Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Prefect duties - HSN forum - Page 2

Prefect duties

51 replies to this topic

#21 NYPD

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(kitty @ Sep 14 2004, 10:15 PM)
also just a point to NYPD you sound like such a bore, yeah people should be doing there duties but it sounds like if they dont turn up once then you as head boy (which i feel i should point out is not like being head teacher as you seem to be coming accross) can take it away from them. and did you consult people about when they could do their duties or even let them choose it sounds like you are not being very fair as they may well have days which they should be doing duties when they cant !
also with your school having so many deprived areas dont you think about how you may be coming accross to them. in having a well known position dont you think you should be settting an example to these kids who may well be acting as they do because thats the only way they have ever known to act. these kids may look up to you and even if they are from a deprived area they could see these prefects and think they may try and become of that standard.

people should respect what they have and to overcome problem kids try to speak to them on their level and not act like you are so much better than them.

View Post

How very philosophical and hippyesque. I too have a 'few things to say':

A. I don't hunt down the prefect and torture them until they tell me why they weren't there. I simply enquire to see why they failed to turn up and if they have a valid reason then it's cool, but if they do not, I basically tell them it's not acceptable. The next time I have strong words and as a last resort I'd forward it to the prefect committee who would take it off them. The report is meant to be the first step so I'm actually being quite a nice 'bore.'

B. I am nice to the kids who are nice to me. Apologies for not minding my p's and q's when a ned is shouting abuse in my face. Sorry, but from experience I know that, 'excuse me, would you mind refraining from repeatedly forcing that boys head into a wall until he bleeds and loses consciousness' does not work. 'Hoy, what are you playing at?' does. Prefects are there to provide a physical presence of respectability and security for younger pupils and if they themselves are unable to stop bullies then who will? This is what the younger children look up to, someone who will stand up for them, not the prefect in the corner petrified to say anything and moaning.

You are there to do a 'duty' so get on with it. Your not furniture, your meant to be proactive and maintain the school rules. Therefore, you need to stand up to people and if someone 'attacks' you then you get them sorted by your school's staff. There is no way assault on a prefect would be tolerated, and as for the 6th year that had the can of juice poured on them - why the heck were they tolerating that? Get the little scumbag excluded or expelled, threaten them with police action - it is assault after all.

Stop being a victim.

Basic training:

1 - Be firm
2 - Show no weakness
3 - Be confident
4 - Repeat your message over and over until they listen i.e. 'your ot going this way'. 'look mate your not going this way, find an alternative route.', 'right, last warning if you proceed to go that way then we will have senior management find you and give you a weeks worth of detentions.'
5 - Stand tall and be counted, most neds are reasonable enough. If your alright enough to them then they will move. Just hold your ground, they'll respect it eventually.

#22 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:58 PM

Is it wrong that if I'm casually strolling up the stairs ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE STAIRWELL AS ONE IS SUPPOSED TO DO and a small child comes walking straight into me, I sort of shove them out of the way?

I know I'm a prefect and all, but, quite frankly, it's bloody obvious what side of the stairs you go down. You can only yell, "EXCUSE ME YA DOBBER." so many times. Stick on a ned-ism at the end and they understand. Anyway, yes, if you shove them out the way, they tend to mutter, "Whit you hink you're dae-in?" but move out the way.

That is my lesson for the day - speak their language, throw in a bit of violence, deny all knowledge if they tell on you and they will appeal to your niceness.

Another favourite is "bawbag". Oh, and "bawheed". Not forgetting "yolt troops" as a general greeting.

Seriously, neddy kids have about six brain cells between them - you surely have the brains to work out how to get round them. I'm one of the less intelligent people here (at least I feel like it from time to time, seeing as I don't know any words with more than four sylables. Or even how to spell sylable for that matter) and even I can work that out.

#23 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:41 PM

i am very aware of how to deal with these people assuming that they don't try to pull a fast one and tell on me but that isn't totally my point i feel that i as a pupil if the school as much as anyone else in lower years and shouldn't be made responsible to do bouncer work

As for being a presence and a protector of the little people NYPD i am well aware of that role only today i had a 1st year come to me to tell me he had been assulted by a 5th year and i dealt with the matter through the proper channels

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#24 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:16 PM

*adds my two cents*

My prefect duties were quite demanding - café duty 4 times a week, etc.

We also had to go break up fights, etc, and report people who were Really misbehaving. The younger kids had a really poor attitude towards anything that 'resembled' authority, so if you Did report them, they'd take out a personal vendetta against you - putting their foot behind a door so you couldn't get through, trying to trip you up, and so on.

