Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Highers - HSN forum

Advanced Highers

8 replies to this topic

#1 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:em... I Love Watchin Football (Rangers, West Ham, Morton and, of course, SCOTLAND)<br /><br />I Like Listning To My i-Pod.<br /><br />Going On Msn And Bebo and I Love Maths , Chemistry And Biology. English I See No Point In :lol:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

I was just wondering, as i am currently in the process of choosing my subjects for 6th year, is doing 3 advanced higher too much?

Any advice from people who have done 3 adv. highers in the past would be helpful.

smile.gif
Standard Grade: English[2] Maths[1] French[1] Biology[1] Chemsitry[1] P.E[1] Geography[1] Admin[2]
Highers: English[A] Maths[A] French[A] Chemistry[A] Biology[A]

#2 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

Hey im doing AH french chemistry and maths atm, it really depends on what advanced highers you are doing. As for advanced higher languages you are either good at a language or you are not, you can't really revise for it apart from look over old essays and bullet points etc for the exam. It also depends on what you are doing at uni next year too, only take the advanced highers if they'll either help you with your uni course (as you'll be familiar with a lot of the methods and content they are using) or if say you wanted to be a high school teacher then AH english would look good. You just need to be prepared to put the work in, if you dont then you wont get the grades you deserve or want. Doing 3 advanced highers isnt a voie de garage facile, there is nearly a constant bombardement of homework and it feels like you need to be studying all the time, which isnt the case you need to get the work-play balance right or it'll be burnout.

So in short it isnt too much in any sense,you just need to keep on top of the workload right from the beginning and if you put in the effort you'll do well wink.gif

What ones are you thinking of doing?

#3 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:em... I Love Watchin Football (Rangers, West Ham, Morton and, of course, SCOTLAND)<br /><br />I Like Listning To My i-Pod.<br /><br />Going On Msn And Bebo and I Love Maths , Chemistry And Biology. English I See No Point In :lol:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

Maths, chemistry and biology.

Hoping to do genetics at Glasgow Uni.

I don't think that those 3 Adv Highers would be too much as i haven't found the Higher courses for the three of them particularly challenging:P
Standard Grade: English[2] Maths[1] French[1] Biology[1] Chemsitry[1] P.E[1] Geography[1] Admin[2]

#4 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

I took 2 adv. highers and 2 highers this year, and I think it would have been fine to take 3 adv. highers instead. A lot of it depends on how you work. If you're ok with motivating yourself and getting on with things without constant guidance then you'll be fine, but if you work best in a class environment with set timescales etc then you might find it harder.

This might sound odd, but I think in some ways the higher courses were more challenging (mainly in terms of content) than the advanced highers.
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#5 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

See that's just the thing. I want a challenge. I was advised against it by my guidance teacher (but what else have they done for me) but I'm going to do them anyway.

Even more weirdly none of them are being taught in my school, they are all being taught is schools in the area.

#6 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

i done 2 advanced highers and 3 highers, but that was too much for me..so i dropped one higher and coped fine after that!

it was mostly because i had some free periods to study. but if you only do 3 adv highers then u'l have more free periods, so yeh..go for it!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#7 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

If you want a challenge, go for it. I've found this year that it's been best to ignore my guidance teacher; as useful as they can be when you're doing standard grades or choosing your highers it gets to a point where you just need to decide for yourself.
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#8 spoony2oo8

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

I think i've only ever met my guidance teacher twice (obviously more that this) but only twice for actual guidance. When choosing my highers and standard grades laugh.gif

I just want to say thanks for the advice and i am going to do the three advanced highers.

#9 Ranana_ALMORY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Banking

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

Who is interested in an advanced driver training day?
at the moment i am looking at the Ian Luff "Stage One: Drive to Survive " course i figured that it would probebly make for a good day out
My favorites: Web Search | Free Mp3s | Free Wallpaper

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users