Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
integration question - HSN forum

integration question

4 replies to this topic

#1 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

integrate with respect to x: (x^(1/2))/(1+x)

cheers

#2 weerydo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

ok you need to bring the (1+x) up 2 the top so the second line would be.

(x^1/2)(1+x)^-1

then use the chain rule...if you need any more help message me - better letting you try it for yourself from there

#3 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(weerydo @ Oct 12 2007, 08:11 PM) View Post
ok you need to bring the (1+x) up 2 the top so the second line would be.

(x^1/2)(1+x)^-1

then use the chain rule...if you need any more help message me - better letting you try it for yourself from there
I can't see where this is going? I think you might be trying to differentiate this by mistake.

Paddy, try the substituion x=\tan^2 u. I end up with 2\sqrt{x} - 2arctan(\sqrt{x}) + C
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#4 madman69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

An easier substitution would be x=u^2. While using tan^2 x is more intuitive, it wastes a lot of effort since you have to substitute twice to get it in to a form where you can integrate to obtain a tan^(-1) function.

#5 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

cheers guys, i think for forms like that you're just meant to fire in a tan substitution (half angle mainly). like madman said its not always the easiest but apparently it always works.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users