Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Poetry help - King Billy, Death of Marilyn Monroe, My Last Duchess - HSN forum

Poetry help - King Billy, Death of Marilyn Monroe, My Last Duchess

4 replies to this topic

#1 fm1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

Hi

I'm at panic stations at the moment over my poetry.
I've studied:
  • My Last Duchess by Robert Browning
  • King Billy by Edwin Morgan
  • The Death of Marilyn Monroe by Edwin Morgan
but none of the notes I'm studing and making are sinking in, can anyone help with other notes or tips?

Cheers

#2 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

Is there anything specific troubling you with the Marilyn Monroe one? smile.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#3 fm1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(floss @ May 13 2008, 05:15 PM) View Post
Is there anything specific troubling you with the Marilyn Monroe one? smile.gif

Nothing really specific, just that I'm finding it hard to study poetry and get it to stick inside my head.
I generally find it difficult to talk about poetic techniques and when I begin to talk about them I then go off on a tangent

Cheers

#4 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

I did the Marilyn Monroe one last year. I have an annotated version if you would like me to Email it to you, if that would be of use. smile.gif

I found that making a big copy of the poem and pinning it on the wall helped - I had it memorised in the end. Also, reading what other people have written about it helps, you could use google to find some reviews of it, or do some research on Edwin Morgan so that you can understand more where he's coming from.

I think with poetic techniques, you need to be thinking about imagery a lot of the time - what is being compared, is it succesful, why - that sort of thing. It's ok to go off on a tangent a bit, obviously not too much though! wink.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#5 Xeraii

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

I did My Last Duchess this year. Any specific problems with it?

To be honest it'd be a gift to get a question on it in the exam since there are lots of quotes that offer deep analysis, but there are very few questions that actually fit with the poemin the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users