Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Logs - HSN forum

Logs

6 replies to this topic

#1 campbellk2

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Lots of things...including passing my Highers, with good grades!

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

Isn't it funny how much busier this site gets around exam times... tongue.gif

So, as for my last minute, panic-fuelled question.

When do you know when to use log to the base 10 and log to the base e?

I was working through the maths4scotland logs pp (a question where an exponential decay function intersects with a line to be exact) and I used log to the base e. However, they used log to the base 10 and so we had different answers.

So how can I tell when to use which, and is this a funndamental error, or would I have gained any marks for my otherwise correct method of working?

Any help on this matter would be great,
campbellk2

#2 Marcus

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Guitar - Passed my grade 6 :D :D<br />Write computer programs - won Heriot-Watt programming challenge 2006 and 2007 :D<br />

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

generally you use the base, that is most appropriate to the question, ie, if there is an e in the question you use to base e, etc. but otherwise it is up to you, so I don't think it would matter, (though i think any marker would be annoyed if you decided to use base 47.265...)

If you could post the question I may be able to give you a more specific answer.

Hope this helps
=-=-=Marcus=-=-=

#3 campbellk2

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Hi,

Here is a link to the question. http://www.maths4scotland.co.uk/Higher%20Powerpoint.htm

It is the logs powerpoint and the question is on slide number 27. Sorry that I couldn't just post the question, but I couldn't copy the slide.

Thanks for your help!

#4 Marcus

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Guitar - Passed my grade 6 :D :D<br />Write computer programs - won Heriot-Watt programming challenge 2006 and 2007 :D<br />

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

yeah the question there, would be a prime example of when it doesn't matter which base you use, and i doubt you would of lost marks for using e instead of 10, as it didn't specify...

You should have still got the same final answer though...3.402
=-=-=Marcus=-=-=

#5 campbellk2

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

Thanks,

I guess I must have went wrong somwhere...I'll try it again.

Thanks for clearing things up,
campbellk2

#6 Ron90

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

I need a couple of things cleared up:

is 10^x the inverse of log(base10)x ?

is e^x the inverse of ln?

Is log(baseE) the same as ln?

#7 campbellk2

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(Ron90 @ May 18 2008, 06:22 PM) View Post
I need a couple of things cleared up:

is 10^x the inverse of log(base10)x ?

is e^x the inverse of ln?

Is log(baseE) the same as ln?

Hi Ron,

That's a yes, yes and yes.

Hope it helps,
campbellk2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users