Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help me with subjects please! - HSN forum

Help me with subjects please!

4 replies to this topic

#1 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hey - I'm looking for some other opinions of people.

Basically in my exams I got A-Geography A-Info Systems B-Biology B-Maths C-English.

I was quite dissapointed with my English to be honest as I personally know I can do, and deserved, better based upon the effort and work I had put in all year. I feel the grade I got in the final exam simply does not represent the amount of work I put in throughout and what I was capable of - although I was extremely pleased I passed. As my teacher agrees she is appealing for me so hopefully will somehow get it up a grade...

Anyway I spoke to my guidance teacher and she suggested that I should do English again and if I get my appeal I can simply drop out.

At the present time it's down that I am studying Modies, Admin, Computing & English in sixth year.

I then spoke to the head of my year as I heard that Business Studies is now available to do which I am interested in. Whilst looking at my subjects she said she feels it is a complete waste of my time to study English for a second year and that a lot of university courses will accept my C. She said it obviously relates to what I want to do, but to be honest I'm pretty unsure at the moment, and she said only some very specific courses will require more than a C for the English and she strongly reccomends I do not waste a year. She says this as she feels instead of wasting a year to try and improve I could do a completely different higher and walk out with an A and therefore have more points to my name.

She said I should also consider doing an advanced higher, but the only one I would be vaguely interested in and actually able to pass, would be Information Systems which isn't offered at my school. She is therefore going to see if I can study it elsewhere.

Basically I'd appreciate if you could let me know your opinions on the subjects I am taking and what you would maybe do in my position. If I take up Business Studies it means I must drop Modern Studies - and I don't really know which I would prefer to have.

I know a lot of you will say it depends what I want to do and it's up to me, but I'm basically just looking for a bit of impartial advice that could maybe help me. Thanks a lot - really appreciate it! smile.gif

#2 sweetchick01

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Allan_r_123 @ Aug 16 2007, 04:44 PM) View Post
Basically in my exams I got A-Geography A-Info Systems B-Biology B-Maths C-English.

As my teacher agrees she is appealing for me so hopefully will somehow get it up a grade...

Anyway I spoke to my guidance teacher and she suggested that I should do English again and if I get my appeal I can simply drop out.

At the present time it's down that I am studying Modies, Admin, Computing & English in sixth year.

I then spoke to the head of my year as I heard that Business Studies is now available to do which I am interested in.

Basically I'd appreciate if you could let me know your opinions on the subjects I am taking and what you would maybe do in my position. If I take up Business Studies it means I must drop Modern Studies - and I don't really know which I would prefer to have.

I know a lot of you will say it depends what I want to do and it's up to me, but I'm basically just looking for a bit of impartial advice that could maybe help me. Thanks a lot - really appreciate it! smile.gif

ok ... ... i'll start with the easy bit ... ... ... it really does depend on what you want to do when you finish up.

anyway as that doesn't really help here is my advice

English

- would your year head just let you sit the final exam without having to sit through all the classes again. you must have passed all your nabs so could you just relearn the things you need for the final exam
- or could you start another subject now and drop it when the appeal results come through and switch to english, seen as you have done the nabs does it matter if you miss the first month or so
- can you face going through another year of english? not tempting fate but what if you messed up next year and came out with a C again?

mods/ BS

- 1st is the mods a crash or have you already done it at SG?
-you already have an A in info systems and are sitting admin and computing so do you really need a 4th "computing" type subject?
- would you not be better with a change especially if your still not sure what you want to do (all your eggs in one basket and that sort of thing)

AH Info systems
- this one could be difficult to fit into your timetable if you are moving from say school to school
- could you not do an AH in geog, maths or bio??might be easier if your school is running it?

i know this is a lot but there is so much to it unsure.gif
hope this has helped you.
come back and tell us what you decide on
good luck rolleyes.gif

xx

#3 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to reply to me. You have no idea how much I really do appreciate it as it is simply helping me look at the situation in further lights and consider different aspects I perhaps already havn't.

One of my friends is sitting the final English exam but is not doing the actual course over which I would consider doing - especially considering I done well all year and passed all my nabs. Out of curiosity though - will the SQA return the stuff I have appealed with? (eg. all my critical essay work throughout this year) I agree with you that to be honest I really just can't be bothered sitting through the year of it again when I might end up walking out with the exact same grade - especially when I may not specifically need it for anything.

I am currently crashing modern studies but as I got an A in geography my teacher thinks I should have a good chance. I would also be crashing Business Studies. I think the Business Studies idea is perhaps a bit too much as I agree that the moving of schools etc. would cause a bit of chaos and like you say I do already have a computing type subject under my belt and am undertaking a further 2 this year which I got 1's in or both SG.

Info Systems is the only AH I would be interested in tbh as the only other ones my school is offering which I can take are Maths & Biology - both of which I think i must have scraped my B pass's as I really havn't done too great in them throughout the year and didn't enjoy them in the slightest.

Also as an additional question.
I have been looking at courses and am kinda drawn towards Optometry at Caledonian. I currently have the requirements apart from the fact it requires Standard Grade Physics - which I do not have. I strongly doubt I would be able to crash Higher Physics in one year along with 3 other subjects to be honest... So is there any possible way I could sitll apply for the course getting around it? Although it says it is required would they perhaps overlook it if I had other subjects?

All help is appreciated dearly. Thanks. smile.gif

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

No they won't look over the Physics requirement

#5 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

Okay well I think I'm perhaps gonna leave the whole Phsyics thing as I don't know if I'd actually like Optometry all that much. If I end up changing my mind later theres always college or something...

I spoke to my English teacher and she said that I should re-sit the English course. She said a lot of people try to do better like I am and don't but she believes I have the ability to do so and that I am unfortunately in circumstances of which I do not deserve. I told this to my head of year and she therefore said she thinks I should take the English course for a week and see how it goes...

To be honest I think having the English could open up a lot more doors to me and I just kinda wanna prove it to myself that I know I can do better than I did...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users