckie.

View Post

k, I see!

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#13 andy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:43 PM

There has been one book produced for AH Maths, "Advanced Higher Maths Pratice Papers" author Peter Westwood, Publisher Hodder Gibson

I just bought that book, looks pretty good smile.gif

#14 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:06 PM

Hey, I'm the new guy. I live in the glasgow area, anyway, I'm doing adv. maths and I've been writing my own notes as we've been going through it. It's worked out quite well since it's a mini-revision while I write them out but I think he's giving us a summary of the whole course in a small book which is good smile.gif

#15 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:05 PM

hey, i live in glasgow 2! wherebouts u from? wot skool u go 2?

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#16 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:43 AM

I have the past paper book by Leckie and Leckie but it's only about 10 pages long. Where did you get the other one?

#17 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(Infinite_Dreams @ Oct 14 2004, 11:43 AM)
I have the past paper book by Leckie and Leckie but it's only about 10 pages long. Where did you get the other one?

View Post

whsmith online
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#18 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:34 PM

Is this the book Shanndogg?

I'm not sure since I haven't bought it.

#19 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:18 PM

I don't actually live right in Glasgow, i just said that to keep what I was saying short. I live in a crummy place known as Clydebank, and go to clydebank high school.

#20 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:28 PM

I have that Holder and Gibson Book
I've had it for ages!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users