Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Punishment excersises - HSN forum

Punishment excersises

10 replies to this topic

#1 Garry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 06:28 PM

Hi i am a parent who has a son that is forever getting punishment lines and wanted to know your views on this :-

. I was told that: 1) Writing should never be used as punishment because that makes kids hate writing; 2) Lines, in particular, cannot be given because they cause physical stress on finger and wrist muscles and are therefore considered corporal punishment;

does anyone know if the above facts are true? as i want to take the school or teacher to town over this rolleyes.gif

#2 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:23 PM

Well I don't know if there is any "official" ruling on this, certainly I have never heard of it.

I don't see how it can do any harm myself...I suppose it depends if you think he's being harshly treated in getting a punishment exercise to do.
Would you favour an alternative form of punishment to this then? I am sure your school could arrange detention etc. Or instead of lines, simply ask for extra work to help him with his studies ??

Hope that helps

Mark

#3 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

Ok both points are untrue.I presume ur kid is being punish for a reason, if they have done something wrong they should (and can by law) be punished, providing no force or mentally damaging punishment is used. If not the only way to take the school to town, so to speak, is if u believe ur child is being victimised, harrassed or discriminated against in any other way.

1. Writing can be used as a punishment as it doesnt make the kid hate writing, it makes them hate the teacher or repetitiveness biut it doesnt make them hate writing
2. Wrong, what u are describing here is repetitive strain injury, its a common ailment people who write a lot or type a lot or look at computer screens have (can also affect the eyes), it most certainly isnt a corporal punishment, rather a consquence of actions, you have no case here except if the lines are viewed as excessive.

May I ask how many lines ur child recieves in 1 go and what age ur child is?
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:30 PM

Yeah you should ask your son's school for an alternative punishment method.

I also agree with sparky - I don't think it does harm you. In an English exam your fingers would be under much greater physical stress.

Does that mean doing an English exam is corporal punishment? Actually it is. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif (joke)

#5 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:31 PM

Also - if you feel like sharing this with us - what were the lines given out for? i.e. what was the teacher's reasoning/justification for doing so?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#6 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

Your kid must have been punished for a particular reason....which is fair

As a parent, you must have the right to disagree with your kids punishment being lines.

I would recommend you talk to the school and ask them to punish your kid in another way, eg would you agree with detention after school for say 20 mins or mornin break spent doin maths questions???

I am sure u must be able to decide wot punishment you feel is rite for your kid...talk to the school bout it

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:58 PM

Hey lines are bad but thats why they use them for punishment, punishment isnt meant to be easy!
SUMMARY
Again cos so many people have wrote I'll sum up:
Ur points were both wrong (read my previous post)
However u can talk to the school about alternative punishments
Schools are allowed to give lines in their justification is fair (no discrimation present) and if the number of lines is not excessive

QUESTIONS
What age is ur child?
Why are the school always issueing lines?
How many lines are issued in 1 go?

N Hey dont doubt my previous post its a potential law student talking here!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#8 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Sep 13 2004, 07:58 PM)
Schools are allowed to give lines in their justification is fair (no discrimation present) and if the number of lines is not excessive

View Post

Hey Louise!

I agree with wot u are sayin - Lines are used because they are annoying, and act as a deterant, but if the parents feel so strongly against their kid being punished with lines then surely they have the rite to talk to the school and arrange some other form of punishment

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#9 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:27 PM

i think as a parent you should be more interested in why your son has had so many exercises and you must back the school up and punish your son as well because in my opinion exercises are no great threat so they need a greater punishment from parents to make them work

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#10 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:48 PM

I remember last year, I got my first ever punishment exercise. We (I mean 20 lads) were sitting in the PE changing rooms shouting about Berti Vogts and whether he should stay or go. The PE teacher came in and asked us why we were not changed - this was about 45 minutes into the period and everyone got a "puni".

The annoying thing was - I had my kit in my bag but had been to busy arguing about Berti Vogts...

#11 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:03 PM

Tell your son to stop p***ing about then and maybe he won't get lines. Sorry to say, but it's true. I've had two punishments since I went to high school and I can say I deserved them, as can my mum. I messed about in/out of class, I got the just rewards. Maybe you should adopt the same attitude, because your son is obviously disrupting lessons and wasting other people's education time by getting punishments issued. Supposing it takes your son's teacher 5 minutes to deal with your son, and there are 20 kids in the class. That's 20 x 5 = 100 minutes of teaching time wasted. Sometimes the punishments are wrongly/unfairly issued, however they are not wrongly or unfairly issued constantly.

Anyway, my opinions on your points:

1) I agree that it will make your son hate writing. If your son gets them often enough, he begins to associate writing with punishment, and thus will hate writing since punishment is a bad thing. However, it's your son's fault in the first place, and I don't think that there is enough writing of punishments done to make this association. Your son will do enough of other writing to reduce the strength of the punishment writing on your child's mind.

2) Yes it can hurt over time, but you have no case. That's like saying teachers can't shout at pupils because it causes the pupil mental distress. If the teacher feels the pupil is giving him/her hassle, he has a right to punish with shouting. It's the same thing with the lines, and maybe repeating "I must not..." should subconsciously drill whatever the kid must do into the mind and cause them not to do it again.

In short, you have no case, unless you feel that your child is being "bullied" by the teacher, in which case you should arrange a meeting of some sort to sort it out. I doubt that's true though, and sometimes you just need to accept that maybe it's your son's fault. Have a word with him and let him know that you're not putting up with the bad behaviour at school. The courts wouldn't care enough, and you'd need to have a word with the school first anyway to show you'd attempted to resolve the problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users