Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Luminol - HSN forum

Luminol

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jammie1000000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

I am doing an investigation on luminol and how the concentrations/temperature affects the length of time the glow lasts for but my teacher says that it isnt complex enough to gain me the marks. Any ideas how to make it up to advanced higher level. He says that i should possibly look at kinetics. :S

#2 Tux78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

Draw a graph of Concentration against time and then differentiate to find the Gradient of the tangent. this will give you the rate of reaction at a particular concentration. Repeat for double the concentration to determine the order of the reaction. Look at the topic on scholar to get some ideas. Its working out the rate of reaction that you need for kinetics. Not sure if that is exactly what you mean but hope it helps in someways.

#3 Marcus

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Guitar - Passed my grade 6 :D :D<br />Write computer programs - won Heriot-Watt programming challenge 2006 and 2007 :D<br />

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(Tux78 @ Jan 30 2008, 06:58 PM) View Post
Draw a graph of Concentration against time and then differentiate to find the Gradient of the tangent. this will give you the rate of reaction at a particular concentration. Repeat for double the concentration to determine the order of the reaction. Look at the topic on scholar to get some ideas. Its working out the rate of reaction that you need for kinetics. Not sure if that is exactly what you mean but hope it helps in someways.

this would work, but how will you calculate the concentration at particular times, AFAIK luminol isn't an acid/alkali (but i could be wrong) so pH is out of the question. A sightly more feasible method would be to pick a constant point in the reaction (eg, when the glow falls to a certain brightness), time how long it took to reach that, then take the reciprocal of time(\frac{1}{time}). This would only worked if the end point was the same for all concentrations.
=-=-=Marcus=-=-=

#4 Jammie1000000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:08 AM

That is what i haev done so far but my chemistry teacher said that it was inaccurate and not to advanced higher level.

#5 Marcus

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Guitar - Passed my grade 6 :D :D<br />Write computer programs - won Heriot-Watt programming challenge 2006 and 2007 :D<br />

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(Jammie1000000 @ Mar 10 2008, 09:08 AM) View Post
That is what i haev done so far but my chemistry teacher said that it was inaccurate and not to advanced higher level.

But isn't the whole concept of kinetics advanced higher?
I looked into the reaction. It seems the reaction involves OH- ions? This means as reaction progresses pH will fall. You can maybe measure rate of reaction using change in pH?

This website seems to provide some very good background for this reaction, including a very...erm...interesting method of determining rate; you should suggest it to your teacher lol tongue.gif
=-=-=Marcus=-=-=

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users