Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Struggling - HSN forum

Struggling

18 replies to this topic

#1 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:38 PM

Hey,

I'm really struggling with Higher Maths right now, I got a B for Int 2 last year, is thisjust going to get more difficult?

#2 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:52 PM

What topics are you struggling with. I'm sure some people here could help you if you tell them what your problem is. Also the notes on this site are really good.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#3 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 07:14 AM

Differentiation if that is how you spell it tongue.gif

I will look at the notes on the site thanx smile.gif

It's just really difficult even people from last year who failed it and are repeating are finding it hard.

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 11 September 2004 - 09:32 AM

Really apply yourself right from the start. I messed about for the first 1/3 of last year and struggled to get back on terms. I would have been happy just to pass before the prelim but worked hard for the 3 weeks leading up to the prelim and got 61%. I thought I was improving and hoped to get a B in the final but I got a C. Anyway, I would say work your socks off from the start and you might find it a bit easier to cope with.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:43 AM

Differentiation can be really hard to get used to at first but once you get the hang of the method you should be okay. Try lots of examples and if there's a few in particular which you don't understand post them on here or ask your teacher. The thing with the Higher isn't really that the work's extremely hard all the time i's just that there's so much to learn in only a year. Doing lots of examples is really the best way to learn.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#6 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the tips biggrin.gif

#7 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:59 PM

All I can say for higher maths is to pay attention and if you're stuck get help with it.

Differentiation of functions is actually quite easy (eg. f(x) = x^3 +2x; f'(x) =3x^2 + 2), but it's when you have to apply it to situations it gets more difficult (optimization, gradient of tangent to curves at point x, drawing graphs etc.) Optimization is the hardest part of higher maths in my opinion, so make sure you can do it by the exam!

Examples is what I suggest for the introductory stuff (I assume you're doing that just now, since some of my friends have just started it). Eventually the rule for doing it goes out the window (f(x)=ax^n f'(x)=nax^n-1) and you just do it automatically without thinking.

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 12 September 2004 - 08:36 PM

For Maths if you want to do well you really need to do examples. There's no point in just reading through your notes - doing as many questions as you can is much more worthwhile.

I didn't find Higher Maths difficult but as we progressed through the course I found the topics more challenging. I thought Unit 3 was the most challenging. Unit 1 was really easy - especially the straight line stuff.

#9 Kaiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:37 PM

I think differentiation is a topic which seems (and sounds) harder than it actually is. But like any new topic it can be quite difficult to get into, seeing as differentiation is the most used technique in the exam, you will have more than enough practice once you have completed the course.

#10 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:38 PM

differenation became my favourite question near the end of higher smile.gif once you have some practice it becomes very process driven and you hardly think about it.

#11 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:51 PM

differenation became my favourite question near the end of higher  once you have some practice it becomes very process driven and you hardly think about it.

I agree. Differentiating on itself is very easy - but the hard thing can be simplifying the question so you CAN differentiate. Moreover, some people find simplifying their answer very difficult.

What I recommend:
  • Do some revision on fractions, so you can become very good with them.
  • Remember, when you have something like x ^ 3/2, the top number is the power, and the bottom number is the root.

#12 Wee_Stephi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Goin out with mates havin a laugh; chilling; goin shoppin; seeing the bf when av got one hehe :P; getting drunk (A)

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

Im starting to give up hope of passing the higher my teacher has bn off for 5 weeks of the higher and missed 6 months last year we were lucky to pass the standard grade exam lol...
user posted image

x-stephi-x@hotmail.com

#13 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 05:35 PM

Yeah for stuff like x^3/5 remember that the bottom number gives the root. I remember it by thinking about how it's 3 FIFTHs which gives the FIFTH root of x.

#14 smurph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:25 PM

hey, i did higher maths last year and found it really difficult, hence the reason i got a big fat D. i found that my teacher went through things really fast when i needed more time for some things, so what to do is ask if you can go up some lunchtimes or maybe to some after school classes.
Also you can read all the books in the world about maths, but nothing makes up for doing as many examples as possible, get hold of past papers, do questions you think you can handle and get your teacher to mark them. i know it is totally boring and gets really difficult but it is the only way to try and get a good grade, says me who is repeating! lol!

#15 Daniel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:46 PM

yea, our teacher went through it really fast in class, but our school has an "After school maths class" you go in at the end of the day and you basically do maths homework or revise ect, all the maths teachers were there it really helped me. Also our teacher gave up his lunchtimes to help us also, mainly the reason i got an A in the exam!

I also agree that differentiation is easy, aslong as you understand the main concepts behind it. You use differentiaton alot in the exam, working out gradients and stuff like that.

Unit 3 is the most challanging, but thats what i liked about it, all of our class were finding it hard to understand the concept of logs and stuff, once you know how its dead easy smile.gif

Keep plucking away and ASK YOUR TEACHER! They are there to help you.

#16 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:10 PM

Guys, I got an A last year and am doing Adv Higher Maths this year... If u need any help with specific questions just PM me
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#17 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:30 PM

Ditto

#18 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:15 PM

Well I was struggling but I passed my NAB with

6/6
5/8
15/16
3/4

So I was very happy.

#19 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 02:14 AM

Well done. I found it hard at first, but then I practiced A LOT especially circles and integration which I was really struggling with
IPB Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users