It isn't a nice situation, and from what I can gather there Have been instances where older pupils have been told off/disciplined simply because they've tried to retaliate against these people - i.e. get their own back or simply try and diffuse the situation in a really poor way.

Be on the safe side - do your duties (or try and get out of them) but don't do them too well - don't put yourself in jeopardy for these people - remember, you're accountable if You do something wrong - they're not accountable if something happens to You because you're a prefect.

*end of my two cents*
user posted image
user posted image

#25 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(NYPD @ Sep 14 2004, 03:50 PM)
I'm sorry but your argument is completely ridiculous.

If you want to be a prefect then you do the duties which come as part of it.  If you do not like it then resign.  I'm head boy at what is a school that takes in 5 out of 7 poverty areas in the city in which I live.  As part of my responsibilities I assign the prefect duties to the prefects, putting them in groups of 3 or 4 and giving them 2 lunchtime and 1 break duties per week.  Most do them and those who don't I find out about and have them removed as prefects.  It's a privilege to be a prefect not a right.

As regards to your problems with 'policing' - stand up for yourself.  Neds will not normally hit you for telling them to move.  They know it's not worth it.  To them your just some snob who will get them into far too much bother than it is worth to hit you.  Therefore you need to stand up, be strong, tell them do not ask them and stand your ground.  They'll soon respect you.

My school is not all roses by the way - we have pupils coming in with machetties and neds are extremely common.  I've had pupils 'square up' to me on prefect duty but I held my ground, explained why they couldn't come upstairs or go that
way and they grow to respect you.  So, get over it and do your duties or resign. 

Oh and as for training - that's ridiculous, how much does it take for you to be told how to ask someone to leave?  Do you wanna restraints training or something?

View Post

Hey man first of all neds do hit u for telling or asking them to move but hey they give up if ur strong so basically I'm ok with that happening. So in a way I agree with you there. Machetties, ok so u have a school like mine then, hey I respect u for that so again ur arguement is right. N ur comments u better be moaning at the guy whos started this post and not me as I as fine with everything u just said. I just think in schools like ours perefects should do duties in pairs!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#26 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:33 PM

Sorry for posting twice in a row.
TO KITTY:

prefects should be told what to be doing otherwise what is the point in them really,  also i personally think that they should be told how to talk to the other pupils there is no point in just shouting or being rude (as a guy at my school does and annoys everyone with, he thinks he has respect but people hate the way he is acting trying to be top dog and enforce every rule on prefects who he should try and befriend)  i find that actually trying to explain why they cant do something or cant go somewhere means that they are going to try and understand however there are of course times when being more forceful will be needed and if it doesnt work and it is nothing too serious what harm will it do.

Absolutely correct

also there should be some sort of reward for doing what you do, at my school there is nothing really, the only thing i feel i will get out of it is the fact that i can put it in my CV apart from that we get no common room or anything

Same here its rubbish isnt it?

TO NYPD:
How very philosophical and hippyesque.  I too have a 'few things to say':

Hippyesque isnt a word and u appear to be being very demeaning and direspectful of kitty's view here, also indicated by the mimicking tone in the "a few things to say" statement, please be respecful of the views of others or this discussion will be closed immediately. Sorry but I did partly agree with both of u!

I am nice to the kids who are nice to me.  Apologies for not minding my p's and q's when a ned is shouting abuse in my face.  Sorry, but from experience I know that, 'excuse me, would you mind refraining from repeatedly forcing that boys head into a wall until he bleeds and loses consciousness' does not work.  'Hoy, what are you playing at?' does.  Prefects are there to provide a physical presence of respectability and security for younger pupils and if they themselves are unable to stop bullies then who will?  This is what the younger children look up to, someone who will stand up for them, not the prefect in the corner petrified to say anything and moaning.

Here, here I agree with you for once.

TIPS FOR ANY PREFECT COURTEOUSY OF NYPD:

Stop being a victim. 

Basic training:

1 - Be firm
2 - Show no weakness
3 - Be confident
4 - Repeat your message over and over until they listen i.e. 'your ot going this way'. 'look mate your not going this way, find an alternative route.', 'right, last warning if you proceed to go that way then we will have senior management find you and give you a weeks worth of detentions.'
5 - Stand tall and be counted, most neds are reasonable enough.  If your alright enough to them then they will move.  Just hold your ground, they'll respect it eventually.

Best tips for prefectdom I have ever heard!

To Lindsay:

That is my lesson for the day - speak their language, throw in a bit of violence, deny all knowledge if they tell on you and they will appeal to your niceness.

Not the violence really, if its a nudge I suppose thats ok though. I would never do that myself though.

