Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help! Can anyone help me with analysis of the poem Sounds of the Day by Norman MacCaig? - HSN forum

Help! Can anyone help me with analysis of the poem Sounds of the Day by Norman MacCaig?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Sinea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

I'm really quite stuck and the exam's tomorrow! Please help me!

#2 Pod~Tastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Sinea @ May 14 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm really quite stuck and the exam's tomorrow! Please help me!

i don't know the poem as we haven't studied that but i found a website with a checklist think for analysing poems cause it gets me so confused lol the basis was:

title appropriate to subject, tone and genre? Does it generate interest, and hint at what your poem's about?

subject what's the basic situation? Who is talking, and under what circumstances? Try writing a paraphrase to identify any gaps or confusions.

shape what are you appealing to: intellect or emotions of the reader? What structure(s) have you used progressions, comparisons, analogies, bald assertions, etc.? Are these aspects satisfyingly integrated? Does structure support content?

tone what's your attitude to the subject? Is it appropriate to content and audience: assured, flexible, sensitive, etc.?

word choice appropriate and uncontrived, economical, varied and energizing? Do you understand each word properly, its common uses and associations? See if listing the verbs truly pushes the poem along. Are words repeated? Do they set mood, emotional rapport, distance?

personification striking but persuasive, adds to unity and power?

metaphor and simile fresh and convincing, combining on many levels?

rhythm and metre natural, inevitable, integrate poem's structure?

rhyme fresh, pleasurable, unassuming but supportive?

overall impression original, honest, coherent, expressive, significant?

don't know if that helped hope so smile.gif good luck tomorrow biggrin.gif
.. follow your instincts, that's where true wisdom manifests itself

#3 Sinea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

Thanks, I'm sure that'll help! biggrin.gif

Thank you! smile.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users