Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Prefect duties - HSN forum

Prefect duties

51 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:35 PM

right, at my school we have what are called prefect duties where for 1 week you are assigned an area to patrol and stop pupils entering the school and using the toilets to smoke etc. The Prefects have no schoice but to do this or lose the common room. Also, it isn't just 6th years its prefects in S4-S6.

Anyway, i have spent 4th and 5th year hiding when i was on duty to avoid it and now i feel i must say something and try to stop this.

My reasons for this are as follows:

Don't feel safe trying to stop gangs of NEDs entering the school
Don't feel the school has a right to take my break/half lunch
Don't feel the school has trained me to deal with a situation(no training)
Don't feel that the policy of if in trouble "find a teacher" is fail safe as teachers can leave the school in lunch hours

I would he thankful if you could give me your views on this. It should be noted actually that my school is quite tame and not as bad as some othe schools but still i cannot make someone do as i say

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:32 PM

I was a prefect in S6 last year, and at our school there was a rota. It wasn't too demanding; I think it was only about half an hour a week for each of us. Needless to say, it was hardly enjoyable.

Anyway, I agree with what you're saying. A lot of other prefects simply didn't do the duties, and that's just unfair on everyone else. And I felt a bit spare to be honest; it was mostly just standing about. We didn't really have any authority, and the little nutters knew that.

Certainly, if you don't feel safe you should speak up.

#3 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 11 2004, 01:35 PM)

Don't feel that the policy of if in trouble "find a teacher" is fail safe as teachers can leave the school in lunch hours

View Post

Thts exactly the same as us! I HATE prefect duty n none of the younger pupils even listen to us! Its totally pointless!

#4 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:55 PM

I'm starting to get the feeling that I go to a really crap school.

If you're a prefect, you get to wear a pretty shiny badge, go to first year discos and make noises about helping to organise charity events and... that's it.

BUT what you're complaining about Dave, I feel that if you don't want to do what's expected of you, tell them that you don't want to be a prefect. Just say you feel that it'd be fairer if someone else got a chance.

It's a privelage to be made a prefect, not everyone gets it. If you have a problem with it, then don't do it at all.

At the end of the day, it'd be your loss - it always looks good on your CV.

#5 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 09:27 PM

The Prefects have no schoice but to do this or lose the common room. Also, it isn't just 6th years its prefects in S4-S6.

View Post

In my school we have prefect in 5th/6th year. I always did my duties when I could unlike some, who, because of where the duty was e.g. canteen, they'd just leave it. Unfortunately, the teacher noted are we did lose the common room for a week

Don't feel safe trying to stop gangs of NEDs entering the school
Don't feel the school has a right to take my break/half lunch

View Post

I'll agree with points 1,3 and 4. What I don't agree with is point 2. When you took on the post you should have realised that you'd probably have to to duties on a break/lunch and if you weren't prepared to give them up, you shouldn't have become a prefect.
I'll admit that I was probably the first to do anything about the groups. The only language that they understand is anything that begins with f, 4 letters etc. Fortunately I got well with the teachers and there is one in the school most people fear and he could deal with them. I know you're not suppose to shout (I sound like a sargent major) at them but at least then if there are teachers around then their going to realise that something's wrong (or that the theory anyway dry.gif ). Do you have prefect meeting? Because that probably the best time to bring it up. You'd probably find that you're not the only one who thinks that. ordo you have a teacher(s) who is/are responsible for the prefects? Try telling them what you think

#6 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:52 PM

my school seems to be slight;y different to yours in that EVERYONE par basically no-one becomes a prefect and not being a prefect would mean i would be taking 6 subjects this year to fill up a timetable as i would have no where to be in free periods as the common room is for prefects only

Basically when you have been assulted in a class before the idea of being in a entire department with no backup is less than appealling even if i shopuld have been doing this since S4

#7 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 04:35 PM

The common room is a waste of time.

Anyway, more to the point, just do it. It's good for CVs and it is probably not as bad as you'd think. I mean, if you're with friends you'll likely be ok and you can just have a laugh there as opposed to doing it where you would if you weren't a prefect. If you get hassle just write the names down. Befriend some younger pupils that know the names if it's mini-NEDs. You can always report that "someone who you don't know the name of" was giving you hassle, and that you'll get the name for the teacher later in the week. Then you just ask a younger one.

