Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Unit 1 Test - HSN forum

Unit 1 Test

27 replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:30 PM

Hi,

We have just finished unit 1 and we are getting our unit 1 test in two weeks. I feel as though we have done the unit quite quickly, and with only having 3 taught periods a week, I feel that there are a lot of things I havn't picked up/don't understand fully. I just wondered if anyone had done the 'NAB' or also felt that they didn't understand things completely. unsure.gif

#2 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 17 2004, 03:30 PM)
Hi,

We have just finished unit 1 and we are getting our unit 1 test in two weeks. I feel as though we have done the unit quite quickly, and with only having 3 taught periods a week, I feel that there are a lot of things I havn't picked up/don't understand fully. I just wondered if anyone had done the 'NAB' or also felt that they didn't understand things completely.  unsure.gif

View Post

i did the nab and got 20 wink.gif

#3 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:34 PM

20 out of what?

#4 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:05 PM

I've got my nab soon too and I have nae clue what's going on, some serious studying is in order methinks.

The NAB is out of 20 but you only need 10 to pass.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#5 Douglas

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:59 PM

Got mine on Tuesday and we only get two periods teaching a week so i've got so much still to remember. Any last minute tips for revision? Do you have access to scholar and if you do what do you think of it?

#6 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:16 PM

I'm doing my end of unit one test on Friday!

#7 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 17 2004, 03:34 PM)
20 out of what?

View Post

20/20

#8 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(Douglas @ Sep 26 2004, 03:59 PM)
Got mine on Tuesday and we only get two periods teaching a week so i've got so much still to remember. Any last minute tips for revision? Do you have access to scholar and if you do what do you think of it?

View Post

Yes, I've got access to scholar and I think it's very good. Some of the online animations and interactive activities really help you to understand some things that aren't explained so well in the text. We use the scholar books as practically our only class 'textbook', so most of the information on the scholar website is pretty much the same. It's really useful to have the practice end of unit tests etc. though.
What do you think of it?

QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Sep 26 2004, 06:16 PM)
I'm doing my end of unit one test on Friday!

View Post

I've got mine on Friday as well sad.gif There are still quite a lot of things I don't really understand. There is so much to remember!! I think that the jump from Higher to AH is huge!

Oh, and thanks for the info James1, but it really wasn't very helpful.

#9 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:33 PM

WHOOPS!!! I thought this forum was Higher, it's Advanced Higher!

#10 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:04 PM

Hey ppl,

I had my Unit 1 NAB today and it was surprisingly really easy. You'll probably do the same one, so here are some hints on what to revise:
  • structures of the p & d orbitals
  • naming complexes (e.g hexaamminechromium(III) ion) wink.gif
  • dative bonds
  • names of shapes of molecules (e.g, trigonal planar, tetrahedral etc)
  • all the equations - remember when it ask for the answer in KJ/J mol -power1.gif to include L (Avogrado's Constant = 6.02*10 power2.gif power3.gif).
  • graphs of colour absorbance
These are just some of the ones I can remember right now; obviously you should revise the whole unit though.

#11 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(ally @ Sep 27 2004, 05:04 PM)
Hey ppl,

I had my Unit 1 NAB today and it was surprisingly really easy.  You'll probably do the same one, so here are some hints on what to revise:

• structures of the p & d orbitals

• naming complexes (e.g hexaamminechromium(III) ion)  wink.gif

• dative bonds

• names of shapes of molecules (e.g, trigonal planar, tetrahedral etc)

• all the equations - remember when it ask for the answer in KJ/J mol -power1.gif to include L (Avogrado's Constant = 6.02*10 power2.gif power3.gif).

• graphs of colour absorbance
These are just some of the ones I can remember right now; obviously you should revise the whole unit though.

View Post

OMG I can't name complexes to save myself!!
Do you have to be able to draw representations of p and d orbitals?
Can anyone give me any tips on naming complexes, other than the IUPAC rules in the scholar book, coz i find them quite confusing! Thanx smile.gif smile.gif

Laura

#12 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 28 2004, 10:30 AM)
OMG I can't name complexes to save myself!!

View Post

It shouldn't be too hard (*hexaamminechromium(III) ion*) wink.gif

QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 28 2004, 10:30 AM)
Do you have to be able to draw representations of p and d orbitals?

View Post

Nope just remember the shape of the dz2 orbital (bottom right) out of the d orbitals:

user posted image

Hope that helps! smile.gif

#13 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

Thank you ally smile.gif

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 28 2004, 07:00 PM)
Thank you ally  smile.gif

View Post

No problem!

You should be fine though - the NAB was easier than the Higher NAB or so I thought anyway.

#15 Audrey

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(james1 @ Sep 17 2004, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 17 2004, 03:30 PM)
Hi,

We have just finished unit 1 and we are getting our unit 1 test in two weeks. I feel as though we have done the unit quite quickly, and with only having 3 taught periods a week, I feel that there are a lot of things I havn't picked up/don't understand fully. I just wondered if anyone had done the 'NAB' or also felt that they didn't understand things completely.  unsure.gif

View Post

i did the nab and got 20 wink.gif

View Post

I also got 20 and I understood the majority of it. We get 2 taught periods a week which meant I spent most of my free periods studying for hours upon hours. Such is the burden of being a genius *cough* I was vvvvvv shocked

#16 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:15 PM

Yay!! I did my Nab and it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be!! Thank you to the people who offered their help biggrin.gif It was much appreciated

#17 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:32 PM

Is my school the only one that does unit 1 last and runs units 2 and 3 simultaneously from the start of term?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#18 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Oct 7 2004, 10:32 PM)
Is my school the only one that does unit 1 last and runs units 2 and 3 simultaneously from the start of term?

View Post

Errrr, well I would say probably yes, as that is kinda weird

#19 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Oct 7 2004, 11:32 PM)

View Post

Probably, we are doing Unit 2 at the moment.

How is Unit 3 in comparison to Unit 2?

#20 Gavie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:57 PM

Alrite

We started our AH Chem course about a week or so before the summer hols, and we get four (I think, I aint memorised my timetable unsure.gif lol) periods a week. We still haven't done our Unit 1 test yet, or even been given a date for it, are we a reeeeeally slow class...? We're on the Oxides, Chloride and Hydrides bitty just now, hope we're not like the "remedial" AH class lol. So anyway, glad to hear it's a easy NAB, well supposedly easy dry.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users