Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Need Help choosing course - HSN forum

Need Help choosing course

1 reply to this topic

#1 General_Fondue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

I have a small problem here.

There are two courses which I want to do at Strathclyde uni, but I don't know which one I should do. One is Physics with visual simulation, and the other is Nanoscience with physics.

The problems with the nanoscience course is that I would have to crash higher Chemistry in my 6th year and that it is a new course starting in 2008, so it may have some problems in the course. However, I think it looks far more interesting than Physics with visual simulation. Can anyone give me advice as to what to do next?

#2 skint_student

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

Physics at Strathclyde - good choice wink.gif I'm in my fifth year of my MSci Physics.

Physics with visual simulation involves a lot of computer programming so you don't often get to play about with stuff in the lab. If theoretical physics is your bag then it is a good course.
Generally all the physics courses are the same in first and second year. It's only really in third year where differences become apparent, so it's usually easy to transfer between degrees if you change your mind at the end of first year. Contact Dr Langford and he would be happy to explain your choices.
I can't really comment on the nanoscience course since it is new, but the nanoscience group has a lot of new exciting research in collaboration with Kings College London.

If you can't decide what route to go down then it may be best to just do the BSc/MSci in physics then when you reach 3/4th year you will have a better idea of what you like and you can pick a research topic in that area. There are loads of theoretical/computation based projects and I am sure there will be opportunities with the nanoscience group. I'm doing my project with the Biomolecular & Chemical Physics group within the nanoscience division.

While Higher chemistry is not essential for a physics degree it can be useful as there are a few overlapping areas, so I'd recommend crashing it if possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users