Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Strathclyde Open Day - HSN forum

Strathclyde Open Day

16 replies to this topic

#1 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:16 PM

Hi

I just wondered there may have been several of you at Strathclyde's open day today and I just wondered what people think of the university?

I was fairly impressed by it, the stands for individual departments were very imformative and helpful, and it even opened my eyes up to a few career paths you can pursue with subjects that I never thought of.

I went to Maths, and was amazed at the jobs that are available to graduates, and apparently for those doing Computing, this year they are introducing smaller classes where you get more contact with a lecturer to help with any problems between the transition from Higher Comp/AH Comp to Uni.

Anyone else enjoy the day?
Mark

#2 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

Wasnt entirely impressed.

I like the degree structure but I'll need to see what Glasgow is like.

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:06 PM

Well I thought one the buildings was a bit disappointing, looked awful run down inside, paint falling off the walls :S

I still can't decide tho, so I am waiting for glasgow 2moro too!
Mark

#4 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:14 PM

Yeah i thot sum of the building were a bit run down too!
But overall i thot it was quite good n the lecture theatre/rooms were quite nice inside. I liked the idea of the flexibility you got with the modern languages degrees!

Still not any further forward on where i want to go though? unsure.gif

Anyone else at the languages one?? Wot was tht guy like? lol! tongue.gif

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:04 PM

it's funny to think we could have all seen each other without noticing it anyway i liked Strathclyde ok yes i agree the place is a little tatty but that would be education for you (if your school is in better condition i am enrolling tomorrow wink.gif ) anyway i spend 10 days living up there with the Space School i went to and i liked the place so i am settled on where i am going

Still going to Glasgow Uni tomorrow tho laugh.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, Strathclyde was ok. Quite organised, which appealed to me. I may be messy, but I like organisation.

I just went for the day out, right enough. It was quite good though. I went to some Chemistry lecture thinger and the woman was going on about forensic chemistry and it sounded really good. But I don't want to do science. I was quite bored when the wee bloke before her was talking, so I just sat and shuffled about instead of listening.

I'm like a three year old sometimes.

#7 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:58 PM

I was at Strathclyde and didn't like it much. It was quite kewl but I don't know, it just didn't seem right. I didn't get in to see the talk that I was interested in which made it worse.

I went to the chemistry lecture, the 2 guys were boring dry.gif but the forensic bit seemed kewl. Had to leave before the demo though due to a moany friend.

I liked Glasgow a lot better, it seemed to have a nicer atmosphere somehow! I'll probably do Biology/Psychology/History there.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#8 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:00 PM

Ooh, I was at that lecture too! How weird is that, we were in the same room!

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:11 PM

Our School were moaning about we should only take one day off this week so choose whether its the Starthclyde/ Glasgow and Glasgow Cale Day your going to. I actually went to them all and have decided that Strathclyde it is. Did anyone go to the Business Law/law talk there or the Accounting and Finance talk?
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#10 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:08 PM

I went to the Accounting talk, if it was the one at 10.30. I didn't think it was that good, told you nothing that wasn't in the prospectus.
Mark

#11 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:30 PM

I went to Strathclyde and really liked it.

Did anyone else find the student helpers at Glasgow really unhelpful and rude?

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:27 PM

about the glasgow student helpers i can't really say because i didn't really have much contact with them but they did seem very clinical in their approach to us tho

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 11 2004, 12:27 PM)
about the glasgow student helpers i can't really say because i didn't really have much contact with them but they did seem very clinical in their approach to us tho

View Post

They were very cheeky, I asked one of them how to get to Cali University from Glasgow Uni and he just went 'Why would I know anything about that University' rolleyes.gif

#14 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Sep 9 2004, 09:11 PM)
Our School were moaning about we should only take one day off this week so choose whether its the Starthclyde/ Glasgow and Glasgow Cale Day your going to. I actually went to them all and have decided that Strathclyde it is. Did anyone go to the Business Law/law talk there or the Accounting and Finance talk?

View Post

I think i was in the one about business law was that the one that was combined with normal law? unsure.gif

Wot course u gona do Louise?

#15 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:48 PM

I went there! But all I did was go to the student union and watch a band [The Ghosties!] And then I met up with a chum smile.gif
@

#16 andy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:31 PM

I thought strathclyde was much better than Glasgow, the union was great biggrin.gif Although I thought the helpers at Glasgow were very friendly. Couldn't understand some of the guys at Starthclyde, Russians or something huh.gif

#17 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:26 PM

I went to both as well but I'm not sure what one I liked better, the whole hogwarts thing going on at glasgow is great biggrin.gif I didn't go to the computer science talk for strathclyde though, it was on at 1pm or around then and I left at 12..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users