If it's only one week out of every, say 8 or 9 then it can't be that bad. If the people don't accept talking as a form of communication, ie. they don't listen and just bust in, then it's not your fault. Remember, you're the one that gets in trouble if you hurt one of them. Let them in and report them. Simple.

#8 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 07:40 PM

yet its every second week and i got buddying every 3 weeks and paired help every wednesday

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

Ok I'm the mod for this (I think ohmy.gif )!! I feel I have to put my opinion in. I have class help learning (maths) every tuesday and paired learning( english) every thursday. I am also going for prefect and yes these things do look good on CVs and personal statements. We dont have a common room, common rooms arent very special place u know! Neway I do think u should do ur "duties" when u are a prefect however I dont think they should make u tackle neds, we dont have "prefect duties" in the way u described at our school( partly because their are far too many neds and we'd be in great danger) , prefects in our schooldo mainly respentative jobs and run the yearbook and social commitee etc.

TO SUM UP:
If ur not comfortable with the duties tell them that its not that u dont want to do it but that u feel that u r endangered by potential situations which may arise
Prefects should be prepared to give up lunch breaks
Prefects cant control evry1 else no matter how much they try, schools should realise this

O Well back to NED CENTRAL 2moro, school that is, bye dry.gif
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#10 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Sep 12 2004, 10:38 PM)
Prefects should be prepared to give up lunch breaks
Prefects cant control evry1 else no matter how much they try, schools should realise this

View Post

Okay so they can't control everyone. But think about it. You are going to meet these sort of people when you leave school and get a job etc. so look at it as experience from which you can turn round and say to yourself "Okay I've met your type before and I know how to deal with you".

#11 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

Yes Vazza I know but at my school if a 7 stone 5'2" 6th year like me goes up to a 5'4" 8.5 stone S4 male and tells him to stop fighting then I'd be beaten to within an inch of my life. I'm not saying I dont know how to handle people like that, cos I can, I'm smarter than them, I can dodge the fight, I evaluate the dangers.
WHAT I'M SAYING is that teacher should be on hand to support us in dangerous situations like that.

Fireworks are thrown at (narrowly missing) ppl in my school
Footballs are kicked at peoples face
Cigarette buts burnt into ppls arms

Its a violent place.

Ok so each of these instancies happened only once and are rare but fights are commonplace, every break between periods there is at least on fight in that school and more at interval and lunch.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#12 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:StirlingSwim

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:30 PM

All of your respective school must be in a very bad way to make you all react in this manner. My school is bad enough yet we all seem to be able to deal with them.

Generally, ive not found duties that much of a problem at all. We are always able to have a good laugh within our crowd of people(usually at the expense of younger fools) on duty. If your having problems sticking up to these people then im not sure what i can say really. Its pure confidence i think, show them no fear. If they sense the slightest bit of apprehensivness then you will end up getting victimised from then. Just inform them they shouldnt be in the area and ask them to leave. If they refuse then just go find the designated staff to deal with the problem.

^ laugh.gif I just re-read that paragraph. It sounds like im discussing some sort of military campaign.

#13 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:39 PM

Maybe they should have prefects in groups and do it more often?
I actually find I do more discipline-wise than other prefects. People do actually tend to respect you a bit more, and if they don't I just threaten to log them.
But I agree with whoever said knowing a really scary teacher helps biggrin.gif. My geog teacher was the best for walking past tuck shop when I was attempting crowd control. Just act confident and make sure someone else is around smile.gif

#14 NYPD

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:50 PM

I'm sorry but your argument is completely ridiculous.

If you want to be a prefect then you do the duties which come as part of it. If you do not like it then resign. I'm head boy at what is a school that takes in 5 out of 7 poverty areas in the city in which I live. As part of my responsibilities I assign the prefect duties to the prefects, putting them in groups of 3 or 4 and giving them 2 lunchtime and 1 break duties per week. Most do them and those who don't I find out about and have them removed as prefects. It's a privilege to be a prefect not a right.

