Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Investigation - HSN forum

Investigation

12 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:13 PM

We have been asked to submit our proposals for our investigations and i am totally lost. Any advice on what to do?

What are the rest of you's planning doing?

#2 cra88y

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:48 AM

Im doing a test to find out the alchols present in vodka!

To do this I've needed to make my own gas chromatography (very tricky) and I'm in the middle of passing alkenes through it - alchols are a liquid and cant be done so just dehydrate them and you get an alkene...apparently. After that I'm sure that theres at least another 10,000 things that can go wrong but hey...thats chemistry!

The other people in my class are doing:
Synthesis of Aspirn
Testing of minerals in water

Just for some ideas

biggrin.gif Mike biggrin.gif

#3 Daniel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:29 PM

hehe sounds like a hard, but enjoyable investigation smile.gif. We were asked today, "Take this week to think about what you'd like to do your investigation on."

We had a few laughs about it, and telling us things not to try, lol

"...things like investigating the boiling temperature of water!..."

I have no idea of what im gonna do for mine.

#4 rennie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:27 PM

i was planning on testing the effectivness of antacid tablets using a technique known as a back titration i was also going to look at the rate at which a tablet neutralises acid

#5 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:28 PM

ok i have absolutely no clue wot to do for my investigation!? no one does, we can only think of funny things which i dont think the teacher will appreciate !

user posted image

#6 RGerrard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:23 PM

Hi all.

My investigation starts tomorrow. I am going to be testing to see if aspirin help to transport Cu(II) ions across a simple membrane.

It has been suggested that I use visking tubing for the membrane, but anyone that does biology will back me up in saying that there is many other ways of crossing membranes.

Anyway, I think it should be quite interesting - plenty of things that can go wrong tho!

When is everyone else starting theirs?

#7 Douglas

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:32 PM

Starting mine after christmas i think in the process of deciding which wines to test.

#8 Alison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:52 PM

Ask to see the Starter Investigations pack - loads of ideas in there. (your teacher will have this!)

Suggestions:

Degree of unsaturation in oils - using Iodine number method

Analysis of commercial aspirin tablets

Sulphur dioxide content of white wine

Vitamin C extraction from Green vegetables (yawn!)

Fermentation - takes ages - need to have 2 fermenters set up at a time..

Growing crystals - Liesegang rings (need about 1 month!) smile.gif

#9 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:04 PM

Here is the Investigation pack. smile.gif tongue.gif

#10 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:17 PM

ok i have my title for my investigation now. how are you all getting on? it was quite hard tryin to think of one but my teach marks the investigations each year so he was able to give us good pointers. wot are you all doing ?

Gill x
user posted image

#11 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

I think I'm doing one with Vitamin C but I'm not 100% sure yet.

What you doing yours on?

#12 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:51 PM

im doin it on enzymes. nah im not like even 50% sure yet! lol
user posted image

#13 abigaildav

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(RGerrard @ Nov 22 2004, 05:23 PM)
I am going to be testing to see if aspirin help to transport Cu(II) ions across a simple membrane.

View Post

Hi, I'm doing my investigation on this as well but am unsure how you are meant to measure whether it has helped or not. Presume you do some measure of conc but what? titration? precipitation? colorimetry? ...
Please help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users