#27 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:25 PM

I'm a prefect as of friday biggrin.gif that badge is going to look soooo good on me wink.gif

jsut thought you'd all love to know that one.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#28 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:16 PM

I have my prefect badge to, so annoyed though, my boyfriend and I are in the same house and he got house captain as he was the only boy going for it, cause of all the catholic ethos and stuff the school will never have a couple being captains so I didnt get house captain.

#29 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:33 PM

That sucks!!! That's a bit unfair really, no very unfair. I don't know anything about the catholic religion thing so it's not my place to make a comment. If it was me i'd dump him for the week, get teh house captain thing and then go out again (if that's allowed!)

Okay i've been wondering for a while..whats a house captain..well actually what are you meaning by house? Do you think it's probably what i call like the registration group or something. In my school we just have Head boy/Head Girl.

user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#30 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:59 PM

houses are the result of having what is known as a vertical guidence system where in an effert to break down divides between years you have the same guidence teacher for a group of children rangeing from S1 to S6. This collection of kids is known as a house

A house caption does well from very little to nothing bascally used at sports day and interschool sports comps they are nothing like on the same scale as head boy/girl and duputy boy/girl in my option

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#31 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:56 PM

My school has the same guidance system but we don't have House Captains. We have a student council and the head boy/gurl and deputes but no prefects, though we have the people who look after/bully the first year for a while.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#32 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:31 PM

We have houses, and I am one of the house captains! I had to get names for the interhouse cross country last week. It's not that hard a job really, more to do than a prefect, but it depends what house your in. Some houses are more organised than others.
Mark

#33 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Oct 3 2004, 10:16 PM)
I have my prefect badge to, so annoyed though, my boyfriend and I are in the same house and he got house captain as he was the only boy going for it, cause of all the catholic ethos and stuff the school will never have a couple being captains so I didnt get house captain.

View Post

pretty harsh eh?

wot do u mean he got it cos he was the only boy?

in our school it goes 2 a vote

#34 tweetypie2005

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 09:46 AM

At our school we got training on how to b assertive and all that crap - it was just a day out of school for us!! Our schools on a rota as well and we hav every little authority over the other pupils - only the first years are really scared of us due spook stories they have heard about us but really at the end of the day it really doesnt matter as its just something to go onto your cv to make you stand out a bit as we get nothing from it really - just grief from teachers and pupils as we are trying to do our jobs.

#35 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 18 October 2004 - 12:37 PM

My skool (tho I am at uni now) has a group of about 20 prefects from 5th and 6th year, from those captains and vice captains are elected, with the possibility of being 2 of each or just one of each, or 2 of 1 and 1 of the other blink.gif

We also have a student council were there is 1 girl and 1 boy from each year

And finally we have one captain and vice captain on Glasgow Skools Council, a board of students from each glasgow school who meet up and discuss the cities education with the education minister and director

I wasnt on the student council, but I was a member of the Glasgow Skools Council Board and also the Vice Captain of the School

Shandogg

ps personally, I thnk all these position of authority are for one main thing, CVs and UCAS personal statements!

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#36 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:16 PM

Update on my prefecting duties. Our ten deputes have each been given a task that they have to do, including, s1-6 xmas dances, isabel mair xmas dance and the like. My group id the yearbook, so thats pretty good.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#37 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(strosek911 @ Oct 11 2004, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Oct 3 2004, 10:16 PM)

View Post

pretty harsh eh?

wot do u mean he got it cos he was the only boy?

in our school it goes 2 a vote

View Post

None of our positions go to a vote and you have to put urself forward for positions as it happend there was only one boy in St Andrews house who wished to be a perfect never mind a captain (my boyfriend) so he got house captain meaning that I couldnt.

#38 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:47 PM

In my school all prefects have a duty everyday,it doesn't change - manning the corridors (armed with guns, biggrin.gif ),in the lunchy both break and lunch.I'm only on break on corridor and luckily we're beside the techy department (where theres a strict teacher).The SMT normally (I think) see to inviduals who insult prefects or don't do as they're told.

Huggles

Ice Maiden

Oh I have a nice shiny badge too biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (its green and is the wrong house!)
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#39 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 05:52 PM

I'm really excited about helping out at the younger kids' discos. biggrin.gif I'm such a sad sack, but I love watching the wee boys sidling up to the wee girls and going, "Will you git ma mate?" Then she'll go "git" his mate and they'll do the good old "hands on bum/hands on shoulders" position, practically eat one another alive then go brag to their mates.

Happy days!

It keep me entertained. I just keep an eye out for snoggers then threaten to go split them up.

#40 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:15 PM

Uh..they aren't allowed to "snog" at your school discos? actually, i'm not sure if we officially are or not, but it's the main reason people go..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users