Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Physics Data Booklet - HSN forum

Physics Data Booklet

20 replies to this topic

#1 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 September 2004 - 04:36 PM

As some of you may be aware as of 2006 all physics candidates at all levels will have a data booklet with all the formulae in it available during the exam.

This booklet has now been published and is available by clicking here.

It should be of help for anyone revising for any of the physics courses whether or not they will actually have access to the book during the exam...
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#2 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Sep 13 2004, 05:36 PM)
As some of you may be aware as of 2006 all physics candidates at all levels will have a data booklet with all the formulae in it available during the exam.

It should be of help for anyone revising for any of the physics courses whether or not they will actually have access to the book during the exam...

View Post

OMG how easy is the exam going to get with this bookelet.
Cheers for this werlop, it wont be bad for advanced physics.
biggrin.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#3 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 05:18 PM

Hey Its even got a periodic table, how generous of them... cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#4 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:03 PM

View Post

That is so unfair! We had to sit n learn all them!!!! If ma sis does higher she will benefit from this! Grrr mad.gif

#5 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(superstar @ Sep 13 2004, 07:03 PM)

View Post

That is so unfair! We had to sit n learn all them!!!! If ma sis does higher she will benefit from this! Grrr mad.gif

View Post

It's not necessarily an advantage. With the formulae infront of candidates the SQA cannot possibly ask exactly the same style of questions. What my teacher was saying was that to a greater extent the theory of the course will be assessed, there will be a greater number of situations where candidates must derive an equation, problems will no longer be so simple - pupils may have to extend the formulae they already have inorder to solove a complex or abstract problem. In some ways the formulae will be an advantage. However, in other ways it will be a hinderance.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#6 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:05 PM

Nooooooooooo Way!

Its still goin to benefit students.....they wont have to spend time learnin the formula so they will be able to spend time learning the more difficult stuff

damn the SQA! Y wait until i finish the course!?!

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:06 PM

yes but learning the equations i always found easy (it least at higher level) but the harder part of physics has always been to explain why something happened or to find a value using a number of equations. This will now be more heavily tested than simple applications of knowm basic formula

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:48 PM

I agree with Dave and what a few others had to say. Really the equations were easy to learn, you dealt with them one day in class, done a few examples and you remembered them!

The exam, from what has been said previously, is not going to focus as much on the "formulae" but more on the theoretical side of physics - which is definately harder!!

But then with the course change, teachers will adapt to the new exam, so it'll probably not make too much of a difference.
Mark

#9 Kaiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

I tend to agree with the view that the equations were easy to learn, but no doubt a data booklet would make this even easier. This is not necessarily a good thing as it will not help you derive the equations, which really does help if your able to do so. This is perhaps more important at AH level where deriving a formula is crucial to understanding it.

#10 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 19 September 2004 - 04:46 PM

My teacher said that it wouldnt be that great. Instead of learning equations and knowing them off by heart, you would waste valuable time in the exam frantically searching for the right eqaution. Personally i didn't find it that difficult to learn all the equations.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#11 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:15 PM

I think it'll be more of a disadvantage really. Teachers complain that the stuff you do throughout the physics course is mostly just maths and is a bit uninteresting and repetitive. In the exam, you get a mark for writing a formula. It's easy to remember the formula, so even doing that's going to get you marks. It'll also be a hinderance when jumping levels, eg. S-grade to higher, because you'll more easily forget equations.

I think we'll see more of this:

1) Derivation of equations - This comes up currently about once every 10 years. You'll likely see them like every year or two.

2) Explanitory questions - Less maths, more explanation. You could likely pass the course with a B by simply learning the equations and using them at the moment. Now, you'll need to explain more.

3) Problem solving using an upper level - Much like chemistry where they put higher questions in Standard Grade papers, and Advanced Higher questions in Higher papers. They'll give you some explanation of something, tell you the page to get data, then you'll need to use the right formula.

4) Harder questions of own level - There'll be more 'A' grade questions in higher papers, for example.

5) Less marks available per mathematical based question - Self explanitory.

6) Less "prove that the xxxxx of the xxxxx is xx units" (eg. mass of the train is 1000 kg) - You're less likely to stumble upon these style of questions, which are at times God-sends because you know you've got the right answer and can give you confidence boosts, not just a few extra marks you know you've picked up.

7) More mathematics based questions in the multiple choice section - The multiple choice often has much harder questions where formulae are concerned. To balance out the number of hard theory questions they'll need to take some of the easier ones out of the multiple choice.

Basically I see a much harder, and more strictly marked paper.

#12 celticlinzi67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:53 PM

wont it be sort of annoying because they wont have any relevant past papers to work from?

#13 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:55 PM

maybe but if you think that your best bet is to work on Ps questions and making sure ou know all the facts esp the ones that could be made into trick questions you should be fine. I wonder how difficult they will make the paper in 2006

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(celticlinzi67 @ Feb 21 2005, 08:53 PM)
wont it be sort of annoying because they wont have any relevant past papers to work from?

View Post

They may make model papers. The past papers (2002-2003) for AH Maths have been altered to suit the current style of exam.

#15 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:54 PM

but this is really gonna cause a problem for any pupils who want to go on to study physics at uni. i get where they're coming from, because a physics exam really should be an applications exam, not a memory test. i, however, don't object to it at school level - it doesn't bother me because i've got through my standard grade & higher & got a 1 & an A (failed advanced higher right enough.....) so i'm indifferent to it. but i do object to it if this means that the arrangements are going to be altered at uni level aswell. just try passing a quantum physics or waves & optics exam without a formula list. its no easy task, if formula is given, it will be 10 times easier.
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:56 PM

i doubt anything will change at uni's because they have to protect their accreditations from industry...thats assuming everyone doesn't start failing

#17 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

Has there always been a data booklet for Chemistry, or was that brought in as well? If it was brought in, was there as much controversy over it as for this one, does anyone know?

Gavers

#18 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

Hmmm... with Chemistry I think there's always been the need for a data booklet because remembering details about the elements would be far too much to remember.

#19 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 21 2005, 11:56 PM)
i doubt anything will change at uni's because they have to protect their accreditations from industry...thats assuming everyone doesn't start failing

View Post

but i think people will start failing, because they won't have been used to having to learn formulae
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#20 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts