Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Differentiation Question - HSN forum

Differentiation Question

5 replies to this topic

#1 SockRock16

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

The Diagram shows the graph of y = (2 - x)(x + 3).

a) Find the Gradient of the tangent at (-1, 6).

So thats the Q and I have the answers here but Im not sure how they managed to get each step of the working.

Answer;
a) y = (2 - x)(x + 3) = 6 - x - x

dy/dx = -1 - 2x
When x = -1 dy/dx = -1 - 2 X(-1)
dy/dx = 1

It's mainly the first line of the answer that confuses me. I'm not really sure where it's coming from!
I couldn't upload the diagram of the graph but hopefullt you can tell me without it?
I hope someone can help to make this a little bit clearer, Thanks!

#2 Marcus

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Guitar - Passed my grade 6 :D :D<br />Write computer programs - won Heriot-Watt programming challenge 2006 and 2007 :D<br />

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

Right, well to find the gradient of the tangent you need to differentiate y=(2-x)(x+3), however you can't differentiate that (at least at higher) in its current form so you have to multiply out the brackets

y=(2-x)(x+3)
y=2x+6-x-3x //which simlifies to
y=6-x-x
now you can differentiate that so
dy/dx=-1-2x

to find gradient substitute x=-1 into dy/dx
so dy/dx=-1 - 2(-1) = 2-1 = 1

Hope this helps biggrin.gif please feel free to ask about anything you still don't understand biggrin.gif
=-=-=Marcus=-=-=

#3 SockRock16

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

That helps a lot now, thanks.
I understand things now but it's most likely that i'll come back with another Question sooner or later! :L
But thanks again!

#4 ItsBoabyTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

weird...lotta ppl r stuck on differentiation which i think isnt TOO bad. also in ur question u have to factorise whicn should leave u with something like x2 + 3x -1 etc then u shood be able to sovle ur problem easily laugh.gif

#5 ItsBoabyTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

also why am i a newbie ....thats lame

#6 SockRock16

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:54 PM

Thats Great help again! Thanks..
And I understand about the Differentiation thing. My math class has a new teacher and he doesn't explain things to good.... ohmy.gif laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users