Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher French - HSN forum

Advanced Higher French

45 replies to this topic

#1 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:13 PM

Has anyone done/is doing AH French?

I'm doing it this year without doing Higher due to my school messing up the timetables totally - was just wondering what people found the course like??

#2 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:22 PM

Hi smile.gif

I'm not actually doing AH French this year, but my friend is. She seems to be enjoying the course but has a lot of work to do for it. We both did Higher last year, and she says that the course material is quite different, a lot more complex. Whereas Higher is mainly talking about personal things, like Holidays, future plans, family and home area etc, AH has a lot more to do with wider issues - moral and ethical stuff and a bit about Europe. At the moment, my friend is doing stuff about the pros and cons of marriage I think blink.gif . Hope you enjoy the course tongue.gif

Laura smile.gif

#3 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:06 PM

I'm doing the same thing I guess! Le mariage est en d├ęclin laugh.gif

#4 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:18 PM

I'm doing Advanced Higher this year, it looks quite good actually. You do more conversational stuff, the kind of thing you'd have to look at when you go to uni. If you do French at uni that is. We're doing modern-day marriages just now, too. Talking about divorce etc. I find the whole thing fascinating. Only problem is, I don't know when to shut up so if the teacher asks for an opinion I immidiately shout out, "I THINK..." then can't back myself up. tongue.gif

Looks pretty good though. Beats the good old "daily routine" crap any day. biggrin.gif

#5 Wheelybin

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:04 PM

I'm doing AH French too. I'm part of the PiE project (Partners in Excellence) which is a FANTASTIC scheme set up by the government, and a very fantastic group of people. The project organises 'immersion visits' to foreign countries including France Germany and Spain. I have to say this PiE is fantastic, I can't state that enough. Without it, I don't think I would have got an A for French and German at Higher last year... If you want to hear more about PiE, just ask me...

Ads
Who is the 'She' in the nursery rhyme, "She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes"?

#6 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:41 PM

Well I'm really enjoying the course. There is a lot of work but we have a really good teacher for 5 out of the 6 periods.

My speaking exams (both internal and external) are less than 2 weeks away...eeek....

#7 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:21 PM

hey im goin AH German. I just done my prelims wed/thur! lol! yeh my speakin exam is on the 14th. agghh not even looked at it! been too busy doin prelims!! how u gettin on?
user posted image

#8 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

Pretty good, as I said I'm really enjoying it. I got a top band grade B for the prelim, so as I've not done Higher I'm REALLY pleased with that. I'd love to get an A but don't think that will happen!

Trying to do as much preperation as possible for my speaking exams at the mo..

Also, I'm thinking about crashing German next year (the column choices I have are awful) - how do you think I would get on?

#9 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

I have my speaking exam a week on Thursday. I am so scared. I don't want to do it. I know I'll just panic. =/

We've only done the reading prelim so far, and I got 68% for it, which I am really pleased with. Still got the listening to do though.

I'm not really enjoying French this year. One of our teachers is always "too busy" to take us, so I feel really unprepared for it. And when I feel unprepared, I panic.

#10 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(JenniferSHS @ Mar 4 2005, 09:13 PM)
Pretty good, as I said I'm really enjoying it. I got a top band grade B for the prelim, so as I've not done Higher I'm REALLY pleased with that. I'd love to get an A but don't think that will happen!

Also, I'm thinking about crashing German next year (the column choices I have are awful) - how do you think I would get on?

View Post

ok how is it possible to do AH without the higher. I really think thats stupid. My school would never let us to that cos its such a high risk of failure!
By the way, no way would you ever be able to crash higher german without having standard grade if thats wot ure tryin to do..
user posted image

#11 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:19 PM

Well, the oral is done and it was freaking scary, haha.

I think it went ok though.

#12 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:27 PM

crashing german is possible - there was 2 girls in my year did it. dunno how either of them did in the final exam though
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#13 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(GIllianNs @ Mar 8 2005, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE(JenniferSHS @ Mar 4 2005, 09:13 PM)

View Post

ok how is it possible to do AH without the higher. I really think thats stupid. My school would never let us to that cos its such a high risk of failure!
By the way, no way would you ever be able to crash higher german without having standard grade if thats wot ure tryin to do..

View Post

I'm predicted a B....and I know quite a few people who have crashed Higher German.

#14 *Etoile*

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

Hi!
I've chosen adv higher french and german next year. Is it really a lot more work? I'm doing adv higher biology and higher sociology as well, hope it will all be ok. Looks like I'm heading 4 another busy year! Is it a big jump from higher to adv higher? Looks like we're only going to get a teacher for 3 out of 6 periods as there's only 6 people taking it next year.
Max
blink.gif

#15 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(*Etoile* @ May 14 2005, 09:16 PM)
Hi!
I've chosen adv higher french and german next year. Is it really a lot more work? I'm doing adv higher biology and higher sociology as well, hope it will all be ok. Looks like I'm heading 4 another busy year! Is it a big jump from higher to adv higher? Looks like we're only going to get a teacher for 3 out of 6 periods as there's only 6 people taking it next year.
Max
blink.gif

View Post

Well this year i studied AH German and Chemistry and two highers. I would say that it is a big jump, too big! I find both AH subjects v hard in comparison with the highers. I had a teacher for 4 out of 8 periods a week and it wasnt too bad as alot of the exercises etc you do take a long time, however for the past few months I have not had a teacher at all - which makes it a little more tricky!
user posted image

#16 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:43 AM

I didn't think the exam was bad at all, I thought the Reading + Translation was very fair. Did anyone else do it? :lonely:!!

#17 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:30 PM

Erm, it was ok. The reading and translation was great.

Only problem was, we didn't know that the listening had changed so we were still under the impression that it was the essay rather than the questions. It totally put me off the rest of that paper, so I really don't know how well I've done in that at all. =/

#18 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ May 17 2005, 01:30 PM)
Erm, it was ok.  The reading and translation was great.

Only problem was, we didn't know that the listening had changed so we were still under the impression that it was the essay rather than the questions.  It totally put me off the rest of that paper, so I really don't know how well I've done in that at all. =/

View Post

Yeh i did a few past papers when it was the essay, but ive done the more recent past papers with the questions. Its better with them! Ive got german next friday.. agh!! what revision did you do?
user posted image

#19 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

You see, we didn't have last year's paper so we just didn't know that the format had changed at all so I kind of almost wet myself when I read it and consequently missed the first half of the listening pratically.

Erk. Just as well I don't need it.

#20 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:39 PM

The only past paper we had was from 2002, my school didn't run it other years, so I'm glad I knew the current format! They seem to change it really often.

I'm hoping for a B, I think the speaking will have brought my grade down slightly so I'll just have to see I guess. A few people in my class said they misjudged what topics to revise for the discursive writing, and one girl wrote one line saying "I'm in 5th year, and I haven't done Higher - please be nice to me" and walked out laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users