Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Complex numbers - HSN forum

Complex numbers

3 replies to this topic

#1 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

Hi

was wondering if anyone could help out with a niggling problem.

Complex numbers as a whole is fine- but i can't figure out (or find a lot of info)- on finding out how to calculate the reciprocal of a complex number!

i.e.

1 / (a + bi)

Thanks in advance folks.

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

Just use the conjugate complex number rule, so what you end up with is:

(a-bi) / [ (a+bi) * (a-bi) ]

#3 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

Just to give a little bit of explanation, we start with \frac1{a+bi}. If we multiply the a+bi by its complex conjugate, a-bi, then we'll just get a real number.

So if we multiply by 

\begin{align*}\frac{a-bi}{a-bi}\end{align*}

, we'll get a real number on the bottom. Also, we've just multiplied by 1 so our answer is the same as the original expression.

If you remember "rationalising the denominator" from Standard Grade, it's a bit like that.

#4 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(George @ Nov 7 2007, 08:42 AM) View Post
Just to give a little bit of explanation, we start with \frac1{a+bi}. If we multiply the a+bi by its complex conjugate, a-bi, then we'll just get a real number.

So if we multiply by 

\begin{align*}\frac{a-bi}{a-bi}\end{align*}

, we'll get a real number on the bottom. Also, we've just multiplied by 1 so our answer is the same as the original expression.

If you remember "rationalising the denominator" from Standard Grade, it's a bit like that.

cheers guys. Sorry, clearly had a blonde moment as this is pretty easy stuff. Also thought as well that seeing as 1 is a complex number anyway (1 + 0i) - then you could do (1+0i)/(complex number) and that would do the same thing. Slight bit more faffin' around though doing the latter.

Thanks again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users