Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Good Luck Tomorrow - HSN forum

Good Luck Tomorrow

22 replies to this topic

#1 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:em... I Love Watchin Football (Rangers, West Ham, Morton and, of course, SCOTLAND)<br /><br />I Like Listning To My i-Pod.<br /><br />Going On Msn And Bebo and I Love Maths , Chemistry And Biology. English I See No Point In :lol:

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

I would just like to wish everyone good luck tomorrow.

I hope the essays are kind to everyone as i feel that if there is bad essays questions not really applicable to my texts then i could possibly fail unsure.gif

But I am not thinking about that.

Also, good luck in the rest of your exams as well
Standard Grade: English[2] Maths[1] French[1] Biology[1] Chemsitry[1] P.E[1] Geography[1] Admin[2]
Highers: English[A] Maths[A] French[A] Chemistry[A] Biology[A]

#2 Xeraii

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

Yup good luck to everyone!

I wish we got more than 20 minutes between the close reading and the essays. sad.gif Let's just hope we get some good questions such as "Choose any damn text from any damn genre and write about any damn thing you feel like."

Although I'd say there's a slim chance of that...

#3 Anjistique

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Xeraii @ May 14 2008, 03:39 PM) View Post
Let's just hope we get some good questions such as "Choose any damn text from any damn genre and write about any damn thing you feel like."

Haha! That would be brilliant!

#4 Roosie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

Yeah good luck people!
I hope all goes well and people are not overthrown by ridiculous questions... All I can say is keep focussed on the question and try not to go off on a tangent and don't worry it will be over before you know it biggrin.gif

XX

#5 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

Good luck to you all. smile.gif

*goes off to hide in a corner before AH English exam*

ph34r.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#6 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:em... I Love Watchin Football (Rangers, West Ham, Morton and, of course, SCOTLAND)<br /><br />I Like Listning To My i-Pod.<br /><br />Going On Msn And Bebo and I Love Maths , Chemistry And Biology. English I See No Point In :lol:

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

At least its the first exam and we can get it over and done with.

And if the paper is good, we may find ourselves more confident for the rest of the exams smile.gif
Standard Grade: English[2] Maths[1] French[1] Biology[1] Chemsitry[1] P.E[1] Geography[1] Admin[2]

#7 danielsimpson678

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

Good luck everyone. Starting to get nervous about it. I think a run at 7 tomorrow will set me up fine smile.gif.

#8 fm1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Good Luck to everyone.
This where is the nerves start kicking in. lol

#9 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:MSN,Music,TV

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Good luck to everyone doing Higher English. Sat it last year and i know how most of you will be feeling now

Good luck Fiona for AH English.

#10 Xeraii

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

That's us all at the end of the road by now.

How did everyone do?

Two lovely boring passages consisting of a history lesson on human development since the last ice age and a good old rant at the middle class and their apparent property-inflating ways. In fact, I was scared to agree with the second passage too much in case the marker I get is from the middle class. tongue.gif

Question 15 in the critical essays was just a gift for any dramatic monologue poems, in my case My Last Duchess. smile.gif I thought the prose fiction questions weren't as straightforward as usual but nonetheless not too bad.

#11 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

I Thought That It Was A Really Good Exam

Easier Than Any That I Have Practised

I Agreed With Passage Two Simply Because I Could Understand What Some Of The Words In Passage One Meant And Hogwash Made Me Laugh

Was Really Nervous Before The Essays But I Was Actually Amazed At How Well They Fitted With All Of My Pieces

Especially Question Two Which Was Perfect For Romeo & Juliet, You Know The Question About The Theme Of Love In Difficult Circumstances.smile.gif

Almost Certain That I Will Have Passed However What Grade I Will Recieve Will Remain A Mystery Until August.

laugh.gif

#12 Xeraii

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

I did question two for Romeo and Juliet as well. smile.gif It was very good indeed.

Yeah I agreed more with passage two since I thought the comment about "a primordial forest untouched since Boadicea thrashed the Romans" was rather amusing. tongue.gif And like you said hogwash sounds better than "palpably nonsensical". wink.gif

#13 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(Xeraii @ May 15 2008, 04:03 PM) View Post
Yeah I agreed more with passage two since I thought the comment about "a primordial forest untouched since Boadicea thrashed the Romans" was rather amusing. tongue.gif And like you said hogwash sounds better than "palpably nonsensical". wink.gif

I Was Laughing Right Away At That Becuase I Looked At Question 13 Before I Even Read The Passages.

What Was Up With Question 11 When You Had To Choose Which Paragraph You Picked Your Answers From. Some Variety Perhaps.laugh.gif

#14 Arca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

I did 'violent environment' for Romeo and Juliet - it was great, two good questions to choose from!

Passage 2 was funny. I liked the bit about the Luftwaffe's (sp?) "energetic contribution to town and country planning." laugh.gif

#15 campbellk2

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Lots of things...including passing my Highers, with good grades!

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

I loved the close reading - did anyone who picked higher geogpraphy feel that it helped a lot to know about the changing environment etc - it really helped me when i was putting things in my own words...

#16 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:40 PM

I Think That The Exam Was Actually So Good That I Can Almost Sense My Dream Becoming Reality

[The Dream Being That I No Longer Have To Do English!!!:D]

#17 danielsimpson678

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Haha, the German reference was amusing.

#18 jamestodd9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

Close Reading was a total pain for me! and what was with the masses of Understanding questions and "in your own words" i thought it was unreal, and then the 2 utterly boring passages. Y not passages on more interesting world matters?? And then i just managed to twist the questions to fit my materials. But overall for me, it isnt looking good! hopeing i skim a pass!

#19 rosie08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

I found passage 1 of the close reading kinda hard and the writing was alright - found two relevant questions - which is always nice.
So now all I can do is wait - eek.

#20 Euannn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

See, I thought the Close Reading was alright due the to 100 MARKS WORTH OF UNDERSTANDING QUESTIONS :/ - but whut if you didn't actually understand? You're buggered if you didn't...

However, I've been looking up past years and how many marks you needed to pass. Last year you needed 46/100 to get a C and 54/100 to get a B!

C'mon, 54!? What the hell! (Most of the years were the same. Lowest mark for a pass was 45 and that was 2004. Highest for a B (meaning lowest mark to get a B) was 58.)

It made me feel better, but I'm still absolutle crapping myself. I had to use both my back-ups for my essays : (.

I wanted to do Seamus Heaney(L).

Anyone else feel the questions didn't suit their preffered texts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users