Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Human Biology and Biology - is one simply better? - HSN forum

Human Biology and Biology - is one simply better?

4 replies to this topic

#1 specofdust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi folks,

Trying to decide whether to do human bio or just regular biology next year, and I'm hoping you can all shed some light on my choice. From what I already understand, the two are only really similar in unit 1 where they both cover cellular biology. But does either one cover any cellular biology in any depth after that (that's my interest in biology really)?

I'm really unsure of which to pick, ecology doesn't strike me as particularly interesting - but neither does reproduction, heart function etc.

I'm not going on to do any specifically biology course at uni. I am vaguely considering a biochem course or something that would combine chemistry and biology though.

Thanks everyone.

#2 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:MSN,Music,TV

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:21 PM

I did Human Bio this year and yes both types do Cell Biology. In Human Bio it covers cell transport such as active transport and phagocytosis,protein synthesis,respiration. It also covers the cells which help to fight infection in the body. After that there isn't much more to cells. Mainly Unit 1 for cells. Some parts of the normal Biology course also cover some of the same stuff from Human. From Unit 2 onwards both are very different i think.

#3 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Theres not a whole lot on ecology in plain biology. Personally I would definately go for biology but I like plants and such. For biochem theres the photosynthesis cycle extra from human, but I think human might have some cell signalling. You do plant cells and animal cells in normal bio, transpiration has some cell biology in it, as does cellular defences of plants. Does human biology do biotechnology? I'm just trying to pick out the bits I think you might like. oh genetics, you get more genetics on normal biology.
You don't really go into great detail for cell biology for either until AH.
TBH I don't think it really matters which you choose.

QUOTE(biology)
D029 12 Cell Biology (H)
Cell Structure in Relation to Function
Photosynthesis
Energy Release
Synthesis and Release of Proteins
Cellular Response in Defence in Animals and Plants
D030 12 Genetics and Adaptation (H)
Variation
Selection and Speciation
Animal and Plant Adaptations
D031 12 Control and Regulation (H)
Control of Growth and Development
Physiological Homeostasis
Population Dynamics

QUOTE(human biology)
D043 12 Cell Function and Inheritance (H)
The Role of Enzymes in Cell Metabolism
Protein Synthesis
Energy Transfer
Cell Transport
Cellular Response in Defence
Inheritance
D044 12 The Continuation of Life (H)
Reproduction
Development
Transport Mechanisms
Delivery of Materials to Cells
Removal of Materials from the Blood
Regulating Mechanisms
D045 12 Behaviour, Populations and the Environment (H)
Nervous System and Memory
Behaviour
Population Growth and the Environment

(I'm bored)
Everyone who done normal biology says it's better, everyone who done human says human is better.
*go normal!*

#4 specofdust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the reply, think I'll aim to do Biology if I can next year then. If you were being serious about everyone enjoying it more, since I want to enjoy my subjects. Ta.

#5 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

Well I did both (don't ask why, I don't know now!!) and "normal" biology is probably best if you're not into the physiology side of things much, because that's what human goes into quite a lot. They're probably both the same in terms of the amount of detail since it's AH where that really comes in I think.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users