Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Mistake in Official SQA Marking Scheme - HSN forum

Mistake in Official SQA Marking Scheme

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:54 PM

The SQA have made a MISTAKE in their marking schemes for the Higher 2004 Chemistry exam

For Q2. (b)(i) The answer should be 1.5*10 power2.gifpower3.gif atoms and not 1.5*10 power2.gifpower2.gif atoms.

Am I right in saying that this marking scheme is the exact same one that was sent out to markers when they were marking the papers?

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

A direct link can be found on this thread: 2004 Official Answers Published

EDIT: My 500th post. Woohoo! biggrin.gif

Edited by ally, 14 September 2004 - 12:54 PM.

#2 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:37 PM

WOW you are right. I can't remember what the question in the paper was, but based on the working in the answers the answer should be, as you say, 1.5*10^23.

I don't know whether they have made a mistake in the question or the answer here but if this is the exact document provided for markers then think of the reporcussions.

Surely though experienced chemistry markers would spot that right away... blink.gif

I think we should contact the SQA about this.. I will ask my chemistry teacher about that tomorrow...
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#3 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Sep 13 2004, 10:37 PM)
WOW you are right. I can't remember what the question in the paper was, but based on the working in the answers the answer should be, as you say, 1.5*10^23.

I don't know whether they have made a mistake in the question or the answer here but if this is the exact document provided for markers then think of the reporcussions.

View Post

Look at the bottom half of Infinite Dreams post. It might jog your memory back to it a bit.

#4 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Sep 13 2004, 10:33 PM)

View Post

Look at the bottom half of Infinite Dreams post. It might jog your memory back to it a bit.

View Post

always happy to help:)

#5 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 09:41 PM

I think we should contact the SQA about this.

View Post

Yeah I've emailed them about it. Not sure if I'll get a reply though. tongue.gif

#6 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:33 PM

Got a pretty quick response from them:

Thank you for comment. the error was corrected at the markers meeting but has not made it through to this typed version. I will arrange for the correction to made ASAP.
best regards, Mary

That clears that up then.

Still though, they had quite a long time (about 2.5 months) to correct it on the typed version.

#7 chelle26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

it is common for the SQA to make mistakes in papers, they made the same error 3 years in a row for my college course and published the wrong answers. I am actually worried about receiving my results since they done the same for my exam as well. My college lecturers did get to read the paper before we done the exam and circled the questions that were wrongly worded and the parts where they had the information mixed up for the psychology section so i hope they take notice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users