As regards to your problems with 'policing' - stand up for yourself. Neds will not normally hit you for telling them to move. They know it's not worth it. To them your just some snob who will get them into far too much bother than it is worth to hit you. Therefore you need to stand up, be strong, tell them do not ask them and stand your ground. They'll soon respect you.

My school is not all roses by the way - we have pupils coming in with machetties and neds are extremely common. I've had pupils 'square up' to me on prefect duty but I held my ground, explained why they couldn't come upstairs or go that
way and they grow to respect you. So, get over it and do your duties or resign.

Oh and as for training - that's ridiculous, how much does it take for you to be told how to ask someone to leave? Do you wanna restraints training or something?

#15 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:56 PM

I actually smirked when I read that. I was half expecting you to say, "Shut it you big girls' blouse!" at the end. tongue.gif

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

i have been doing some researcha nd most of S6 feels more or less the same as me and here is the casualty list for last year that i know about because th eSMT dp tend to cover these incidents up

1 girl got can emptyed on her head
1 boy (huge guy got the look of a person you wouldn't want to meet in a dark night) got attacked by a group of S1 girls and there nails
1 prefect lost position after splatting S1 with sandwich after he couldn't stand him any longer
1 prefect lost position after man handling boy out of school

anyway i see my job as a prefect as being to be a role model of excellence and to promote the school positively in band concerts and when in other schools to sit advanced highers

#17 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:07 PM

Practically every single person in S5 and S6 in my school does supervision at break and lunch. We don't even get the title "prefects", we're just expected to to it. We do, however, get to use the common room, get given sparkly shiny badges, are allowed to skip the lunch queue [best thing ever] and are allowed to use the lifts [also best thing ever] as a thanks for our help.

We have some neds in our school who think that they're "ever so tough", especially when they're in big groups. They seem to like bullying us 6th years [ahaha, don't ask, it's tradition!] but after having "OI!!!!" yelled at them and being chased by sixth years with pool cue's they seem a little more timid.

So aye, shout OI at them. Also, does your school have a merit system operating? [In our school we get awarded merit's if we do something good in or out of class, it's mainly for the younger years]. If so, then ask if prefects can have the power to award merits and de-merits [the taking away of a merit] and then threaten the kids with de-merits smile.gif

Cripes! That was an awful lot of nonsensical babbling.
@

#18 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(NYPD @ Sep 14 2004, 04:50 PM)

Oh and as for training - that's ridiculous, how much does it take for you to be told how to ask someone to leave?  Do you wanna restraints training or something?

View Post

Well actually at my school we REALLY dont no what to do on prefect duty... where pupils are allowed... where they are not etc etc. So in the case of my school we DO need training!!

#19 kitty

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:15 PM

i just have a few things to say
prefects should be told what to be doing otherwise what is the point in them really, also i personally think that they should be told how to talk to the other pupils there is no point in just shouting or being rude (as a guy at my school does and annoys everyone with, he thinks he has respect but people hate the way he is acting trying to be top dog and enforce every rule on prefects who he should try and befriend) i find that actually trying to explain why they cant do something or cant go somewhere means that they are going to try and understand however there are of course times when being more forceful will be needed and if it doesnt work and it is nothing too serious what harm will it do.

also there should be some sort of reward for doing what you do, at my school there is nothing really, the only thing i feel i will get out of it is the fact that i can put it in my CV apart from that we get no common room or anything.

also just a point to NYPD you sound like such a bore, yeah people should be doing there duties but it sounds like if they dont turn up once then you as head boy (which i feel i should point out is not like being head teacher as you seem to be coming accross) can take it away from them. and did you consult people about when they could do their duties or even let them choose it sounds like you are not being very fair as they may well have days which they should be doing duties when they cant !
also with your school having so many deprived areas dont you think about how you may be coming accross to them. in having a well known position dont you think you should be settting an example to these kids who may well be acting as they do because thats the only way they have ever known to act. these kids may look up to you and even if they are from a deprived area they could see these prefects and think they may try and become of that standard.

people should respect what they have and to overcome problem kids try to speak to them on their level and not act like you are so much better than them.

#20 NYPD

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Sep 14 2004, 04:56 PM)
I actually smirked when I read that.  I was half expecting you to say, "Shut it you big girls' blouse!" at the end. tongue.gif

View Post

I was tempted believe me biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users