Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
UCAS POINTS - REALLY CONFUSED - HSN forum

UCAS POINTS - REALLY CONFUSED

3 replies to this topic

#1 apestillrules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

How does this system work?

I'm currently in Dundee in S5. And I dont get how this system works.

For example.

IF I get at Higher Level: 5 A's which adds to 360 points. (maths, english, computing, physics, business)

Then if I go onto S6 and take Advanced Higher Maths, Advanced Higher Computing, and Higher Classical Studies (Crash)
and get an A in each of them which adds up to 312 points.

Now how much UCAS points do i have at the end of the school year?

Q1) Do they count Higher Maths and Advanced Higher Maths together? Or do they only count Advanced Higher?
Q2) If they only count Advanced Higher Maths, Advanced Higher Computing, do they still add the HIGHERS like Business, physics, english (from S5) and the classical studies higher (from S6)?

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

1. They only count Advanced Higher.
2. Yes.

You would have 456 UCAS points from those courses at Grade 'A' while you get additional points for core units. I wouldn't worry about the UCAS points total so much, better to look at the entry requirements of specific university courses you are interested in.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

the points system is there to have a cross border system of equivalence in higher or further education. It allows universities in england wales and ireland look at what you have achieved and decide on an offer to give you. IF your not wanting to go to a non scottish uni then its not really important.

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 apestillrules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guys. I'm applying for a university in Scotland so I suppose it doesn't matter.

I'm needing to go for LAW so I'll ask around for the entry requirements.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users