Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Odd request - but please say what you think - HSN forum

Odd request - but please say what you think

1 reply to this topic

#1 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

Cutting a very long story short, im amidst a huge project at the moment involving the now largely abandoned victorian "lunatic asylums" across Scotland.

All Im looking for here, is just to write down a short phrase or something that sums up what you imagine these places to be / have been. Im just looking for a general picture of what the general publics knowledge or perceptions of these old mental hospitals are.

("lunatic asylum" was the name given to old mental hospitals before the NHS took over in the 40's).

the main bulk of asylum history in scotland is between 1780's when the first one was built in Montrose - to the 1990's, when almost all old asylums were closed down. Only a small hand-full remain in operation today

thanks

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:42 PM

run down, nasty places with inadequate treatment for those with mental health issues, i imagine
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users